Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Morbid Florist posted:

And doesn't it figure Gorgoroth whips up bullshit internal drama right when I come around to them. Ad Majorem got me into them and by the sounds of things it will be their last album together. Which of the two sides is largely responsible for their music, or do they actually all contribute?

King had been writing most of the last few albums (ever since he joined for Incipit Satan, really) and all of Ad Majorem. Basically, King wrote all the music for Ad Majorem alone, with no creative input from Infernus at all. Infernus basically just recorded his guitar parts. Gaahl, of course, wrote and recorded his vocals right before he did that stint in prison.

Infernus, with the exception of one or two songs along the way, hasn't been doing much of the songwriting since Destroyer. That, on top of his allegedly being belligerent and disrespectful to basically about everyone, is the reason why they want to continue without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Morbid Florist posted:

Oh so Infernus is one faction, Gaahl and King are the other? I see.

Pretty much. Also, though Gaahl and King control the main website and the Gorgoroth myspace account, I think they may be prepared for a name change if they have to since the website is now "theforcegorgoroth.org."

And re-reading that post, I should try posting less whilst just awakening, I make a lot of redundant statements. :(

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Avant Gardening posted:

Black Murder, Vlad Tepes, and Mutiilation's Vampires of Black Imperial Blood and Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul are very good raw black metal.

I honestly cannot stand anything at all that ever came out of the Les Legions Noires scene and I think that whole movement was really a waste of everyone's time. It is exactly what you'd expect out of a bunch of bored, weird French teenagers. (As opposed to a bunch of bored, weird Norwegian teenagers, I know, but at least they tried harder.)

het posted:

The Goat Problem is right that if you're looking for punk-inspired, you should probably check The Cult Is Alive. Their newest, F.O.A.D., is also good though it's more old school metal-inspired than punk (granted a lot of those inspirations are thrash). For what it's worth, I like Transilvanian Hunger a whole lot more than A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

I absolutely love Transilvanian Hunger vs. everything else but I do think that the intentionally bad production tends to turn people off (whereas I think that's part of their charm). Sardonic Wrath might be a good album for someone just getting into Darkthrone, since it still kind of takes itself a bit seriously but still has some songs with great riffs and enough blend of the punk and metal influences to go around.

Also, I may be the only person on Earth who thinks Plaguewielder was actually a pretty drat good album.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Resistance posted:

Alright, needless to say, I am a black metal noob. I am new to the genre, and thus am looking for some recommendations. What are some "MUST LISTEN TO" Black metal albums/bands? Recommend away! :)
Thanks.

Immortal's Pure Holocaust is on iTunes for $6. Get it now.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Bobulot posted:

I look up "Abbath in snow" and bam look at the top image result

I think "Abbath in snow" would leave you grim and frostbitten.

Mainly frostbitten. And it would be hard to use soap.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

brightfield posted:

I may get crucified for saying this, but I was just listening to some of the new Alcest. Since I have never heard their "black metal" side (and I find it hard to believe they ever were), I rather dig their sound. It's just not BM. It's like a lot of the indie pop that I listen to. Well, let the arrows and crucifixes fly! I can take it.

I have heard Tristesse Hivernale and yes, they indeed once were quite black metal, but even then you get large hints that Neige wanted to go in the direction he eventually took Alcest. By no means could I consider Souvenirs remotely black metal, though, but I still love it no matter what genre one wishes to attach it to.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

DB_Cooper posted:

Alcest sounds exactly like filosfem era Burzum meets My Bloody Valentine.

I have to take exception to your comparison to Filosofem, considering Neige doesn't use twenty minute four note new age synths, repetitive and ultra-slow trebly riffs, or highly distorted yelps on the worst possible mic he can find on Souvenirs. Hell, Tir Nan Og is probably one of the tamest songs you can imagine and you could slip it in your mom's Celtic Sounds collection and she'd hardly be the wiser.

I know that isn't a ringing endorsement for the kvlt and grim, but Filosofem and Souvenirs d'un autre monde couldn't sound less alike.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Razor posted:

I was in a mall in Michigan with my sister a while back, and she wanted to stop in FYE. Their metal collection was fairly extensive for what I'd expected when I first walked in. It's been a while, but I distinctly recall seeing Arcturus, Bathory, Dissection, Emperor, and Immortal all behind dedicated tabs.
Being that those artists are either on Candlelight, Century Media, Nuclear Blast, or The End, they're not hard to find at all anymore, and it's becoming increasingly easier as awareness of black metal becomes more prevalent. Granted, tracking down some of the underground bands is still going to be difficult, but I've even seen Burzum on store shelves around here. (Granted, it's been mostly Hlidskjalf and Daudi Baldrs at the FYE, but I did see Filosofem and Det Som Engang Var at the HMV in downtown Vancouver.) You probably won't find it at Best Buy or Walmart any time soon though.

And of course, the iTunes Music Store invalidates all of this distribution question, but most people do not actively research artists, which is what you'd need to do in order to find the obscure stuff.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Street Butler posted:

I really need to get De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas soon.

DMDS is a funny animal to me because my appreciation of it came in waves. At first, my reaction was 'ugh, Attila's vocals!' Then, I actually started liking his vocals (with the exception of whatever he was doing in the title track). Also, I thought the songs all sounded the same, but each song revealed itself to me in a different way later on, and now I can appreciate the whole album as just something dark and intense. I don't know if I'm the only one whose reacted this way to it, but it was a strange evolution. It may not be a compositional masterpiece but the atmosphere in it is its greatest strength.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Concrete posted:

Not NSBM obviouisly, but Dissection is my favourite band. I've gotten past my dislike for Jon Nodtvedt, same goes for bands like Gorgoroth, Burzum. Fortunately Jon never went political with his lyrics. gently caress knows what Gaahl is singing about, though.

Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

NeoSeeker posted:

The new hanzel und gretyl album came out yesterday...

Hanzel und Gretyl is pretty much firmly in the industrial metal camp, not black metal at all. They even dress up in that cybergoth garb you can find at any industrial night. Also, the German thing is a gimmick; they're both from New York City.

So yeah, I've known about them for yeeeeears and they've always bored me.