Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

I'll probably get poo poo because they aren't true black metal or whatever, but Wolves in the Throne Room, especially their newest album loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Can anyone reccommend some black metal like Wolves in the Throne Room? I seem to be fitting that hipster definition really well, as I love Alcest and Wolves but can't stand the majority of black metal. I've tried listening to the older stuff (Mayhem, Immortal, Burzum, etc.) and a few newer things (Deathspell Omega) but I don't like any of it.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

nomapple posted:

The album is definitely well produced, but I wouldn't say it's over produced. It's just a kick rear end big metal release with great riffs and stuff.

Also I just spent €20 on a copy of the Cosmic Church/Circle of Ouroboros split, only to discover it's up for repress imminently. Oh well, still excited to get my copy. Definitely going to be picking up a repress of the CC album from last year as well because it's absolutely stellar.

Ahhh, stoked to hear some Cosmic Church talk. Slept on buying the Ylistys LP and now I'm kicking myself, though I did manage to grab a copy of the Arcana Dei Trilogy, a comp of their early stuff. Awesome band, Ylistys is definitely top 5 black metal albums of 2013.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

nomapple posted:

Is this comp still available? I'd be interested to hear that. I slept on the LP as well but I think a repress is coming soon. I'm keeping my eye out and I'll post in here when I come across it. That label is great, I really need to pick up some Keres stuff from them.

New Mayhem track sounded dull and sterile.

Comp is out of print for now, Analog Worship randomly put up a couple copies that were being held and I grabbed one :unsmigghh:

Anyone else still sleeping on Ylistys, quit being a false and check it. quality nature-worshipping orthodox black metal.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

nomapple posted:

New Sargeist track is pretty solid: http://www.stereogum.com/1668209/sargeist-the-shunned-angel-stereogum-premiere/mp3s

Not exactly excited for this album, but I'll give it a listen as there seems to be a slow trickle of interesting BM at the moment.

Sargeist recordings have always been just alright for me, but from what I've heard they are absolutely destructive live.

EDIT: Speaking of Sargeist live, for anyone in NYC, don't be a false and go check out this ridiculously good fest:

kirkjames fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 6, 2014

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

m-o-o-n posted:

Out of those, Mare is the only band that interests me the slightest bit :shrug:

Celestial Bloodshed is (was) tight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAU6EMnz_BY

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

In today's black metal scene there are people who hate the entire universe, anti-islamic muslim BM, people who sing about botany and coal miners in Kentucky. But are there any feminist bands?

as far as like, strict black metal goes, there's barely any, which is a shame.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

X-Post from the vinyl thread.

New stuff came in:

new Teitanblood at the top, Cult of Fire and Cirrhus on the bottom

Cirrhus LP is dope, big time Transilvanian Hunger vibes. Although I think a ton of awesome BM is coming out right now, not a lot of bands around are aping that early lo-fi Norwegian sound as well as these dudes. Top notch.

Lots of talk about Teitanblood already, easily fav. album of 2014 so far and it's gonna be hard to top.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

nomapple posted:

Anyone got any other recs from 2014 so far? I hear good things about Enthroned from a few people, but I've never actually listened.

I think I've already talked about it, but the new Cirrhus LP is great. It technically was released at the end of december in 2013, but whatever. Haven't listened to the new Sargeist yet, and everything else is basically time filler until new poo poo from Diocletian and Bolzer come out.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

TheIllestVillain posted:

Is Bolzer ever going to release a full lengthed album because i've listened to Aura about 50 times since it came out i need more

While Bölzer absolutely crushes and I would be stoked for a full length, I realllly appreciate shorter releases. No matter how good a band is, very few full lengths keep an intensity through the whole thing. For me Reign in Blood is the gold standard. Takes balls to make a longer album that that.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Can we all agree that the best Mayhem album is the "Live in Leipzig" LP with Dead singing? That recording is heavier and more insane than anything Mayhem ever recorded. I still like DMDS and Deathcrush but that live album is PUNISHING.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Zodijackylite posted:

What? That album is terrible, sloppy and drunken. The last track is the only one where the band doesn't sound lethargic. It has none of the atmosphere of DMDS and none of the feeling of good earlier black metal like Bathory. It just sounds like a band that was tired, lethargic, and hadn't fully worked out what they were trying to do yet.

I just listened to it again, and sorry, but you're totally wrong. I'm now of the opinion that it's actually the only Mayhem worth listening to (maybe Deathcrush too). Also, don't bring the greatest black metal ever made into this, of course it's not as good as Bathory. Quorthon is untouchable.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

thegloaming posted:

If anyone has any recommendations from these or similar artists, much thanks! :black101:

everyone recommended some top poo poo, but two newer bands who realllllly pull off that cold, norweigian style really well are Cosmic Church and Cirrhus. I've probably been saying that poo poo for a while now but they rule!

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

A human heart posted:

getting hyped for the new bolzer ep, which is out on the 5th of august: http://invictusproductions666.bandcamp.com/album/soma

Nothing but the highest of expectations. "Aura" continues to be in constant rotation for me. Top loving tier.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Potential BFF posted:

I've been listening to Mgła, Kriegsmaschine, and Plaga almost exclusively lately. Poland seems to have a grip on the depressing, angry, and hateful these days, has Poland produced anything else I should look up?

I don't know how many times I have to try to get people to listen to Cultes des Ghoules!!! Cultes des Ghoules!!!! Also Blaze of Perdition and Bestial Raids are fantastic polish BM.

But seriously Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane is the most underrated LP of 2013. It is flawless!

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

For anyone who isn't convinced CdG is at the top most tier of current black metal, here's Mark of the Devil desecrating a priests grave:

(Maybe NWS because there's a corpse)

http://i.imgur.com/elnUY0b.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iZnpQqi.jpg

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Zodijackylite posted:

He's been ripping people off with this same poo poo for years. Do not trust him or any "associated" ever, period.

Perhaps the most detailed log of his ripoffs is here: http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36038

Listen to Shitfucker instead, if you like basement black/speed/thrash metal. I once heard them described as "the Maximum Oversatan of the midwest." If you don't, well, gently caress yourself. http://shitfucker.bandcamp.com/album/suck-cocks-in-hell

shitfucker is the best. if you can't party to "suck cocks in hell" you are lame and boring. Rock N' Roll Freaky Dude is a modern classic.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

By far the best part about the Mayhem tour is Revenge opening. They are better than anything Mayhem has ever done (save for Deathcrush and Live in Leipzig).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Skilleddk posted:

WATAIN is having a tour of Sweden, I heard their live shows are "interesting". Where do I start with them?

don't even bother. Listen to Craft instead.