Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

pugna posted:

edit: Also, I preordered the Blood of Kingu album from Supernal t'other day and expect it will be immense. The description of it on the Supernal site makes me spritzen in mein hosen:

So it's a Ukranian Melechesh :v:
I haven't even listened to Hate Forest but that description makes this sound very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sirius Sam posted:

How do people feel about Crystal Abyss's new album Word Of The Darkest Ages and Walknut's Graveforests And Their Shadows? I've had Walknut's album spinning since I it got a couple weeks ago, and it is amazing in my opinion. So is the new Crystal Abyss. This has been a good year for melodic BM.

I'm usually a fan of most of the melodic BM I hear, the Crystal Abyss album was great on first listen but none of the songs really stood out for me. It's a good album but I can't say a great one, I'll check out Walknut though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gvaz posted:

Honestly I don't want to look too hard to find out :psyduck:
It looks like a heavy metal band trying to be black metal or something tbqh.

if "trying to be black metal" means "giving him a blowjob through a saxophone"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gvaz posted:

Just got some of Mirrorthrone's "Of Wind and Weeping" and it comes in a nice packaging, and Shining's "V" album too. drat I can't get enough of Shining, anyone know a band like them I should give a try?

I thought you were talking about Mirrorthrone's new album :( Has that leaked yet? The release date was supposed to be in March anyway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Finally got to listen to Mirrorthrone's new album, Gangrene.

I usually don't judge until a couple of listens but goddamn this is awesome.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's called hipster metal because for whatever reason it just happens to appeal to them. I've never been to one, but everyone that's been to a Wolves In The Throne Room concert said it was more hipsters than metalheads.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Death Rotisserie posted:

Darkspace - Dark Space III is out and it's the best BM album I've heard thus far this year. Ambient as hell but there are some loving killer riffs in here; totally unexpected.

Yeah, it's a bit too ambient for my tastes but the album itself makes up for that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

deltawing posted:

If you enjoy Sons of Northern Darkness, you're in luck because At the Heart of Winter and Damned in Black are both in the same vein. Highly recommended.

np: Mirrorthrone - De l’Échec et de son Essentialité [point 1. marginalité démystifiée] "Carriers of Dust"

Anyone else into Mirrorthrone? Victor, the mastermind behind Mirrorthrone, amongst other bands, is an absolute genius! If you want to check them out, I highly recommend Gangrene and Carriers of Dust.

I recently started listening to Keep of Kalessin. The riffing on Armada is totally sinister, and kicks your rear end right away with Crown of the Kings.

Mirrorthrone's been pimped a lot in this and the other thread a lot of it was by me I think :shobon: I really like his newest album, unfortunately I cannot say the same for Keep of Kalessin's. It's not bad but I find myself just listening to Armada again.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

m-o-o-n posted:

Satan... *sips cosmopolitan*

hahahah

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WantlessPonder posted:

I only know of one record store we have in Stockholm that would work like that, and at the same time actually have a decent range of black metal albums, but I forgot its name... I don't even know if it's still active these days. All other decent stores (that I know of) have had to close down unfortunately. And if I'd go to, for example, Rocks or Åhlens (popular store chains) they would have higher prices, and probably not have the albums I was looking for (and I've never seen any "used bins" at these places). This way I at least got 98% of the stuff I was looking for, and scored a book for $1! :suicide:

Man all of Europe has super expensive CDs. I was in Sweden, Norway and Finland and you would think Metal would be cheaper there; $20 for an EP?!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Misogynist posted:

There's a lot of different styles, so here's my typical laundry list of avant-garde/progressive metal in the black/viking vein so you can pop on MySpace or wherever and find them for yourself:

Good list, but another pretty commonly mentioned one is Unexpect - the easiest introduction to their music is the WE_Invaders EP, their latest album is really jumpy.

Also the vocalist from Peccatum released a new album under the name Starofash (It's Ihsahn's wife!) It's similar to Peccatum without the metal aspects so its still worth checking out.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

anticake posted:

Wasn't Gallows Gallery received so poorly they got dropped from their label? The followup, also alliteration at work Hangman's Hymn, is pretty awesome though.

They left their label because the production the label did on it was so poo poo.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gr31lly posted:

Yeah, it was bland and uninteresting.

As for female vocals, Dana Duffey always did a good job in Mythic and the vocals are fine in Demonic Christ.

Having folk elements that for once aren't European in origin = bland and uninteresting?

For what it's worth I like Darkestrah a lot for at least trying something different. I like the music too though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gr31lly posted:

No, the album just never seemed to take off, the pacing is too singular.

Epos was a lot better in my opinion, and that was an entire album as a single song, which is much harder to pull off.

And for the record there's plenty of folk instrumentation in bands that isn't European. Go Listen to Xibalba's Ah Dzam Poop Ek.
I read it as the band being bland and not the album, my bad. Silk Road wasn't as good as Epos was, but I wouldn't go straight to calling it bland.
I know that there are a lot of bands that don't use European instrumentation/rhythms but it's nowhere near as widespread as the European ones - I'll check out Xibalba, though

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gvaz posted:

-____- gently caress that movie and any of the shits that enjoy it.

Though on topic, varg looks pretty god drat old now after spending what, 10~ years in prison?

I have those pants
Edit: hahahaha is that a picture of him glumly stomping on flowers

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 25, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stoo posted:

The show itself was absolutely stolen by a wonderful Icelandic band on support duty called Sólstafir who before then, i'd never even heard of. A weird combination of stoner-y post-black space-metal that you could just lose yourself in. I love seeing a previously unknown band and walking out of the venue completely sold on them, and these guys absolutely nailed it.

I've only heard their latest album but I liked it, it's sort of a bunch of other rock subgenres mixed with black metal, which is becoming increasingly common. Different songs switch it up but I can definitely hear some similarities to Primordial, Anathema and Amesoeurs.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

It seems that the new Krallice album, Dimensional Bleedthrough, has leaked. Review to follow...

thanks for the head's up, was wondering about it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

quote:

Dmitriy Komyakov (Chelyabinsk, Russia): Are there in your opinion any effective measures that may be taken against islamization of Europe?

Yes. The most effective measure would of course be to get rid of the "elected" governments in Europe, by voting for so-called right wing extremist parties, but if that fails we can always -- and probably will eventually -- use the Richard Lionheart method. :-)

quote:

Richard the Lionheart Makes Peace with Saladin, 1192

Let's namedrop things we don't understand

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

When people decide to mix primitive, ugly metal with loving shoegaze, the shark has long been jumped.

Alcest did this by mistake, proving that Black Metal basically IS shoegaze just with yelling

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

eh I saw that documentary but to be honest the only thing I liked about it was seeing these countries. the music is nothing special. I appreciate what they're going through but to me it was more informative about the region than it was about anything music related.

The middle east is not open minded, film at 11.

There are lots of metal bands in the middle east, the only reason it's a life or death thing in Iraq is because leaving your house in the morning is a life or death thing in Iraq

Still enjoyed the movie though

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I don't care that they're not BM at all. I'm just saying with this album they're even further from Black Metal than normal.
Actually the first couple of songs could pass for BM, at least moreso than Souvenirs. I liked the new album, but if I went in expecting BM I probably wouldn't.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

scrabbleship posted:

First new Immortal video out since "Grim and Frostbitten Kingdoms". The highlights for me were the pelvic thrusts during the solo and the extremely lame appearance by Demonaz. Good to see him with the band regardless.
I'm honestly glad that it didn't become a super self referential inside joke after all their videos attained youtube meme status. Sure it was cheesy but I think no matter what Immortal does from now on people are going to look at it in the context of "the band with the worst video ever"

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

QPZIL posted:

I picked up the White/Grey vinyls at the last Agalloch show I was at, it's one of my prized posessions now. The White is such an amazing album.

Man I have the limited edition of Ashes that came with pics of the band looking forlorn and an actual bag of ash (lol) and even I know that their non album releases are generally not that great. I dig all the main albums (Pale Folklore, Mantle, Ashes, Marrow) But I remember people being so dissapointed by The Gray they thought Agalloch would never release another good album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dead Man Posting posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uwn5lbKaIc

Megadeth in video games. I am rather indifferent. The Japanese feel of the game is going against Megadeth somehow. Though I am entertained by the guy that removes his own head and you can control it rolling around.

All I hear is this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCNyNmuFSlw