Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I've been messing with my iPod Video (aka gen 5) since the discontinuation of the Classic devices. New battery, screen, faceplate, and an attempt to upgrade from 30 GB to a 250 GB SSD.

I wasn't able to get a Samsung Evo 840 to work. I formatted to os x journaled, FAT, I used disk mode, I tried hot-swapping. The thing would just hang and "sad-ipod face" on boot whenever the SSD was connected.

I'm going to try a 64 GB CF next but I'd really like to get huge drive in there. If anybody has done this recently, I'd like to know what model SSD and adapter you used. Head-Fi seems to be a popular forum for this topic but all their threads on the topic are way-long and out of date, and posters there are so full of poo poo that you can't really trust a recommendation anyway.

Also if you're desperate to have an ipod classic, I've learned that you can really easily build one out of spare or cannibalized parts for much less than retail. All you need is a tiny phillips-head screwdriver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread