Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Got my VideoShell today. I love it.

A few observations though:

1. the packaging is nice. None of that heat sealed plastic loving get the scissors and cut off a finger poo poo.

2. The screen cover is awesome. Only took 2 tries to stick it on and it didn't make air bubbles every other centimeter for shits and giggles like the other screen covers do.

3. The plastic case had a bit of manufacturing dust and a little piece of chipped plastic in it. A quick wipe with the touch cloth fixes that right up

4. With the case on the touch is about iPhone thickness and a bit heavier than before. Nothing mind blowing

5. The lip around the front screen is a little higher than I expected, but it just makes hitting space or the safari bookmark buttons slightly harder, but not annoyingly so.

6. The stand quality is pretty good. Plastic is nice and solid and there are only 2 tiny little holes in the back. I mean, I guess dust and dirt could be a problem if you like throwing your iPod around in a sandstorm or you've never cleaned your basement room or whatever, but taking the case apart for a quick wipe takes 30 seconds max.

7. As for holding up the touch in landscape and portrait mode, they really nailed it. It's just solid. It won't fall over.

except for the stand stuff, i'm assuming everything else i said will go for the guy who got the hybrid shell except his will have like 40 little black nipples in the back.

easy 9/10 for me though provided the stand doesn't break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Where are the replacement screen covers on the DLO site? I seem to be too stupid to dig them up. Where I'm going to use that thing, they're going to become dirty beyond repair in rather short time.

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

Whoa, there's a last.fm application out. It's called MobileScrobbler, and it's on Installer's recent applications list.

Citizen Dildoe
Jan 28, 2003

BattleSitar Galactica

Linkletter posted:

Whoa, there's a last.fm application out. It's called MobileScrobbler, and it's on Installer's recent applications list.

Amazing, thank you! I have been missing out on scrobbling since I got the Touch.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

Lux Aeterna posted:

more like pray that Microsoft fixes Vista ZING

Seriously though, that blows. The amount of joy I get from being able to bring my Touch instead of my laptop to take a poo poo in the morning is just the greatest thing ever. As long as you are okay with an XP box controlling your touch, that's probably the best solution all-around until later on. I mean, it's probably better to have your media on a more stable OS to begin with and on a computer that doesn't get hosed around with as much as your main PC anyway. It might be a bitch in the short term, but just imagine waiting for iTunes and Vista to not suck. It could take months.

I'm just trying to be positive since the touch deserves as much love as possible.

ALSO: this is the best *clear* case for the touch i've seen so far. :20bux: and built in kickstand for horizontal AND landscape viewing. Bonus plastic screen for the front also. I ordered mine 2 days ago so it should be in this week. I'm not the biggest fan of clear cases, but not having to carry that little plastic poo poo stand around just makes me smile

it's the DLO VideoShell

http://dlo.com/products/vshell_touch_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=11960915002412650

iLounge screenshots:

Is a case really necessary for the touch? If it's durability is anything like the iphone, I honestly don't see the point. I have the DLO VideoShell and I really don't like it at all:

-The buttons lose any tactile feedback, and the case makes the power button really difficult to press.
-The screen protector is a total pain in the rear end to attach correctly
-The inside of the kickstand thing scratched the hell out of the back of my touch.
-The front of the case seems to have been taken directly from their iphone case, as it still has an earpiece hole.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 30, 2007

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

paulie walnuts posted:

Is a case really necessary for the touch? If it's durability is anything like the iphone, I honestly don't see the point. I have the DLO VideoShell and I really don't like it at all:

-The buttons lose any tactile feedback, and the case makes the power button really difficult to press.
-The screen protector is a total pain in the rear end to attach correctly
-The inside of the kickstand thing scratched the hell out of the back of my touch.
-The front of the case seems to have been taken directly from their iphone case, as it still has an earpiece hole.

the touch doesn't need a case at all. none of the iPods do provided you don't give a poo poo what happens to the metal on the back. i bet an invisible shield would be all you need.

I usually sell my iPods after I'm done with them, so I'm anal about protecting them.

That sucks about the screen protector and the back of your iPod though. I agree with the buttons, but since I'm never tooling around with it in my pocket I don't care too much about having tactile feedback on a device that goes out of its way to avoid it.

I just popped open my case to look at whether or not anything is getting scratched, but I'm not seeing anything at all. Where are you getting scratches? There are only 2 little holes when the stand is opened up and the sliders look too tiny to cause issues.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm getting a protection shell because I don't want to take any chances. Also, the environment I work in is pretty dusty. I've worn the iPod one day in my pocket without it wrapped in a plastic bag and dust already got in between the glass and the plastic border. The shell and protector would cover that up (I hope).

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

I just got my Griffin iClear, and I have to say I love it. The back is absolutely gorgeous and feels great since it's a frosted look. The front is great, I like how the home button is not covered. The power button is also easily accessible. The front of the case is also against the iPod, so dust probably won't be able to get in.

I just wanted a simple case that looks good and protects my iPod. Fits my criteria great!

notation
Aug 11, 2004
Anyone have any personal recommendations for an iPod dock? I'm looking for something simple and stylish and cheap, with at least audio out. The official dock seems way too pricey, but if it's worth getting I'll consider it.

I've had my Touch for a month now, and I'm still amazed by it. I'm usually tired of new gadgets after the first week or two, but I'm still blown away by how great this thing is. It's seriously the best gadget to come into my life since getting a computer. It makes me wonder how amazing the iPods of my kid's generation will be.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster
So is a screen protector really necessary at all? I thought that the glass screen was supposed to be nearly unscratchable.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

paulie walnuts posted:

So is a screen protector really necessary at all? I thought that the glass screen was supposed to be nearly unscratchable.

I've been wondering about this too. Screen protectors sure make the Touch less shiny. :3:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I was thinking of picking up an iPod Touch this Christmas to supplement my Archos (which is way too big to fit in my pocket) due to the rather neat homebrew stuff being developed for it (especially ScummVM), but reading that rather long rant about how it hates Vista has put me off slightly, due to being a Vista user myself.

I can always use the other computer which has XP on it, but that would be a bit of a hassle. Was that just one person who got very unlucky, or is it a serious issue that would likely affect me?

Not being able to simply drag and drop folders of music to the iPod as if it were an external HD and have them playable was one of many gripes I've had with Apple, and always stopped me even considering an iPod in the past. However, since this is just to shove on a few gigs of music, and whatever nifty homebrew things I can find (a decent calendar and notes application for a start!), so it should hopefully do okay for me. Once someone finds a way to plug a camera into it (assuming this hasn't already been done), then it'll be perfect.

I'm gonna have to go through all the albums I plan to put on it and fix the ID3 tags, unfortunately. :/

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

I think he might just be that unlucky. I've had no problems whatsoever with Vista32.

I'm actually not a fan of drag and drop. I grew to like having iTunes organize my library and syncing everything for me. Then again, this might be because my 12gig library can all fit on the 16gig Touch. When my library gets bigger than the Touch capacity, it might be a little annoying to have to choose songs that I want with me.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

If anyone hasn't tried the new version of the GBA emulator, do it. (GPSPhone). It works great, and is now landscape-style fullscreen with transparent controls.

Sock
Oct 8, 2001
Do me. Do me.
How do I downgrade my Touch with iTunes 7.5? Everywhere I've read it says "Press Option/Shift while in repair mode, and choose the 1.1.1 firmware!" but whenever I do that it automatically chooses 1.1.2

Are there any decent leather cases out yet? Any of them have something like that stand that the DLO does?

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Sock posted:

How do I downgrade my Touch with iTunes 7.5? Everywhere I've read it says "Press Option/Shift while in repair mode, and choose the 1.1.1 firmware!" but whenever I do that it automatically chooses 1.1.2

Are there any decent leather cases out yet? Any of them have something like that stand that the DLO does?

it should work just fine with iTunes 7.5. Just hold down shift and click on restore and a browse box should come up. Browse for the 1.1.1 firmware you downloaded and restore with that.

as for leather stand cases, the only one i've been keeping tabs on is this one: http://www.senacases.com/Brands/IPOD-TOUCH-CASES/Premium-Stand-Case-for-iPod-Touch but it doesn't look to be very thin at all and there's no belt clip. The black looks kind of snazzy though.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

That leather case looks pretty awesome. If you have a bit more to spend, look at https://www.vajastore.com . Their leather cases look awesome, but a bit expensive and takes a while to make for you (custom-ish).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

SuperCaptainJ posted:

If anyone hasn't tried the new version of the GBA emulator, do it. (GPSPhone). It works great, and is now landscape-style fullscreen with transparent controls.
I'm pretty interested in this. I have a few GBA games I've been meaning to finish but I can just never be bothered bringing them around with my with my DS. Shoving them on the Touch would be great.

How are the controls, though? I can't imagine it being easy to play anything other than turn-based games, due to the lack of actual buttons.

If I do pick one of for Christmas, I gotta remember to get a leather case while I'm at it, since that thing would scratch like a motherfucker in my pocket.

LostCause
Jun 27, 2003

by Peatpot
I finally found a case at the Apple store that doesn't look tacky as hell.

Its the Griffin Elan Form leather case. This thing is slick as poo poo, no stupid belt clip, great quality leather, fits perfectly. Its kinda different in the fact that its basically like 2 plastic pieces (front/back) covered in leather. The two pieces just snap together and it just feels solid as poo poo.

I am basically now carrying it around all the time because the calendar feature allows me to organize poo poo on the fly, better than my cell phone ever could. I only wish I could sync the calendar to Google Calendar, which I use a lot too. That plus the music of course.

Edit: No more scratch paranoia! Yay!

LostCause fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 2, 2007

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Vyze posted:

I'm pretty interested in this. I have a few GBA games I've been meaning to finish but I can just never be bothered bringing them around with my with my DS. Shoving them on the Touch would be great.

How are the controls, though? I can't imagine it being easy to play anything other than turn-based games, due to the lack of actual buttons.

If I do pick one of for Christmas, I gotta remember to get a leather case while I'm at it, since that thing would scratch like a motherfucker in my pocket.

The controls actually work surprisingly well. The only games I am truly having trouble playing are Mario and Sonic, everything else works great. This includes Mario Kart.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
The new landscape mode looks awesome.

I've been trying Advance Wars with each update, and while it keeps getting better, I still haven't gotten it to run completely fluidly.

Is there a recommended setting to smooth things out?

The NES emulator works great, though I think my Dragon Warrior ROM is a hacked version since the first item I found was a dildo.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Hillridge posted:

Is there a recommended setting to smooth things out?

It's still a little stutter-y on a lot of games. With a release cycle of 2-3 days, however, I don't think you'll have to worry about it too much longer.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

SuperCaptainJ posted:

The controls actually work surprisingly well. The only games I am truly having trouble playing are Mario and Sonic, everything else works great. This includes Mario Kart.
Well that pretty much settles it. I was planning on restarting Yggdra Union anyway since I didn't realise you could heal between battlefields, I might as well leave the cart at home and play on the Touch.

Since the price is probably unlikely to drop in the UK for the January sales, I might try to grab it in time for my birthday in a couple of weeks.

MrMartyn
Mar 6, 2007

Just been trying out the SCUMMVM with Monkey Island 3 and Steel Sky and I must say it is amazing! Monkey Island 3 looks great and plays so well, although the sound is a little low. Combining this with gpsphone and other apps makes the ipod touch such a great device!

MrMartyn
Mar 6, 2007

OptimusMatrix posted:

Want a new battery charging symbol that looks like this? Here you go.

Blah blah

How did you change the "iPod" text in the top left hand corner? Been searching for an answer for ages!

deadend
Oct 1, 2005
I just purchased my first ipod ever (touch), can anyone recommend some software to convert my avi movies to mp4? I use windows and thus have never needed mp4's before. I've done some searching and most products I come across look like spam.

Thanks in advance.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

deadend posted:

I just purchased my first ipod ever (touch), can anyone recommend some software to convert my avi movies to mp4? I use windows and thus have never needed mp4's before. I've done some searching and most products I come across look like spam.

Thanks in advance.

videora ipod converter just queue a few up overnight and you're set

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
I tried out the new gpSPhone and it's certainly a big improvement over the old version. However unlike SuperCaptainJ I've not had such good luck with the controls. I find anything that requires any kind of precision or quick response on the d-pad to be completely unplayable. RPGs are about the only thing I can handle and even then it sometimes gets pretty frustrating.

The author recommends putting your thumb in the middle of the virtual d-pad and moving it in the direction you want to go, but sometimes I get no response, other times it'll go in the opposite direction, and when it does work it stays pressed in that direction even when I slide my thumb away. About the only way I can use it is just by doing quick and deliberate taps. I'm not sure if I have giant thumbs or what but this is very difficult to use and there's no way Mario Kart would be playable for me.

Also, keep in mind that anything that requires you to use the L/R buttons while using the A/B buttons and the d-pad is going to require some contortion.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I just found a bug with the game resume feature:
if you have it enabled and you exit the emulator, the processor keeps going full bore.
it chewed through half my battery while it was in my pocket for an hour.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Anyone have any tips for getting Tversity to work with the touch? I've set up the server on my PC, our 360 streams from it instantly no problem, but the touch takes FOREVER to open a video file and 9 times out of 10 it won't open them at all. I've only been sucessful in opening tiny mpegs so far.

I've been connecting to the server by entering my internal IP on Safari's address bar, then the colon and port #, then /iphone

Is this right? Is the problem that I don't actually have an iphone?

The touch is jailbroke etc. FWIW

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Oae Ui posted:

I tried out the new gpSPhone and it's certainly a big improvement over the old version. However unlike SuperCaptainJ I've not had such good luck with the controls. I find anything that requires any kind of precision or quick response on the d-pad to be completely unplayable. RPGs are about the only thing I can handle and even then it sometimes gets pretty frustrating.

Oh I won't ever argue that the controls will ever approach anything near the level of responsiveness of an actual control pad. I don't want to give the impression that this is a good gameboy replacement -- like Oae Ui says, a lot of games are completely unplayable. A lot of other games, however, work perfectly for me with some practice. I can play mario kart, Zelda: Link to the Past, and RPGs just fine. Mario and any kind of fighting game is unplayable.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
I know this is first-revision Apple hardware or whatever but is it a pretty cool device? Thinking about picking one up based on 5 minutes playing with some dude's iPhone at a party (I have a phone already that I like a lot so I dont want an iPhone). Just a general WHAT SAY YOU, AV ARENA kind of post, I guess, but the concept of this device has really charmed me.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Wang Commander posted:

I know this is first-revision Apple hardware or whatever but is it a pretty cool device? Thinking about picking one up based on 5 minutes playing with some dude's iPhone at a party (I have a phone already that I like a lot so I dont want an iPhone). Just a general WHAT SAY YOU, AV ARENA kind of post, I guess, but the concept of this device has really charmed me.

I was on the fence on if it was worth it when I first got mine, but ever since I opened it up for third party apps I have loved it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If you're not willing to jailbreak it for homebrew, it's an overpriced bit of flashy junk. If you do jailbreak it, then it's definitely a neat little piece of kit.

I had about an hour to play about with installing stuff on mine last night - some pretty cool things. Need to get the weDict stuff working, can't remember if I downloaded any dictionaries for it or not.

Has anyone found out a way to change the Apple logo that shows up when you're starting it up? I'd love to change it to something personal.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 6, 2007

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Vyze posted:

Need to get the weDict stuff working, can't remember if I downloaded any dictionaries for it or not.

Just a heads up because it confused the gently caress out of me before: When you download dictionaries, you have to manually check them inside WeDict by tapping on the "i" information icon. This inappropriate icon also may or may not open at all unless you've tapped it about 30 times, and by then you're tapping so fast you'll hit the "done" button that loads up directly behind it and have to start all over again. Before I managed to work out the "i" thing I just presumed the application really sucked.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Wang Commander posted:

I was really on the fence about it for a while, but like others have been saying, with the addition of 3rd party stuff, it's worth it. It basically becomes a ghetto pda that works better its first time out than any version of windows mobile or CE ever has.

That being said, the fact its now a ghetto pda really brings about some of its shortcomings compared to the iPhone.

Hopefully revision 2 hardware will have the 5 things that are kind of irking me now
1- removal of shiny metal back (they did it with first gen nanos)
2- built in speaker
3- up/down buttons on the side (this drives me nuts the most since it has to go out of my pocket every time for simple volume changes)
4- built in mic (VoIP and voice notes would be pretty badass)
5- 32 gigs

i dont think most of that will happen unless the touch takes off and they announce it as a mini mobile computing platform. Otherwise, they'll just stick with the iPhone and make you pay all the extra monthly stuff. i'm hopeful but even without those things, it's still a really kickass device

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Lux Aeterna posted:

Hopefully revision 2 hardware will have the 5 things that are kind of irking me now
1- removal of shiny metal back (they did it with first gen nanos)
2- built in speaker
3- up/down buttons on the side (this drives me nuts the most since it has to go out of my pocket every time for simple volume changes)
4- built in mic (VoIP and voice notes would be pretty badass)
5- 32 gigs

I don't mind the shiny back. I just assumed from day 1 that it would be all scuffed in a matter of hours, so I haven't been stressing about keeping it fresh.

3&5 are the most plausible and would be awesome additions.

2&4 would also be great, but I think they would encroach too much into the iPhone's space for Apple's liking.

If the touch were an iPhone without the phone and with more memory it would be just about right.

Druck
Jul 25, 2002

"That's some kinda nice."
Will Apollo or MobileChat ever release an update? Seems like they're kinda over it... hopefully because once Apple rolls out the SDK we'll get an official app.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

'Tis the season for lovely knockoff accessories for under :10bux:

just saw this on tuaw and a goon in the iPhone thread got the remote accessory and thought it was pretty good.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/12/05/tuaw-buyers-guide-5-little-iphone-gifts/

the goon who got the remote picked it up at dealextreme.com and I just ordered the same remote and the speaker accessory. It's certainly not the best option, but for 13 bucks including s&h it's worth trying out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Bettie
Oct 28, 2007

squeeze my head for
delicious juice
I received my DLO case yesterday. It's pretty cool, but I came down with a massive case of the stupids right before I went to use it and ruined not one but THREE protective films for the front of my 'pod. The case itself looks really snazzy, but I won't be happy until I the new screens I had to order come in.

I swore for about an hour straight after doing that. Next time I'm going to seal myself into a distraction-free, cat-free room before applying the film.

• Locked thread