Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Richard Blaine posted:

I'm hoping for some metal suggestions. I really really liked Therion - Secret of the Runes and Otyg and Lumsk. Any other bands like that - sort of folk/viking metal with epic themes? Anything in English like this that is good?

Please tell me that you've checked out the unholy trinity of Borknagar, Vintersorg, and Solefald. This is what you're looking for, and the aforementioned Vintersorg was the lead guy behind Otyg, and now currently screams for Borknagar.

And they do sing in English, to varying degrees of success.

Also, the main Metal Megathread could give you pointers as well. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2602615 - here it is!

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 12, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

That compilation sounds great, and I'm looking forward to it.

I wear my metal shirts to work, mainly because sometimes I spend half my day mucking behind computer and equipment racks, and I'd rather get my beater Immortal shirt dirty than a nice blouse. Work has no dress code and no one cares, and none of my shirts have offensive imagery on them anyways (personal tastes). The Immortal shirt gets the most reaction, and my quick little soundblurb is that "this is what happens when Norwegians take Kiss seriously."

I can also listen to metal at work - and I do - but I work on media software, so listening to music, CDs, and the like is part of my job. (Though one of my coworkers, who only listens to club techno played in LGBT bars and light jazz, grabbed one of my Vintersorg CDs to listen to, without asking. He gave it back 10 seconds later, declaring that it sounded like 'bees and war'. Oopsie. :laugh: )

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

glassonion posted:

The clever title drew me in here and i dont even listen to metal.

Welcome!

Now go listen to some Immortal or Burzum, or we come for your soul.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

Well there's always Gallhammer and Sigh. Gallhammer play raw blackened crust with some doom influences, while Sigh are more melodic. Those are the only two I'm really familiar with.

Gallhammer are great. There's something endearing about tiny Japanese women with names like Mika creating music that sounds like it came from the 5th level of Hell. I really hope they tour the US again (or period); I want to see them live.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

If you're into folk at all, I highly recommend Verisäkeet by Moonsorrow, who incorporate a lot of black metal elements into their music, but you might want to disregard this as I will recommend Moonsorrow to absolutely everybody every chance I get in a manically obsessed kind of way. Ahem.

That is OK, as I do the exact same thing as well. (hint: Everybody listen to more Vintersorg).

I have heard some of Moonsorrow's stuff, and I have to agree - folky yet black in a pleasing combination.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Gvaz posted:

How so? I don't see how him being gay should have any bearing on him as a musician, unless he suddenly starts singing about designing the most "kvlt" fashion for Satan or something.

That would be amazing. There needs to be more kvlt and tr00 fashions on the Paris runways these days.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

All you christians need to go make a post about how inspirational the new Underoath album is!

I'll see if it's not too late to put a blurb in our church bulletin about this praise filled music.

(And I like what I've heard on their MySpace.)

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 21, 2008

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Wow, PYHA's stuff is really... depressing. It's like Gris without all the French smarm. Listening to it and thinking about how he's now serving in the N. Korean in the first steps of what will probably be a terrible adult life, I just can't help but feel all :smith:.

I really want to buy this CD in hopes of some of the proceeds going to him, though I know it probably won't. Still, a CD this... peculiar... belongs in my collection.

edit-- Oops didn't realize the last post was mine too... double post woop.

Do you have any links to his stuff, like a MySpace page?

Because I'm finding record reviews for a 14 year old Korean musician, and the Princeton Youth Hockey Association. I'm thinking that it's by the former, though black metal done by the latter would be just as :black101:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Mudflap McDirt posted:

https://www.aquariusrecords.org/bin/search.cgi/keyword=pyhahauncd

That'll take you to a page with samples. Yes, it's a 14 year old Korean musician :black101:

OK - This is great stuff. I'm going to have to order this. Thanks for the link!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

Can one get frostbite in korea?

Yes.

In your soul.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

het posted:

I'm not clear on what's hosed up about the laws here. He committed crimes, was convicted, and then when let out on temporary leave he tried to escape and was found in possession of fraudulent papers and a fully automatic rifle.

Don't forget the carjacking! :eng101:

I'm not feeling a lot of sympathy here for Varg.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

IntoTheNihil posted:

The whole situation is just a total mess. There's not much else to it. I should've noted I meant that I wanted him out prior to escaping and all that. I still want him out but I realize why he's not.

I'm genuinely curious - why do you want him out? I haven't been following the Norwegian Black Metal Soap Opera scene.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Caerus posted:

Well, the argument has been that he is being treated harsher than other convicts in a similar position.

There are other Norwegians who have become neo-fascists, murdered their bandmates, and burned churches in the name of Satan?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

When not listening to BM (or other M, for that matter), I like listening to classical and folk music - especially 'world' music, though I despise that term. But, I do like listening to things like Sami yoiking, Tuvan throat singing, and the like.

But my favorite local radio station is definitely the Classical one.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Death Rotisserie posted:

Eh, I don't think that's a true generalization. I could say something similar about death and grind fans. A lot of those fans are also punk fans. A lot of black metal fans are into nothing but orthodox black metal.

I prefer protestant black metal :colbert:. The more Wisconsin Synod Lutheran, the better.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Gr31lly posted:

There are exceptions to this and you will find absolute bargains in the used section of many independent music stores (same for oldschool death metal), but 95% of the time if it's new and in a shop, the first online distro you look at will be far cheaper even after shipping.

Plus, one tends to not get all the attitude of some of these BM shop owners. I swear, you accidentally ask for the WRONG band, and these clerks will just go all diva up in your face. :nyd: "Oh, we don't stock THAT - they are not tr00 kvlt frostbitten enough for us. Until they record their next album in their mother's basement while wearing only goat skins and bloting to Odin after every track, they are dead to me." :nyd:

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 14, 2008

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Thanks, I like these, especially the first one. Also, is wrong to look up pictures of these bands and laugh until I wheeze?

Not at all.

<--- Serious Norwegian Black Metal drummer is serious.

The more pretentious the photo, the more fun I have running it through the Roflbot Generator and adding captions to them.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

I took it so seriously two people had to be brought to the hospital with freezer burn and I definitely stabbed my girlfriend in the tits with those nails once or twice. :colbert:

Well, did she like it?

I was a Viking, which is my default 'quickie' Halloween costume. e.g. Check calendar, see what day it is, freak that you didn't plan anything, spy the cheapo plastic Viking helmet you got in May for Syttende Mai, plop that on head, wear your 'NORWAY' rugby jersey (again, a Syttende Mai fashion statement), and you have a costume!

And, you're also ready to pillage Ireland!

Everybody loves Vikings :h:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Hrm.

Well, it appears that Peter Beste's photo book, True Norwegian Black Metal, is now out of print at Amazon. I ordered a copy last month at Barnes and Noble (truly the most :black101: chain bookstore out there), and I will hopefully be getting it in the next week or so. Now, B&N are showing it as Out of Print on their website; I hope I still get my copy. I did see it still listed as 'Available' through Borders.

Just a heads up, in case anyone else out there was interested in picking this up.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 8, 2008

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

PARIAH CAREY posted:

Good luck getting it man, it is a loving awesome book.

I think I'll get it, because when I did order it, it was in stock. I ordered it a few weeks ago on a whim/UNDER THE COMMAND OF THE INFERNAL GOAT LORD.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

the wizards beard posted:

Up to $192 already on Amazon, good to see the BM hoard n' fleece mob are still doing well.

And they're going to get rightfully screwed in a little bit; I looked at Peter Beste's MySpace, and there's a 2nd Edition of the book being printed as we speak! :dance:

You can order it directly from there, as well.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

cryme posted:

Dunno what you're listening to. It's certainly more upbeat then some Burzum.

:nyd:

As for sleep, my old cat loved it when I'd play Masonna or Merzbow - she'd come in and curl up on her favorite pillow and nap away to the sounds of chainsaws and shrieking. :3:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Qu Appelle posted:

And they're going to get rightfully screwed in a little bit; I looked at Peter Beste's MySpace, and there's a 2nd Edition of the book being printed as we speak! :dance:

You can order it directly from there, as well.

...which is what I'm going to have to do.

:black101: book update:

Barnes and Noble has it as 'out of stock', and can't send it to me. So I'm cancelling the order.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Huh - and now I know that if you attach the WRONG PICTURE, you then can't remove it. :geno:

This was supposed to be a picture of a kitten. A fierce True Norwegian Black Metal kitten. It is not. So enjoy Borknagar instead. They're kittens in their hearts. Or something.

LARS IS SO KAWAII DESU DESU ^_________^

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 18, 2008

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

And here is the True Norwegian Black Metal kitten. He is more tr00 and kvlt than you.

Speaking of False Pretty Kawaii ^__________^ Norwegian Black Metal, Enslaved and Keep of Kalessin announced their North American tour dates. I don't know if they've been posted or not; I've been busy listening to false metal.

"Enslaved Announces North American Tour Dates

Enslaved will be heading out for a North American trek next May along with Keep Of Kalessin and Swallow The Sun. The tour dates are as follows:

May 1 - Mokena, IL @ Pearl Room
May 2 - St. Paul, MN @ Station 4
May 3 - Winnipeg, MB @ Royal Albert Arms
May 4 - Regina, SK @ The exchange
May 5 - Edmonton, AB @ Starlite Room
May 6 - Calgary, AB @ Warehouse
May 7 - Vancouver, BC @ Plaza Club
May 8 - Victoria, BC @ Sugar
May 9 - Seattle, WA @ El Corazon
May 10 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theater
May 11 - San Francisco, CA @ Slims
May 12 - West Hollywood, CA @ Key Club
May 13 - San Marcos, CA @ Jumping Turtle
May 15 - San Ant, TX @ Scout Bar
May 16 - Houston, TX @ Scout Bar
May 18 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ Culture Room
May 19 - Orlando, FL @ Backbooth
May 20 - Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade
May 21 - Raleigh, NC @ Volume 11
May 22 - Baltimore, MD @ Sonar
May 23 - Worcester, MA @ The Palladium
May 24 - New York, NY @ Blender Theatre at Gramercy
May 25 - Montreal, QC @ Foufounes Électriques
May 26 - Toronto, ON @ Opera House
May 27 - Rochester, NY @ Penny Arcade
May 28 - Springfield, VA @ Jaxx
May 29 - Louisville, KY @ Uncle Pleasants
May 30 - Milwaukee, WI @ The Rave"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

thorsilver posted:

Hey black metal thread! Just went a bit of a shopping spree and nabbed up the following, I'm new to black metal so be gentle:

Vintersorg - Odemarkens Son

That's a good Vintersorg to start out with, and it's one of my favorites. Vintersorg seems to go through two phases with his albums - the Toughest Viking in All of Skellefteå :black101: , and Carl Sagan Fanatic :hydrogen: . Both are outstanding, but the space stuff is much more proggy and out there than his folk stuff.

If you decide, after exhausting all the Vintersorg out there, that you need YET MORE Andreas Hedlund in you life, (and really, who doesn't want that) you can dive into some of his 'side projects':

Cronian, which is sort of like Arctic-tinged Industrial with Øystein Brun of Borknagar

Fission, which is yet more math and science themed death metal with his pal Benny.

Waterclime, a solo project where he gets his Abba out by playing 70's styled jazz pop. It's the most :psyduck: of them all.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

thorsilver posted:

Yeah... might have to pass on that one :psyboom:

It's better than it sounds. Really. At least give it a whirl. Then imagine Vintersorg skipping through a meadow, with flowers in his hair. Then go :psyboom: .

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Razor posted:

Yeah, that about sums up Vintersorg; nice way of putting it.

Lately, he's been combining the two, which I'm sure is going to open a black hole somewhere.

I need to check out Windir, I need new music :geno:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

TH's production is the brightest I want to hear black/thrash sound. Beyond that it starts sounding like pop.

I want Toxic Holocaust to sound like Beyonce on their next release. I cannot possibly be the only one who wants this :colbert:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Any Old Irony posted:

Hey guys Mordaehoth - Bloedwraak - Verdoem Al't Christelijk Leven is some pretty sweet black/folk("pagan metal" I guess?)

Plus it's made by this dude:

In my head, about two seconds after this photo was shot, his mom calls him in to do the dishes and finish his Algebra homework. He can pillage Ireland later.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I don't think Dimmu has ever been considered "real" BM. They've always had symphonic elements with harsh vocals.

But, they sing about :rock: Satan :rock:, and are :black101: Norwegian :black101:. This makes them BM enough for most regular folk.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Roasted Donut posted:

That's awesome news, I always liked him and Garm more than Vintersorg. Any idea when this is coming out?

I think next year sometime. Or late this year.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Razor posted:

It's coming out late this year; September, according to an interview with Øystein. And I, too, prefer Vortex and Garm to Vintersorg.

I prefer Vintersorg, but to each their own. He does get a bit squealy at times, which detracts from the sheer brutal force of Borknagar.

I hope that Vortex and Vintersorg do a duet. Maybe three voices, with Lars thrown in somewhere. That would be great!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Oldstench posted:

I've heard Borknagar described in many ways, but "brutal" sure wasn't ever one of them.

:nyd:

Oh, they will always be brutal in my little black heart.

(Though I'm sure not brutal enough, as they actually play notes and sing, instead of screaming into static over distortion and blast beats for 50 minutes)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

cryme posted:

Screaming into static over distortion for 50 minutes owns, everyone buy the latest Nortt/Wold records

But are there blast beats?

I am only sold if there's blast beats.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Oldstench posted:

drat. I got loving told.

I just think that they are better described as 'epic' rather than 'brutal'.

P.S. - I'm a fan. Colossus is still one of my favorite songs.

Edited for less overall assholishness.

Oh, 'Epic' fits them as well. In fact, I think it fits their newer stuff really well.

But I still like 'Brutal'. :) Especially their older stuff. It's heavy and scratchy, and I would call it 'brutal'. certainly.

(And it is OK. I didn't see the 'assholishness', but it's all good. :glomp: Sometimes, I just laugh at this entire genre. And I just love putting :nyd: in my posts.)

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Oldstench posted:

The only thing that is funnier than metal itself, are those who take it seriously.

Of course, I take it seriously. :black101:

We need a crying Abbath against the Norwegian flag itt.

Hell, in this forum.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Never forget

Beautiful. Brutal. More brutal than Borknagar ever will be. (Sorry, Borkies.)

I got paid yesterday, and I haven't bought anything stupid in a while. I'm tempted to buy this if you can get this down to flag smilie size.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

polarity posted:

Ahahaha this is going to own, Burzum's explosion in popularity among teen girls is going to own, all the metalheads spergin out over it is going to own.

ooh that varg he is like soooooooooooooo dreamy :black101: they better play Svarte Troner at prom next year

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Mudflap McDirt posted:

From what I've heard, they're still MIA at the Blackened Fest shows.

Oh poo. They better get into the country by the time the tour hits Seattle. I want to see them.