Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Man, I can't wait for the new Taake and Leviathan albums! Apparently the Leviathan album has been done for a while, but Moribund is just sitting on it for some reason... HURRY UP!

Xynobia posted:

This is more of a Recommendations Thread question, but you guys will be more to the point...

So I want to get into Darkthrone but don't know where to begin, and I'm told that their early/mid/late periods are all very different (aren't they like a crust punk band now?). Is the only route in A Blaze In the Northern Sky, or is there another door to take? I'm not huge into BM in general, so anything that's super lo-fi or cheesy is probably a bad route. Punk or death inspired is good. Help?

I would say start out with Ravishing Grimness. The whole album is just so drat catchy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Its been a little less than 10 years since I spent 10+ years listening to metal 24/7, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

poo poo like:

Taake - Nattestid/Bjoergvin/Doedskvad
Leviathan - Tenth Sublevel.../Massive Conspiracy...

were pretty much my absolute sweet-spots before I dipped out. What have missed in the last years?

2009 was probably when I stopped actively following stuff.

Edit: hahaha, obviously there are probably a million great albums, but I mean similar in production and style to the mentioned albums.

moflika fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 23, 2018

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough.

Already doing that plus jumping down plenty of bandcamp rabbit holes. Just thought maybe someone might have something they wanted to shout out.

Finding new stuff is hard :effort: Makes me wonder how big of a role nostalgia plays in the older stuff I listen to.

I'm way more critical now, and let fewer things into the mix.

Regardless, point taken.

moflika fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 26, 2018

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Sweet, thanks. Yeah, I followed Leviathan and Taake loosely through the years.

Found some newer Chaos Moon material. Randomly found Batushka a few days ago, so already seeing some similarities.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Listen to Mgła's "With Hearts Toward None" loving immediately

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

void omnia - dying light

YES! :cheers:

nomapple posted:

I think the entire fallen empire records catalogue will be new to you and is worth a look for sure:

https://bandcamp.fallenempirerecords.com/

gently caress yeah, already found: "Martröð - Transmutation of Wounds"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
No worries, you had a point.

Thanks for the rec.

edit: Finally got around to it... NICE!

moflika fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 29, 2018