Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

cioxx posted:

Is there a free way to backup iPod touch music onto a computer? It's non-jailbroken and the music is manually managed (I don't have the files in the iTunes)

the problem is that the touch is unable to be used in disk mode (this might change in 1.1.3 if you can wait for it) but the only way to really steal your music off of it is to ssh into it... which means a jailbreaking. You can restore it right back when you're done and leave no visible trace of possibly violating your warranty, and it wouldn't take too long to accomplish. Just make sure its plugged into a power source and grab it all out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neotek
Feb 18, 2003

Well I just got this thing and I'm in love. It took me all of a minute to jailbreak it and start installing the things I want. There are one or two things I would like to change but overall it's awesome.

LostCause
Jun 27, 2003

by Peatpot

Vyze posted:

I'm looking to get a nice case for my iPod Touch to keep it safe, would anyone recommend this one?:
http://www.iskin.com/touch_overview.html

If you are interested in a very low profile leather/plastic case then get this.

I have this and its just so god drat good looking works perfectly.

It is surprisingly cheap at $29.95 at the Apple Store.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

neotek posted:

Well I just got this thing and I'm in love. It took me all of a minute to jailbreak it and start installing the things I want. There are one or two things I would like to change but overall it's awesome.

Yeah, nearly three months later and this thing is definitely my favorite electronic device I've ever purchased.

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

Lux Aeterna posted:

the problem is that the touch is unable to be used in disk mode (this might change in 1.1.3 if you can wait for it) but the only way to really steal your music off of it is to ssh into it... which means a jailbreaking. You can restore it right back when you're done and leave no visible trace of possibly violating your warranty, and it wouldn't take too long to accomplish. Just make sure its plugged into a power source and grab it all out.

I decided that all that work with tagging an sorting music was worth 25 bucks so I purchased Imtoo iPod backup utility for windows and backed it up. The hardest part was finding a windows machine.

It's crazy how there is still not a free method to do this without jailbreaking and no way to do this on a mac.

ultimatemike
May 10, 2005

Little Joe? Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Lux Aeterna posted:

There are programs out there that can grab the files off it without jail-breaking it. I don't have a link handy but a google search should turn something up.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ultimatemike posted:

There are programs out there that can grab the files off it without jail-breaking it. I don't have a link handy but a google search should turn something up.
There's tons for older iPods, but the Touch (and the iPhone, it seems) must store things differently, and most of them don't work. The ones that do work aren't free.

Citizen Dildoe
Jan 28, 2003

BattleSitar Galactica

Vyze posted:

There's tons for older iPods, but the Touch (and the iPhone, it seems) must store things differently, and most of them don't work. The ones that do work aren't free.

I have used iPod Access v4.1.3 (http://www.findleydesigns.com) for transferring songs from my Touch to PC machine. It worked for what I needed because I only had a few songs to transfer.

There are some limitations with the free version such as transferring five songs at a time or disabled backup function. Of course the paid version is $20 so if you need to transfer a lot of songs using iPod Access may not be ideal.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Apparently cats can use the touch as well. The screen reacts well to touches from their paws and nose.

LostCause
Jun 27, 2003

by Peatpot

whiskas posted:

Apparently cats can use the touch as well. The screen reacts well to touches from their paws and nose.

What music did it put on?

whiskas
May 30, 2005

LostCause posted:

What music did it put on?

He went into notes and typed a bunch of gibberish.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm really interested in seeing what happens with the whole VOIP on the Touch thing. It would be cool, I don't know personally how much I would use it, but it would really get things interesting.

littlewing
Apr 10, 2003

My photos folder is ~1.2gb. When I transfer all the albums over to my touch they take up over 14 gb when itunes is done "converting" them for the touch. Any ideas on why this is happening and if it's possible to stop it?

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 1, 2014

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
Regardless of which case you prefer, this is the absolute best screen protector out there. I honestly wish the iPhone/iPod Touch came with a screen like this built in.

Unlike other ones, which I've never been able to apply without a ton of stupid air bubbles making the screen look like poo poo, this one doesn't get any air bubbles somehow and the screen looks as great as it always has. It is also much easier to move my finger across it and do multi-tap gestures. It also doesn't reflect, as in the name, is glare-free.
The best part? No fingerprints! The screen stays intact, no fingerprints or smudges. I highly recommend this product and gladly pimp it out knowing it'll make somebody else's iProduct experience better.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I wish I had done a bit of asking around for screen protectors before I bought one and put it on.

The one I have makes the screen feel nice to use, was easy to put on without bubbles, it looks pretty scratch resistant, and fingerprints don't stay long. The only problem is that it makes the screen look pretty drat grainy (especially noticable whenever a large white block is on the screen). Kinda like when you have a little bit of polish sprayed over a CRT monitor - you can see tiny little specks of red, green, and blue all over.

I feel like I just wanna get used to it, since I spend about £8 on it, but it doesn't seem like it'll peel off as easily as putting it on.

Surly
Oct 3, 2003
Looks out for one guy; Surly
I don't know if this is technically feasible, but maybe someone knows if it can be done.

I would like to be able to use my AT&T 8525 as a 3G modem for my Touch. If there was a way to connect my Touch via WiFi to my phone and then enable some sort of internet sharing on my phone so that I could use the safari browser, youtube, and all the jailbroken apps when I'm not in a wireless hotspot.

Anyone know if this is possible?

ProvostZak
Dec 31, 2000

it's a huge step
I've just gotten an iPod Touch and I've two quick questions:

1) when playing a song, how in the name of almighty god do I get it to show me total track time, time played, time remaining, and a scroll-bar for seeking? If I'm listening to an hour long file I need to be able to skip to a particular point quickly, easily and consistently. Hell, even just a little bar telling me where I am in a track, and how long the track is, would be a good start. This has to be possible - its such a fundamental thing! Have I just overlooked something?

2) should I just jailbreak it now and move on, or is there a good reason to wait a little while longer? And if I do want to revert it to its original condition, just how likely will it be that the thing turns into a brick?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ProvostZak posted:

I've just gotten an iPod Touch and I've two quick questions:

1) when playing a song, how in the name of almighty god do I get it to show me total track time, time played, time remaining, and a scroll-bar for seeking? If I'm listening to an hour long file I need to be able to skip to a particular point quickly, easily and consistently. Hell, even just a little bar telling me where I am in a track, and how long the track is, would be a good start. This has to be possible - its such a fundamental thing! Have I just overlooked something?

2) should I just jailbreak it now and move on, or is there a good reason to wait a little while longer? And if I do want to revert it to its original condition, just how likely will it be that the thing turns into a brick?
1) Single tap on the album artwork area of the screen. It annoys me that this stuff isn't on the screen by default.

2) Jailbreak it now now now!! I haven't heard of any cases of jailbreaking bricking an iPod. If anything does go wrong, you can do a restore of old firmware (downloadable from Apple) to bring it back to how it was when you first got it.

ProvostZak
Dec 31, 2000

it's a huge step

Vyze posted:

1) Single tap on the album artwork area of the screen. It annoys me that this stuff isn't on the screen by default.

2) Jailbreak it now now now!! I haven't heard of any cases of jailbreaking bricking an iPod. If anything does go wrong, you can do a restore of old firmware (downloadable from Apple) to bring it back to how it was when you first got it.

Hooray - it is a pity that's not always up by default, but I can live with it!

And given that last piece of advice, gently caress it, I'm gonna jailbreak this thing right now :)

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I'm at the Philly airport, and for all its shortcomings, it does have free wifi. Bringing the touch along for a short trip is so much easier than dragging around my laptop. I doubt I will travel with my laptop anymore unless I plan to use it for more than entertainment.

ProvostZak
Dec 31, 2000

it's a huge step
Well, my Touch is now jailbroken. Wasted a lot of time figuring out exactly how to get the thing into Recovery Mode, but it all seems to be working now. The steps are all straightforward, if a bit irritating. A one-click would be far better. I am now installing the BSD Subsystem, because I read that it was important for some reason. Then I'm gonna try and get Google Maps working, and from there I might see if there is some way to sync it with my Palm Desktop, since I don't have Outlook (any ideas if this is doable?)

Edit: everything is working well it seems, and I've got a lot of good apps on it now!

Still no idea how to get it to sync with Palm Desktop, which is my only complaint at this stage.

ProvostZak fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 22, 2007

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Is the gpSPhone gameplay supposed to be so choppy, especially the sound? I've tried Final Fantasy 6 and Mario Kart so far and it's pretty much unplayable. FF6 goes into slideshow mode whenever its in a battle, and mario kart is the same when tons of crap is happening on the screen.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster
So if I decide to jailbreak my ipod, what are the chances of me bricking my device? It sounds awesome...but the notion of destroying my new $300 toy makes me a little uneasy.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

paulie walnuts posted:

So if I decide to jailbreak my ipod, what are the chances of me bricking my device? It sounds awesome...but the notion of destroying my new $300 toy makes me a little uneasy.

None and none. Absolute worst case scenario: boot the iPod into recovery mode and use iTunes to restore to stock.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Big Hock posted:

Is the gpSPhone gameplay supposed to be so choppy, especially the sound? I've tried Final Fantasy 6 and Mario Kart so far and it's pretty much unplayable. FF6 goes into slideshow mode whenever its in a battle, and mario kart is the same when tons of crap is happening on the screen.
It all depends on the game. I've tried out a couple of the Castlevania games and they run more or less perfectly.

Prof Eli ASSBLASTER
May 30, 2007

by Fragmaster

Zeph posted:

None and none. Absolute worst case scenario: boot the iPod into recovery mode and use iTunes to restore to stock.

Cool, thanks. Just did it, holy god that was easy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If you want to use your iPod for personal finance management, there's actually a decent solution out. Actually, it's a website called Moneytrackin, which doesn't look like Web 2.0 rear end anymore since a recent update, offers a web service API and their creators are also working on an iPhone/iPod application that looks pretty nice and is more powerful than the MobileMoney poo poo. Obviously, you need an account at that site, and things like accounts and periodic transactions have to be setup using the site, the rest can be done on the iPod. A first version of the application's found in Installer.app as iMoneytrackin.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 23, 2007

thebruce
Jul 4, 2004

OK, I give up. After looking around and trying/installing Handbrake, MediaCoder and Videora I have yet to find an easy, click-one-button DVD to iTunes convertor that my 11 year old nephew will be able to use to convert DVDs for his touch.

Any recommendations?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
--edit: Oops. Tabbed browsing gone wrong.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 24, 2007

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

thebruce posted:

OK, I give up. After looking around and trying/installing Handbrake, MediaCoder and Videora I have yet to find an easy, click-one-button DVD to iTunes convertor that my 11 year old nephew will be able to use to convert DVDs for his touch.

Any recommendations?
On a similar note, a free flv to iPod-tarded-video-format that doesn't triple the file size (and sometimes make the first 10-20 seconds go all faded and screwy) would be nice.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Santa will be bringing a touch tomorrow and I have a few questions.

The web apps, are these only usable while you're connected via Wifi? Is there a way to cache them and such? Apples site says "play a game of sudoku while riding a train!" etc. I am going to assume that since most trains don't have WiFi, that it just lets you cache these and play them whenever. The touch wont be for me, so it probably will not be jailbroken.

I have Visualhub for my Mac, does this work well for encoding videos for the touch? The latest version lists it. I am going to assume so, but I'm just curious.

Kaiyoko
Jan 6, 2005
The Pink Pansy
I got my Touch a little over two weeks ago as a early birthday gift and I love it. This thing saved my sanity on a 16 hour flight to Manila from San Francisco. However, in my rush to get ready for vacation I forgot to get a screen protector.

I'll be looking around for a Apple Shop (or something like it) in Manila, but what is the best way to clean the screen of the Touch, before I apply a screen protector?

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
Does anyone know of a good metronome app for the Touch/iPhone? I found the guitar tuner, but that's not what I'm looking for.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Has anyone been using their Touch without a screen protector for at least a few weeks? I have the Griffin iClear, and I love the case, but is a screen protector really necessary for the Touch? The screen is glass and seems very, very scratch-proof. I just think a screen protector makes the display less sexy.

thebruce
Jul 4, 2004

CanuckBassist posted:

Has anyone been using their Touch without a screen protector for at least a few weeks? I have the Griffin iClear, and I love the case, but is a screen protector really necessary for the Touch? The screen is glass and seems very, very scratch-proof. I just think a screen protector makes the display less sexy.

When I had a touch the silver back scratched just by looking at it. The BestSkinsEver skin was virtually invisible tho - if the Griffin is annoying then you might want to check this out.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

FRESH

trigger9631 posted:

Does anyone know of a good metronome app for the Touch/iPhone? I found the guitar tuner, but that's not what I'm looking for.
I swear I saw one in Installer the other day but I can't find it again. Check the whole list of apps, it's there somewhere.

CanuckBassist posted:

A screen protector isn't really required, you're right the screen is gorgeous. I just hate having to wipe off tons of fingerprints and smudges. I don't have to worry about that anymore and the screen still looks great.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Got a quick question for jailbreaking on Windows.
Can I do this with iTunes 7.5 or do I need to downgrade?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Peven Stan posted:

Got a quick question for jailbreaking on Windows.
Can I do this with iTunes 7.5 or do I need to downgrade?
As long as your iTunes can do a firmware restore on your iPod (assuming your Touch is on 1.1.2 firmware) then it should be fine.

I'm on iTunes 7.5 on Vista, and it worked all fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, I'm impressed with the touch. Now I really need to buy one. I pointed Visualhub at a DVD, it compressed it down to 360mb and I stuck it on the touch. It looks freaking AWESOME. No compression artifacts, smooth as silk, sounds great. I'm blown away at the video quality on this thing.

And it reads SA perfectly. Double tapping the screen formats the messages so so perfectly. Cripes this thing is awesome.

• Locked thread