Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I did like that new Ash Borer track, although it's not quite doing it for me like their previous material has for reasons I can't quite put my finger on yet. Also I'm sort of bummed that Profound Lore's putting the album out since it often takes forever for stuff on that label to get released on vinyl.

Also the new Panopticon is amazing; I can't stop listening to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Holy poo poo, Kentucky is loving awesome. I need this album. Klassenkampf ist Krieg.

edit: Seriously, I can't stop listening to this album. If you haven't, listen to it now.

It's such a fantastic album; I found myself playing Black Soot and Red Blood over and over again the day I got it. I was skeptical when Lundr announced the album's concept but I think he perfectly blends the black metal and bluegrass elements together. In my opinion this absolutely surpasses his previous material (which is still quite good of course). Also nomapple I believe Pagan Flames/Handmade Birds are going to be putting out a CD version of Kentucky in a few months.

Since the subject of "RABM" has sort of come up, I'll just leave these here:

Marnost
Lake of Blood
Alda

All worth checking out if you don't mind a bit of granola in your kvlt.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Hoof posted:

Don't know if this is what you're looking for but Unstille by Der Weg einer Freiheit released in June and I've had it on repeat since then.

That new Der Weg einer Freiheit record totally slipped in under my radar, but I'm suddenly very excited; both their debut and their EP from last year are fantastic. On that note does anyone know a U.S. distro that has the new album, preferably the vinyl version?

As for 2012 black metal releases worth checking out I'd definitely recommend giving Cornigr- Relics of Inner War and Dolentia- Sob a Égide das Sombras a listen.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

a false posted:

How do y'all feel about the recent crop of black metal inflected punk groups (Grinning Death's Head, Raspberry Bulbs/Bone Awl, Sexdrome, Horrid Cross, etc)? I honestly think they're better on average than a lot of the "actual" BM coming out around now with the exception of a few groups (specifically Bosse-De-Nage and Mutilation Rites).

I've actually really been digging all the black metal/punk bands on Primal Vomit Records, especially Ives and Black Lands. Although I'm not sure what it is about Mutilation Rites that makes you hold them up as an exceptional BM band. I Am Legion struck me as a fairly generic album, although I haven't listened to Empyrean yet.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
The absolute worst terrorist act you could commit in the name of Watain is to make someone listen to a Watain record.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Hey BM thread, normally I just lurk here and pick up on the cool stuff you guys find but lately I've been really digging this band a friend of a friend is in, they are super cool dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cazrNI_iiI

Thantifaxath is amazing, I can't wait for upcoming full length on Dark Descent Records.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
That's good to hear about the new Ash Borer since I wasn't too hot on the preview track. I'm bummed that Pesanta Urfolk is doing the vinyl though since that label takes foreeeeeever to release things (the new Velnias was supposed to be out two months ago and counting).

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
So there's some kind of new Vassafor track: http://soundcloud.com/vassafor/obsidian-king. Not too shabby; in my opinion it combines some of the best aspects of Diocletian with a far more atmospheric approach.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Yeah, I think the themes of L'Ordure are largely concerned with mocking enlightenment inspired liberalism, hence the line "I'm a fist in the rear end of the Marianne" in the first track and so on (on that note Famine's said in various places that the rooster is the coq gaulois http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallic_rooster, the symbol of France as a nation). As for the scatological content, I guess Famine just really likes poop jokes.

In any case it's a great album in spite of its, shall we say, political eccentricities, but it's definitely a grower. It took me quite a few listen-throughs before it hooked me, but it's on regular rotation right now.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
There are other (and in my opinion better) bands on the periphery of the Black Twilight Circle also:

Tukaaria
Odz Manouk

In any case I can't say I'm too upset about the label portion of BTC shutting down, by all accounts they were a really unreliable distro. However I would be bummed if this means there won't be any more output from the bands; I quite like Volahn, Dolorvotre, and Glossolalia.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Huh, I thought Glossolalia was a Black Twilight Circle band, shows what I know. And yeah, the best thing to happen to CN/Rhinocervs bands is when other people rerelease the albums they put out on vinyl; their first cassette presses are basically unlistenable (even for as lo-fi as the projects are supposed to be).

Edit: Also, if there's one thing the Black Twilight Circle was good for it was exposing the hypocrisy of many "it's just music man" NSBM apologists who get all flustered at BTC's indigenous nationalism themes.

deadking fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 18, 2012

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Two Hunters and Diadem of Twelve Stars are their best albums in my opinion, although I do like their other work as well. For bands kind of like Panopticon (I can't think of any who incorporate bluegrass influences if that's what you're after) check out Lake of Blood and Alda, maybe Ash Borer and Fell Voices.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had Diadem of 12 stars. I didn't dislike it, it just never grabbed me.

Thanks for the recommendations. I had forgotten about Ash Borer.

I just remembered, check out Marnost as well. I got very heavy Panopticon vibes from their demo Pukající Svět.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Mortuus posted:

Does anyone know of any bands similar to newer Darkthrone? I'm referring to the material starting with F.O.A.D. I don't even know what to describe it as other than black/crust punk or something. As awesome as Circle the Wagons and Dark Thrones and Black Flags are, I can't spin just them. I need something new.

Check out Dishammer as well.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I don't know if anyone is actively tracking the vinyl release of Cold of Ages, but does anyone know what's up with the special edition? I noticed that Pesanta Urfolk is selling and shipping the normal edition but they don't have the limited edition up. Has it sold out? Really important stuff, I know.

On topic: I quite liked Roads to Judah and I've enjoyed the new album so far. However, I'd never (or at least have given up on trying to) defend them as a serious black metal band; not because George wears hipster clothes and cuts his hair funny, but because they utilize elements in their music that are decidedly "un-black metal" and are never going to appeal to a more "orthodox" crowd. I think it's maybe better to treat them as influenced by a certain strand of black metal and enjoy them or not on those grounds. That said, they do seem to catch more flak from the kvlt because of their aesthetic than bands like Lantlôs or Alcest (who have become way more boring and pointless in my opinion).

Now, in an attempt to restore internet scene credibility, has anyone checked out the new Wulkanaz yet? Is it worth picking up?

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

nomapple posted:

Looks like I will have to check out Vinterland. Also, what anateus albums would you recommend? Probably seeing them live at wolf throne festival in November.

In my opinion, Blood Libels is probably the strongest Antaeus album. It's an extremely punishing but extremely rewarding album.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Nails posted:

I can totally understand why Liturgy wouldn't be anyone's thing. I think the only thing that I don't like about them besides how full of themselves they are is all the stupid chanting stuff that started showing up on the newest album. And then they did that cover of "Prayer" by Shellac that is just the lead singer doing some stupid chanting vocal loop bullshit, and I lost a ton of respect for them. I think they might even technically be an unblack band, and that's what makes them especially strange to me.

Renihilation is, in my opinion, quite a good album. Besides, I think Liturgy are so reviled because Hunter, who is indisputably a peddler of hipster nonsense, is very outspoken about this nonsense and is quite visibly un-black metal. If it wasn't for "transcendental black metal" Liturgy would fly under the radar. It's funny to me though that Liturgy is singled out for this given the pretentious poo poo uttered by black metal standards. Of course, this doesn't defend the poo poo Hunter says or his music (Aesthethica is an extremely tedious album), but it says something to me that the black metal community is OK with pretentious nonsense as long as it's the right kind of pretentious nonsense.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

RYYSZLA posted:

Skagos & Fell voices are probably the two cascadian type bands other than Ash Borer, Clair Cassis & WITTR I really enjoy. Skagos are the game of thrones themed one, aren't they?

The name comes from A Song of Ice and Fire, I think, although I've never seen that confirmed anywhere. In any case, unless I'm missing something big none of Skagos' lyrics have anything to do with the books.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Verizian posted:

You're in for a treat, Passion is pretty much the worst album they've released. Vanitas and Constellation of the Black Widow are probably the best metal albums I've ever heard by comparison.

Hmmm, I didn't know Passion was so disliked. It's definitely a step down from In the Constellation..., but I think it has some choice tracks on it. In my opinion, Hell is Empty... is their weakest effort.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Hulk Krogan posted:

I've always ignored Anaal Nathrak because somehow I got the idea that they were really grindy and not something I would be into. Decided to finally give them a listen after all the praise from you guys.

I am an idiot. This band loving owns. Had I heard Vanitas last year it would have easily been in my top 10.

Yeah, they get described as a black/grind band a lot, a description that doesn't do them a lot of justice. Plus, I've never known anyone really into grind who particularly cared about Anaal Nathrakh.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
That's good to hear, even though over time L'Ordure has grown on me like genital warts. Does anyone know of a US distro that will be getting the new one?

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I know, Famine's personal beliefs bum me out too. It was easier when he espoused a mix of French nationalism and elitism that shied away from white supremacy (the whole "how can I be a white supremacist? Indra's in the band!" stuff from the interview he gave around the release of Folkfuck Folie), but he seems to go back on that in this recent interview. It'd be much easier to ignore him if he produced typical garbage NSBM, but he's released some of the most interesting and captivating black metal I've heard recently. Really, I just ride the "I can listen to music produced by people I don't agree with" excuse really hard. Besides, Famine seems to love loving with people, so maybe it's all an elaborate prank. It also helps that I don't speak French very well.

On another note, does anyone have any love for Axis of Light. They haven't put out a ton of material but their recent split is amazing: http://bandcamp.fallenempirerecords.com/album/split-2

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Smekerman posted:

So is he like a Le Grande Terreur fanatic or something? Because that's what his lyrical subject and imagery truly inspires. Maybe I should read his interviews, but it sounds like they're more of the same.

Anyway, I gave the new album a cursory listen and I couldn't say I was too into it. It sounded way too disjointed for me.

If I have it right, Famine's pretty against the legacy of the French Revolution (the insert of L'Ordure... is the Marianne crossed out). His brand of French nationalism looks back to medieval France.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
As far as German black metal goes I enjoy Pest quite a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV4Oh57UTBg

Also, if Austrians count then Totale Vernichtung is pretty good if you don't mind a little crypto-fascism in your BM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3J2TcI-C2M

Speaking of German things, I don't know if I've posted about Minenwerfer in this thread before. They're from around where I grew up (Sacramento, not Germany), but they write songs about the First World War from a German perspective so I figure they're somewhat related.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Smoking Crow posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Drudkh lately, and I was looking for some recommendations based on that. Are there any other bands that mix a folk style with black metal, except with Nordic folk (I prefer Scandinavian folk over Slavic folk)?

It's neither Nordic nor Slavic, but maybe take a look at Agalloch if you haven't already.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Apparently Altar of Plagues has decided to break up:

quote:

Altar of Plagues will conclude this year.

I decided before writing "Teethed Glory and Injury" that it would be our final album. It was executed with this fact in mind. I can state it no more simply than this; it is time to move on.

We considered whether or not we would say anything at all regarding this. But at the very least, we would like to give people an opportunity to see us perform again should they care to. And so, these upcoming shows will be our final.

Our very final performance will be on October 19th, at Unsound Festival Poland. As a festival that celebrates the eclectic and the eccentric, I can think of no other place that would be more appropriate for this occasion. It is exactly the type of environment in which I have always aspired to share our work, and it will be a celebratory occasion to conclude at what I believe will be the peak of our existence as a group.

I still find it difficult to believe that what began as a bedroom recording in 2007, became a group of individuals that have performed in Moscow, San Francisco, and many places between. We have travelled further, and shared more music than we had ever expected. Thank you to each and every person who supported us.

I will continue to work as WIFE . However, I am not closing the door on the sounds I developed as Altar of Plagues. Many stones remain unturned.

James / Altar of Plagues / July 15 2013

I'm pretty bummed. I had hoped that the next album would use more of the style they played on The White Tomb et al.. Still, I can't say that it's not a respectable decision. Better that than to become the Morbid Angel of post rock/black metal crossover.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I think French authorities are upset that he's turned his back on black metal.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Gamma Nerd posted:

So what are your thoughts on band tshirts? Patches? I mean, I just think of it as a little light-hearted thing. It's not commercialized nearly as much as it would be if you could pick up a Gorgoroth tee at Hot Topic or something.

I think the "light-hearted" bit is where you went wrong. NO FUN/NO CORE/NO MOSH/NO TRENDS (or however it goes) and all that.

Also, regarding the Varg arrest, it's annoying because it validates (in his mind at least) his paranoid neanderthal clan-of-the-cavebear fantasies about ZOG oppression. Also, because it leads people to talk about Varg, who, as others have pointed out, is supremely irrelevant. Hell, love them or hate them, Deafheaven are probably more relevant to contemporary black metal than Varg/Burzum.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Hey now, I never said I didn't like Burzum, I said I thought Varg was irrelevant. Let me try to clarify then: I think that as a musician and "intellectual" Varg has become irrelevant to black metal. In my opinion, nothing he's done during or since his stay in prison has had much more impact other than "Burzum's making music again!", and I say that as someone who kinda liked Fallen. It is indisputable that Burzum is one of the most, if not the most, influential bands in black metal, but unless we're going to let Varg coast because of Hvis Lyset Tar Oss etc., he's irrelevant nowadays. I think you can actually see this reflected in his fans; they're still banging on about how Euronymous was a communist who had it coming. Meanwhile nobody else gives a poo poo anymore.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
New Lluvia album due out later this year. The posted sample track sounds really good; I can't wait for this album:

http://bandcamp.fallenempirerecords.com/album/premonicion-de-guerra

Edit: It's probably helpful to mention that Lluvia is the guy behind The Rain in Endless Fall and Wylve (who's also involved in Blut Der Nacht). I think it's basically the same project, just with a different name. Again.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Torka posted:

Can anyone recommend bands with a similar sound to Wodensthrone or Altar of Plagues? Just checking out other bands in the subgenre or plugging them into a last.fm channel hasn't been turning up much.

Also check out Ash Borer, Weakling, Skagos, Fauna, Fell Voices (maybe), Deafheaven (gasp!), Gottesmorder, Alda, Lake of Blood, Panopticon, Fen, or Heretoir. I'm less familiar with bands similar to Wodensthrone. Maybe Drudkh?

If that list is a bit overwhelming (although it's by no means comprehensive), I'd say start with Ash Borer. They're probably my favorite in the subgenre.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Speaking of Urfaust: I've seen them praised in many places (including here), but I've never gotten into them. What's a good place to start?

Also, I got my copy of the Lychgate LP from Gilead finally, and it sounds amazing. Fell Voices too, I guess.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Sad news about LSK; Blood Libels is firmly a top five album for me. The thread about it on the NWN! Productions forums was naturally full of shitheads and racists. Stay classy, war metal kids!

In other news I just ordered a copy of the Endlichkeit tape from Fallen Empire. I think the Velvet Cacoon comparison is apt except it's better and not stolen.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

aliencowboy posted:

Have there been any rad demo tapes this year? I still have Maléfices's Povr Le Sangs on constant rotation. Production value is for wimps+dweebs.

Not purely black metal, but Malthusian's MMXIII demo is pretty rad: http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/11/premiere-malthusian-mmxiii/

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
When the Lion Devours both Dragon and Child is probably my favorite Anaal Nathrakh song, which always keeps Eschaton in the running for best AN album for me. That said, In the Constellation of the Black Widow is probably the strongest overall. Passion and Vanitas bum me out because, while pretty good albums, they just don't live up to In the Constellation and I'm afraid they'll never release something that good again.

deadking fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 25, 2014

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I'm not gonna lie, I'm genuinely excited to rebuy Ulver releases I already own.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
You might want to check out Wodensthrone if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVjUpSEqJHA

I think someone might have mentioned this a few pages back, but Wedrujacy Wiatr is also definitely worth a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvoRiED_kc4

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Trist is one of the best DSBM bands I've heard lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx5hGFFanaE

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
There's a new preview from the upcoming Barghest album and it slays:

http://www.cvltnation.com/the-sickest-black-metal-song-you-will-hear-today-cvlt-nation-streaming-barghest-spent-brass/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended me Peste Noire. La Sanie des siecles is a solid album.

Speaking of Peste Noire, does anyone have any recommendations for stuff similar to Folkfuck folie or Ballade cuntre lo lo anemi Francor? So far I've turned up Mortefautre and Baise ma Hache.