Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Sturmtiger IV posted:

Skeletonwitch's new album Beyond The Permafrost is all I've been listening to the last week. I love thrash with my black, anyone got similar recommendations?

Go out and buy the new Watain album Sworn to the Dark - now! It's a good mix of thrash/black metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

spigotthebear posted:

Can any one suggest some good depressive black metal? Or atmospheric black metal?

I think The Shining's last effort, V Halmstad, is particularly about as depressing as it gets.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
What’s the general consensus on the Gorgoroth split? Does anyone care? Is anyone anticipating future releases from the Infernus camp or the Gaahl/King/Hellhammer side more so than the other? I agree, it sounds like Infernus kinda got screwed out of his own band, but drat if I’m not siding along with whoever puts out the blackest metal. I’ve just recently gotten into Gorgoroth and I’ve heard claims that Infernus is indeed the musical creative drive behind the group. Confirm or deny? If it’s true, despite Gaahl being one evil bastard/frontman, it all has me kinda nervous for a Gorgoroth without Infernus.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
As far as newer black metal, I'd really to sound my appreciation for the IXXI recommendation in the previous thread. They're a great blend of black/thrash/industrial/black n' roll. Thanks!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Has anyone heard any more details on IXXI's new album, Assorted Armament? Thier website really isn't providing us with any clues.

edit: ..and the Gorgoroth drama split continues!!!

Regain Records has issued the following press release:

“Regain Records has finally decided how to go further with the GORGOROTH matter. Regain Records will continue the co-operation with the band’s original member Infernus with a new line-up. This new line-up will be announced by Infernus through the new official website. Regain Records recognizes Infernus as the rightful owner of the bands name, logo and trademark, and is prepared to take any legal steps necessary to prevent any third party from exploiting it, artistically and commercially.”

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 14, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Currently on, "As the Black Metal Drama Turns"...

GORGOROTH's GAAHL, KING Retain Ownership Of Band's Name And Logo - Dec. 19, 2007

King Ov Hell (real name: Tom Cato Visnes) and Gaahl (real name: Kristian Eivind Espedal) from the Norwegian black metal band GORGOROTH have issued the following statement:

"Norwegian authorities at Patentstyret (Norwegian patent office) have made the verdict on the dispute over the further use of the trademark and logo 'GORGOROTH.' It has been legally determined that King and Gaahl retain the rightful ownership and use of the name and logo, now and in the future.

"King and Gaahl will not give a detailed public statement on this verdict however they have both remained confident this result would indeed be the final conclusion.

"Any third parties who use the name GORGOROTH will from now on be met with legal prosecution.

"GORGOROTH, King and Gaahl, will not continue to work with Regain Records given their disloyal acts concerning GORGOROTH and are currently carefully choosing a new label for the release of their next full-length album.

"King and Gaahl are now focused on making music for the next album and with planning some very special shows for 2008. As previously announced, GORGOROTH will headline at Wacken Open Air."

GORGOROTH's current touring lineup includes Gaahl on vocals, King ov Hell on bass, Nick Barker (ex-DIMMU BORGIR, CRADLE OF FILTH) on drums, and Teloch (NIDINGR, UMORAL, 1349) and Sykelig on guitars.

As previously reported, GORGOROTH guitarist Infernus (real name: Roger Tiegs) — who is involved in a legal dispute with his estranged bandmates over the rights to the group's name — has launched the "official" web site and MySpace page for his version of GORGOROTH. According to a posting on the site, GORGOROTH's lineup "has been subject to several changes — about 25 different musicians have been involved with the band since its inception . . . GORGOROTH at present consists of Infernus as the sole permanent member, which means that no live appearances are planned for the immediate future. Infernus is busy finishing the material for the next full-length album, 'Quantos Possund Ad Satanitatem Trahunt', to be released on Regain Records. Some members have already been added to GORGOROTH's future lineup, and an announcement concerning this will be issued before long."

Sweden's Regain Records issued a press release last week stating that it would continue its co-operation with the band's original member Infernus with a new lineup. Regain Records "recognizes Infernus as the rightful owner of the bands name, logo and trademark, and is prepared to take any legal steps necessary to prevent any third part from exploiting it, artistically and commercially," the label said.

René Ackermann of Contraband Candy conducted an interview with King Ov Hell and Gaahl during the UK leg of the group's recently completed European tour. Topics include new drummers, the band's upcoming live album, their legendary Polish gig in Krakow and talks of staging another blasphemous gig in the future. Watch the 10-minute chat below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6MTCeJEWh8

(Sourced from Blabbermouth.com)

Wow! I must say, that I'm kind of surprised. I mean, the band did kind of originate under Infernus. Oh well! I suppose that Gaahl has some superiorly evil legal representation in that one horse village of his.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

IntoTheNihil posted:

I've got 35 files of metal coming up in an hour or hopefully sooner. Most of it is straight black metal but I threw in some stuff that is either related/loving awesome or pre-black metal/loving awesome. Also I put in some of the classic bands in case you want to pass it on to someone new to BM.

Sounds like a great BM mix to me. Looking forward to it!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Is anyone else anxious to hear these?

HELLHAMMER: 'Demon Entrails' Details Revealed

With the release of "Demon Entrails" on February 18, 2008, the days of numerous sub-standard bootlegs of the classic HELLHAMMER demos "Death Fiend", "Triumph of Death" and "Satanic Rites" are finally over! Currently also working on a book dealing with the history of HELLHAMMER, Tom Gabriel Fischer points out the importance of this release:

"The release of these demos is very significant to both Martin Eric Ain and me. No matter how one looks at HELLHAMMER, this was our first recorded music so many years ago, and it represents the radicalness of our own lives at the time. These demos became the foundation to everything we later created in CELTIC FROST. Hell reigned on earth."

"Demon Entrails" has been specially remastered from copies of the original master tapes under the supervision of Tom Gabriel Fischer, and the demos now represent HELLHAMMER exactly as the band sounded when recording these songs in June and December of 1983. Drawing from a wealth of previously unknown historical liner notes material and artwork as well as plenty of unreleased HELLHAMMER photos from 1982 to 1984, "Demon Entrails" features all lyrics and essays detailing the individual demo recording sessions.

Here is the tracklisting information for the CD formats of the release:

HELLHAMMER - "Demon Entrails" 2-CD track listing:

CD 1: "Satanic Rites" Demo, December 2/3/4/7, 1983 (45:57)

01. Intro (0:58)
02. Messiah (4:18)
03. The Third Of The Storms (Evoked Damnation) (3:02)
04. Buried And Forgotten (6:01)
05. Maniac [re-recorded version] (3:46)
06. Eurynomos (3:10)
07. Triumph Of Death [re-recorded version] (6:58)
08. Revelations Of Doom (3:03)
09. Reaper [re-recorded version] (2:28)
10. Satanic Rites (7:18)
11. Crucifixion [re-recorded version] (2:45)
12. Outro (2:01)

CD 2: "Death Fiend & Triumph Of Death" Demos, June 10/11, 1983 (56:18)

01. Crucifixion (3:04)
02. Maniac (4:01)
03. (Execution) When Hell's Near (2:38)
04. Decapitator (2:07)
05. Blood Insanity (4:22)
06. Power Of Satan (4:11)
07. Reaper (2:06)
08. Death Fiend (2:35)
09. Triumph Of Death (5:15)
10. Metallic Storm (2:19)
11. Ready For Slaughter (3:36)
12. Dark Warriors (3:03)
13. Hammerhead (2:48)
14. Angel Of Destruction (2:58)
15. Bloody Pussies (4:59)
16. Chainsaw (3:58)
17. Sweet Torment (2:09)

"Demon Entrails" will be available as an opulent oversized double CD media-book packaging and as a gatefold triple vinyl album. Both versions will feature a lavish booklet and a poster. There will also be a third, bare-bones lower-price CD version.

Also, can anyone confirm the quality of the new IXXI album Assorted Armament? Their website has posted news of it's release last month. I'd prefer to hear a positive review before shelling out for the outrageous shipping charges. I really enjoyed their S/T debut.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 8, 2008

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Wow! I just got to listen to the new Dark Fortress album, Ediolon. This is going to be a really great release! Nice mix of all things black and an appreance by T. Warrior himself. Fans of the black n' roll don't pass this one up.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Inquiring about a couple of new BM releases...

Gloria Morti's Eryx and Azaghal's Omega

Anyone heard positive reviews or otherwise of these? Dark Fortress's Eidolon has to be the most noteworthy black metal release of '08 thus far.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Gvaz posted:

Just got some of Mirrorthrone's "Of Wind and Weeping" and it comes in a nice packaging, and Shining's "V" album too. drat I can't get enough of Shining, anyone know a band like them I should give a try?

Kvarforth's other band Skitliv, but they haven't released their album yet. Kvarforth plays guitar and Maniac does vocals.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Ok, so has anyone heard the new Venom album, Hell yet?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
It appears that T. Warrior has risen from the dark ashes of Celtic Frost with...

Triptykon!!! :black101:

http://www.myspace.com/triptykonofficial

Call it it whatever you like Warrior. I just want more material in the vein of Monotheist.

Sturmtiger IV posted:

Skeletonwitch's new album Beyond The Permafrost is all I've been listening to the last week. I love thrash with my black, anyone got similar recommendations?

I'd recommend Watain's last album, Sworn to the Dark. It's a great mix of thrash and black.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 21, 2008

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Does this surprise anyone else?

Reactivated Norwegian Black Metallers RAGNAROK Planning New Album

Reactivated Norwegian black metallers RAGNAROK have unveiled their new lineup consisting of the following musicians:

HansFyrste (vocals)
Brigge (guitar)
Decepticon (bass and backing vocals)
Jontho (drums)

Jontho states: "We will play at the Storm of Destruction festival in [Ingolstadt] Germany this weekend [May 23] and we are planning touring in Europe and the United States later this year. We also do plan our next album these days that will be released in early 2009 via Regain Records at the same time as we will celebrate 15 years of spreading mental terror to the masses."

For more information, visit
https://www.myspace.com/ragnarok

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Anyone know a reputable place in the US to order the new limited edition Satyricon My Skin Is Cold EP (7 inch gatefold marbled vinyl + CD) online? It's suppose to be pretty impressive looking. None of the usual places I shop has it listed and it's suppose to come out next week.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
If anyone cares, the Gaahl flavored version of Gorgoroth has announced their lineup for their 2008 live appearances.

Gaahl - Vocals
King ov Hell - Bass
Nick Barker - Drums (Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Anaal Nathrakh, Testament, Old Man's Child, etc)
Teloch - Guitar (Gorgoroth, 1349)
Ice Dale - Guitar (Enslaved)

Impressive! :black101:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So it appears that the new Nachtmystium album, Assassins: Black Meddle, Pt. 1 has leaked. I'm pretty damned well impressed thus far with it. I believe several of the tracks can also be previewed on their myspace page.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Diseased Yak posted:

In looking the band up, I see early in this thread high praise for FOAD, which I will now search out. What other albums by these guys should I get? If their later stuff is as good as the early, I'm in for a treat.

If you end up enjoying F.O.A.D. I'd recommend the previous album, The Cult Is Alive. Personally, as far as their older material goes, Transilvanian Hunger, Rasvishing Grimness and of course A Blaze In The Northern Sky gets the most playtime for me. It really just depends on what you like the most. While I haven't picked up the comp of their early demos, I imagine there is a lot of difference since them and the newer crusty/punk Darkthrone stuff.

In all seriousness... everything!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
While I do realize that I may very well be jepordizing any of my goon interweb credit as being both trv and cvlt :black101: in the black metal circles for recognizing Cradle of Filth in a black metal thread, I am excited to the news that Satyricon will be indeed touring North America this winter as their direct support. It will be the first time they've hit our shores since like '04. I'm anxious to hear the new their new release this November. All the recent interviews with Satyr and Frost boast that it will indeed be their finest offering to date.

On a related note, the new Cradle of Filth album that is also due this fall is suppose to be a concept album pertaining to the French noble turned serial killer, Gilles de Rais. He was a rather interesting historical figure to say the least. Dani Filth's recent interviews link it musically to the likes of Midian and Dusk... Her Embrace. Midian is about the only CoF album that still gets regular play with me these days.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Apparently Blood Stained Dusk has a rather grim US tour planned for this November...

American black metal legion Blood Stained Dusk, who feature in their ranks former Gorgoroth/Obtained Enslavement vocalist Pest, have signed to Moribund Records:

Blood Stained Dusk is proud to announce that we have joined forces with Moribund Records for the release of our latest studio creation, entitled Black Faith Inquisition. A tribute to our late guitarist and frontman Dageth and his transcendence of the flesh, this album is sure to unleash a maelstrom of venomous chaos unlike anything ever witnessed. It will also feature an alliance with former Gorgoroth/Obtained Enslavement vocalist Pest, who speaks our blasphemies from his unholiest of tongues in Dageth’s stead. Nothing can prepare you for the onslaught that will ensue, but you all must face the inquisitors in their quest to rid this world of the Christian faith. Catch us live this November as we spread the Black Faith across America alongside our warbrothers HORNA (FI), Kult Ov Azazel (US), and Azrael (US). The Banner of Hate and Destruction shall soon be unfurled upon Mankind!”

Proposed cities for this silly tour are below:

Oct. 31 - San Francisco, CA
Nov. 1 - Los Angeles, CA
Nov. 2 - San Marcos, CA
Nov. 3 - Las Vegas, NV
Nov. 4 - Salt Lake City, UT
Nov. 5 - Denver, CO
Nov. 7 - San Antonio, TX
Nov. 8 - Houston, TX
Nov. 9 - New Orleans, LA
Nov. 11 - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Nov. 12 - Jacksonville, FL
Nov. 13 - Atlanta, GA
Nov. 14 - Winston Salem, NC
Nov. 15 - Springfield, VA
Nov. 16 - NYC, NY
Nov. 18 - Chicago, IL
Nov. 19 - Minneapolis, MN
Nov. 21 - Seattle, WA
Nov. 22 - Portland, OR

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Christ Beheaded is a brand new Satanic black/death band featuring Bob Fouts (drummer for The Gates of Slumber, guitar in Christ Beheaded) and Dustin Boltjs (drummer for Demiricous).

Hailing from Indianapolis, IN and also featuring members from local death metal band Summon The Destroyer, Christ Beheaded just finished recording its first five-song CD/EP at Basement Rage studios with Fouts as the engineer. The band also played its first-ever live gig on August 14 in Indianapolis with Harakiri, among others.

Christ Beheaded plans on self-releasing the CD/EP in fall and is working on booking more live appearances for the end of the summer.

If your a fan of Watain or Dissection, check these two songs out...

http://www.myspace.com/christbeheaded666

All you christians need to go make a post about how inspirational the new Underoath album is!

Where's all the black metal support?!?! :black101:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
November 3, 2008 will be a day of dark reckoning.

Satyricon's Age of Nero

Tracklisting...

1. Commando
2. The Wolfpack
3. Black Crow On A Tombstone
4. Die By My Hand
5. My Skin Is Cold (album version)
6. The Sign Of The Trident
7. Last Man Standing
8. Den Siste

Cover...

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Anyone else heard the new Cradle of Filth album, Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder? It's leaked.

The only reason I risk my black metal interweb street cred with mentioning their name is that it reminds me a lot of their first 3 albums. Particularly Cruelty and the Beast. Anyone else agree?

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
You can now stream the new Satyricon single, "Black Crow On A Tombstone" from Age Of Nero from Roadrunner's UK site.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/page/News?&news_page=&news_id=66268

Nice!

...and if you subscribe to Peaceville mailing list you can download a new Darkthrone track, "Hiking Metal Punks" from their new album, Dark Thrones & Black Flags.

http://www.burningshed.com/store/peaceville/freedownload/8/

Very nice!

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 6, 2008

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Just as I suspected from what I had heard on their myspace page, the debut EP, 'Open The Gates of Hell' from Christ Beheaded (Demiricous & The Gates of Slumber) is great. Any fans of both Dissection or Watain should definately check it out.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=382628195

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Mordekai posted:

"true norwegian black metal" has been dead since 2000

So, uh Frost (aka Kjetil-Vidar Haraldstad) of Satyricon, 1349 and Gorgoroth fame would like to have a word with you...

Note: Picture taken from Peter Beste's book 'True Norwegian Black Metal'.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I hold you all personally responsible for not letting me know how great the Aura Noir album, Hades Rise is.

drat, it's a dirty evil!!

Edit: For dirty evil album cover.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 21, 2008

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Not Very Metal posted:

Satyricon is playing Detroit tonight but I can't go. Unfortunately I'm required to attend my girl's grandparents 50th anniversary party.

Time to get a new girl.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Not Very Metal posted:

You know, I'm not sure. The last I heard about Frost is that he was working with Ghaal and King for their new Gorgoroth album (yessss). 1349 has been in the states as recent as September of last year, but they used Tony Laureano.

I don't have time to really explore Satyricon's website before I leave, but I would bet they'll use Trym Torson or Joey Jordison like they have in the past.

So, yeah. Not sure, but probably some substitute.

It has been documented and now confirmed by chubby metal goons that Frost is stateside with a rather daper looking Satyr for Satyricon's current US tour opening for Cradle of Filth.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 26, 2009

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Not Very Metal posted:

Oh, is that you Baron?

No. Evidently, that's a dude that attended one of the first shows of the tour several nights ago. I'm going to the Asheville gig towards the end of Feb.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Oh really? I'll be there too.

Me and a buddy are going early to see SepticFlesh/Satyricon and leaving early for beers at one of downtown Asheville's finest. I have great fears of being trampled by a herd of gothopotamuses in leather corsists just before CoF takes the stage.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So I guess Infernus won the dispute over the name Gorgoroth?

"Oslo City District Court has today [Tuesday, March 10] delivered a
verdict on the main question in the GORGOROTH trademark case, which
took place at the end of January 2009. The court has decided that King
ov Hell's trademark registration #243365 of the band name GORGOROTH is
NOT valid and shall therefore be deleted. The court states that King
ov Hell and Gaahl excluded themselves from the band GORGOROTH when
they tried to fire Infernus in October 2007. The court further states
that Infernus cannot be excluded from GORGOROTH, unless he himself
decides to quit. Infernus is very pleased, but not surprised, by this
verdict. The remaining issues concerning financial matters and such
are yet to be decided upon."

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I could care less if either group uses the name. Personally, I prefer to see them come up with something totally original. Maybe, "An Old Smelly Witch's oval office", "The Rotting Forest of the Northern Black Hills" or "The Foolish Nazarene". If they wanted to stick with the whole Tolkien name thing like Gorgoroth, I'd say, "Oh My, The Shire Is Burning and Frodo Is High On Pipeweed!" Now that's real metal.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Anyone else seen the dates for the ABSU and Glorior Belli North American tour this June?

Jun 6 Jumping Turtle - San Marcos, California
Jun 7 House of Blues - W. Hollywood, California
Jun 8 Thee Parkside - San Francisco, California
Jun 9 Hawthorne Theatre - Portland, Oregon
Jun 10 El Corazon - Seattle, Washington
Jun 12 The Underground - Calgary, Alberta
Jun 13 The Exchange - Regina, Saskatchewan
Jun 14 Royal Albert Arms - Winnipeg, Manitoba
Jun 15 Station 4 - St. Paul, Minnesota
Jun 16 The Pearl Room - Mokena, Illinois
Jun 17 Peabody’s - Cleveland, Ohio
Jun 18 Wreck Room - Toronto, Ontario
Jun 19 Petit Campus - Montreal, Quebec
Jun 20 Penny Arcade - Rochester, New York
Jun 21 BB Kings Blues Club - New York, New York
Jun 22 Jaxx - W. Springfield, Virginia
Jun 23 Volume 11 - Raleigh, North Carolina
Jun 24 The Muse - Nashville, Tennessee
Jun 25 The Masquerade - Atlanta, Georgia
Jun 26 The Garage - St. Petersburg, Florida
Jun 27 Culture Room - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Jun 29 Firewater - Dallas, Texas

Should be a good show!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I may very well be late to the scene, but besides Absu's release, I'm calling Cobalt's Gin the black metal release of the year thus far. While it's post/progressive flare is fresh and creative, they've ( I understand it's a duo) really pay tribute to the classics.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Alas, it sounds like the new album from Deströyer 666 will not disappoint. Its called, Defiance and comes out on July 14th in the US (June 22nd in Europe). You can hear one track, A Stand Defiant here...

http://www.myspace.com/destroyer666band

Besides a new Immortal, this has me the most excited for blackened goodness.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
As if it hasn't been debated here before...

I present the black metal thread with my Top 10 Most Essential Black Metal Albums of all time! :black101:

1. (1982) Venom - Black Metal
2. (1984) Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
3. (1987) Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
4. (1992) Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
5. (1993) Burzum - Filosofem
6. (1993) Immortal - Pure Holocaust
7. (1994) Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
8. (1996) Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
9. (1997) Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
10. (2000) Gorgoroth - Incipit Satan

Discuss, debate or dispute!

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Gr31lly posted:

This has been done countless times before, so I'm not even going to bother putting forth a list since it essentially devolves into post your favourite.

That wouldn't be my goal with this. I'm looking for the 10 (I know it's hard to narrow it down to only 10) essential albums that made a profound historical impact on the genre. It's not a favs list. Only a couple of those albums would actually make my favorites.

Edit: One thing would be for sure, Norway and the early 90's would be centric to this list.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 4, 2009

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Gr31lly posted:

And that would be why? Mercyful Fate, Tormentor, Mortuary Drape, Master's Hammer, Root, Mystifier, Blasphemy, Sarcofago, Von, Sodom, Death SS and Bulldozer are all arguably just as important as any band you've listed, and probably more important in most cases.

In my opinion, not recognizing this would be the same as dismissing Florida or Sweden to the early 90's death metal scene or even Seattle in the 90's grunge movement. Several of the bands you've listed (Sarcofago, Sodom and Bulldozer) could be considered more impactive to the speed or thrash scene. While their influences are undoubtable, Mercyful Fate could be just as easily considered influential to thrash or power metal, not just black metal alone. Von would be an obvious inclusion to the list since they were probably one of the first US black metal bands, but since I'm limiting the list to just 10, I would think bands like Darkthrone, Mayhem and Immortal would win out over the lesser known groups like Tormentor, Blasphemy or Death SS. Maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Misogynist posted:

pyf definition of essential

Meaning of the utmost importance to black metal in regards to being pivitol albums in the history of the music or an album that represents a strong influence on defining the future of genre. Maybe the "10 Most Defining Albums of Black Metal" would have been a better suited title. Part of the challenge to me was listing only 10.

I'm not publishing my own list to be the end all result, just to be compared, considered and debated against other suggestions on this thread. I was just interested in hearing opinions. Not to simply piss on or dimiss their suggestions without debating their importance - that would be ignorant!