Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

IzzyNobre posted:

So, is anyone else absolutelly frustrated about what piece of poo poo the iPod Touch turned out to be for Vista users?

Now don't get me wrong. I've been wanting this thing since I first saw the keynotes video. Problem is, the damned thing is full of bugs and iTunes just flat out HATES Windows Vista.

First off, the wifi apparently has a problem getting the DNS from websites, so lots of people get nothing but a message saying the browser can't find the server for the website they are trying to access. As far as I know there's no work around that yet.

Then, the Vista + iTunes woe. For some reason QuickTime really hates Vista so good luck adding videos onto your library. I figured out that it was due to a conflict with my NVidia card, upgraded the driver and voila, at least now I can add the videos onto my iTunes library.

Not that it matter much because syncing a Touch on Vista will severely gently caress your videos, making them quit and crash your iPod randomly. They are talking about it on the Apple forums.

Same apparently happens with mp3s. iTunes simply doesn't like Vista, period.

I'm terrified now...getting a Touch very soon, but I run Vista (32 bit Business). But seemingly unlike you, I've never had an issue with iTunes (or Quicktime) in Vista. Yeah, it's sluggish, inefficient, and obviously not optimized. But it's never crashed, it works fine, and I haven't had any errors or had something not work. Am I going to have issues when I start using my Touch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I got a 16GB Touch for xmas and loving it! Only issue is, I'm home for the holidays and my house doesn't have wireless. Can I still jailbreak and get some applications going without it? Like, can I use the PC cable to mooch of my PCs internet? If not, I'll have to wait to go back to school before I jailbreak.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

shoafer0 posted:

So I did the jailbreak and now I'm a little lost. I have a bunch of programs installed and running right. But when caught my attention was the last program I installed it said, getting low on memory. After hitting dismiss everything works great and no problems. Just curious if anyone else has gotten this. I looked at iTunes and it shows 31.8 mb of "Other" and 7.24 gb of "free space". Are apps only dedicated a certain amount of space? Is there a way to uninstall a program that I've installed just in case?

I had this exact same thing too. I checked both on the device and in iTunes and I still have like 7 gigs free as well. I'm chalking it up to just a bug/glitch, not gonna worry about it too much.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
On the size discussions:

I have roughly 32gb of music on my computer, but I never even listen to half of it, so having roughly 1100 songs on my 16gb Touch is plenty. I have several movies, several TV episodes, a bunch of music videos, and about 10 podcasts on my Touch, along with about 50 applications, and I still have 7gb free. Honestly, I wouldn't give a poo poo if they released a 64gb model next week, 16 is all I need and all I can see myself needing for the foreseeable future.

Now an actual quick question:

Is there an application I can install to take screenshots of my Touch screen? I see shots all over the net, but I can't figure out how to do it :( A quick look through Installer doesn't help me much.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Squirrel007 posted:

Im pretty sure its called "screenshot"
I have used it and it is a good app. You have to use FTP to access the pictures though.

Durrrrr yes, it is called Screenshot. Just installed it and it works great. Here's a wonderful picture of my jailbroken Touch :)

Squirrel007 posted:

E; Is there a way to access my volume control without starting up a song? It seems I have done it before but I don't know how I did.

"Double click" the home button at any screen :)

ninja edit: I also wanted to mention that Tap Tap Revolution is officially the best game of all time :dance:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Peasant Revolt posted:

I got one yesterday and I love it. There's far more 3rd party aps then I thought there would be, though I'm a bit disappointed in how well some of them work (few of the ones I've tried have a horizontal mode). Still all the iphone aps like maps, weather, and mail are great and hopefully I can find an IRC client I like.

I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I'd like some reading material, how would I put a simple .txt file on it and display it?

I use Colloquy for IRC, it works very well. I think there's a program called TextEdit in the installer list that should work well for the txt file purposes :) You may have to use FTP to transfer files to your Touch for reading. If you'd like, I can post instructions on how to do that!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Owsla posted:

Where did you get that charge image? I have one that's almost exactly the same, but it says "iPhone Battery Charger" and well, I have a Touch, so I like yours better :unsmith:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Squirrel007 posted:

I am pretty sure someone has instructions on the first page of this thread.

Awesome, thank you sir.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

loopbackzero posted:

I jailbroke mine the other day, and at no point did either downgrading to 1.1.1, jailbreaking, upgrading to 1.1.2, jailbreaking, etc ever blank my ipod, all the music and playlists i had at the beginning stayed intact, which I was not expecting. Odd?

Yes, that's odd. Downgrading to 1.1.1 has to clear the 1.1.2 firmware then load entirely new firmware on it, I'm really surprised yours didn't format. Mine did, along with my friends who did it as well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I'm searching for my Doom disc too, but I honestly doubt I have it anymore. Is there anywhere to get a copy of the needed files? Buying it again is no problem if needed. (hopefully this isn't :filez: )

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I really must not be understanding something here...

-Why bother with the $20 apps? I can get them free via jailbreak. (and why would I want to give Apple more money, when all they do is continually gently caress me over for being an early adopter)
-What's the point in the SDK? It sounds like it will be tightly controlled, will cost money, and will load applications through iTunes and whatnot. I can get all the apps I want via jailbreak already, and Installer is honestly a far better program than iTunes.
-What motivation is there for choosing official apps over homebrew?

Is Apple being ignorant here or am I? :smith:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What they did say was, if your Touch has a model number that starts with "MA", you would have to buy the apps. If the model number starts with "MB", the apps are free (but you still have to update to get them). Maybe that info could help people with third-party purchases.

Mine doesn't start with either of those, it's A1*** something. :psyduck:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Time to spice up this thread with some pictures!

This took me forever to get it working the way I wanted. I basically mixed NEONstandard, NeonReamus, some random icon packs I found, and some manual file editing to get everything to show up how I wanted, and this is the result.

Page 1:

And page 2:

If there's requests, I can definitely upload the theme and full icon set.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
NEONcompilation
This is my current theme being used in those screenshots:

NeonIconPack
This is a mega ultra icon pack, which has every single Neon icon I have been able to find. You can mix/match them all, rename to the right application, and upload to your Touch into the theme folder in Summerboard.

Credit for all this goes to the makers of NEONstandard/NEON, NeonReamus, and Seth's Neon Theme.

Here's a guide from Touch Fans Forum about how to install this theme, if you're a lazy fag and don't want to google it:

quote:

Before you can put any theme onto your ipod, you should have Summerboard. After that, it's pretty easy.

From there, just FTP into your ipod and input the following directory: "/private/var/root/Library/SummerBoard" Capitalization matters.

You should see a folder named "Themes". Open it and go back to the folder you have the theme in. You can either copy the folder, or copy the contents of the folder into a new one on your ipod. The only requirement is that the theme has it's own folder. Be sure that the theme you have has all the required parts (Icons, Dock, etc.) The icons should have their own folder inside of the Themes folder. So the entire thing should look like this.

-Themes
--Theme Title
--dock.png
--wallpaper.png
--thumbs.db
---Icons

If you don't know how to FTP into your Touch yet, see the OP.

Enjoy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Is there any word on EAP support for the iPhone or iPod Touch's wireless? I'm still kinds surprised this wasn't included from the start, wifi at places like universities and businesses useless for some people (like me!). Even a 3rd party program would be fine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Toiletbrush posted:

What's this with SSH draining battery? That's not true. SSH doesn't even run if there aren't any active connections. launchd listens on port 22 and starts SSH when there's activity. SSH closes when there's no more connections.

There's no way that's true. On holiday for the past few days, I've gone through 2 charges of my Touch. When I turned SSH off for the second run, the battery lasted TWICE as long, at least. This is normal movies/music usage, wifi has been off the whole time too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

NUDE GENTLEMAN posted:

Did you guys install the SSH from the jailbreak program you used, or from the installer after you installed the BSD subsystem?

Apparently the SSH from the jailbreak is the biggest offender of being a piece of poo poo with battery life and the one you get from the installer doesn't have that issue.

That might explain something. I have the SSH that my old 1.1.2 jailbreak installed automatically months ago, and I never touched it since. Should I uninstall it, then get the SSH off installer again?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
For the life of me I can't find an iTunes megathread, so I'll ask here:

I updated to iTunes 7.6.1 when prompted yesterday (7.6.1.9 is the exact version I have). Ever since then, it's been choppy as gently caress, lagging, waiting a couple seconds to respond when I click anything, etc. I've tried raising the priority, clearing background apps, etc. It functions fine once the lag clears, like it doesn't skip when playing songs. But this is driving me nuts, and only started happening when it updated. My Touch still syncs fine, no issues. I'm running Vista Business 32 bit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I really hosed myself over here: When playing with Catagories and Customize, I accidentally hid all icons except for music/movies/safari/mail. I know I could SSH in to launch Customize and fix it, but here's the thing, I disabled SSH to save battery life. I'm trying right now to fool around with the N45AP.plist file and iPhoneBrowser, but no luck.

Am I hosed? Should I just restore and rejailbreak when the 1.1.4 one is out soon? I'm currently on jailbroken 1.1.2 btw.

EDIT: Fixed it....so loving proud of myself, here's what I did in case it helps anyone else:

After a LOT of fooling around:

1) Installed iPhoneBrowser (really useful tool I didn't know about)
2) Downloaded my N45AP.plist file from springboard folder
3) Using the info.plist files from Installer, I added it to the dock to my N45AP.plist
4) Using the browser program, I "replaced" the N45AP.plist file on my Touch with the one I modified locally
5) Rebooted my Touch, the dock now had Installer on it. I uninstalled Catagories, and everything reset back to normal.

Hell yeah

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 28, 2008

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

technic posted:

Ok after searching through this thread and only seeing stuff about Videora, is there any better alternative for avi -> mpeg4 conversion? I just got done converting a 700mb avi file and it was about 2.2gigs when done. Granted the video setting was set at high.

I'm currently (as in as I type this message) converting a 100mb avi file and it's already over 300mbs with the lowest settings possible. Wtf?

You're doing something wrong. My 700mb movies convert to around 250-300.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

NUDE GENTLEMAN posted:

http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/02/08/jailbreak-113-official-gui-2/

I used the above guide to jailbreak my Touch and it worked perfect. The below link has a little addendum about where to find oktoprep since the above link's info is out of date on that front.

http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/02/22/itunes-761-independance-ziphone/

Does that work with a 16gb Touch? I've been extremely wary of the latest jailbreak efforts due to the rumors I've seen about 16gb Touches being bricked or something...I've been running 1.1.2 since Xmas, but I decided I really want to update.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

tropical posted:

I just jailbroke my iPod Touch using a new ZiPhone release that just came out specifically to enable iPod jailbreaking on all models. I was running a jailbroken 1.1.2 but I restored to 1.1.4 in iTunes and then ran ZiPhone, clicked the iPod Jailbreak button and about 45 seconds later it was done, no issues at all.

I'm on 1.1.2 jailbroken as well, and I want to do the exact thing you just did. I've heard that ZiPhone has issues with the 16gb Touch, is this true? Could you link to the new ZiPhone release?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

NUDE GENTLEMAN posted:

https://www.ziphone.org

He got a 32GB iPod Touch and found out the issue that was loving up the iPod's in the software, so apparently it's fixed with the latest release.

http://download.ziphone.org/

Just did this on my 16gb Touch, and it worked PERFECTLY. I restored to 1.1.4 in iTunes, downloaded and jailbroke with ZiPhone, and boom its done in 45 seconds. Thanks!!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

LordOfThePants posted:

I have a 16gb touch, jailbroken with the 1.1.2 firmware.

If I update to 1.1.4 in iTunes, can I use ziPhone to jailbreak it? Will I still have installer.app and my applications?

I could start from scratch, but if there's a faster way I'll definitely do that.

I highly recommend you restore to 1.1.4 and then use the incredibly simple ZiPhone to jailbreak. It's just easier, and basically zero change of a problem. Just make a note of your favorite programs and FTP in to backup and themes or whatever, then install them again afterwards, it's pretty easy and fast.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Yossarko posted:

I just purchased a 16gb iPod Touch, and I was wondering what is the best / safest / recommended way to jailbreak ? I read about tiff exploits or ziphone or programs that you download / run so I'm confused about which "method" is best.

Thanks!

http://download.ziphone.org/

Really the only way to do it now. Make sure you restore to 1.1.4 in iTunes if you haven't already before you jailbreak.

e:fb

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
You know, even with all the iPhone hype right now, I'm still more than happy with my Touch. I don't need the phone part, I have a seperate Blackberry (which is FAR better than the iPhone in my mind), and the Touch is thinner and has as better screen than the iPhone anyways.

I'm a little pissed we're being charged for the new software, but TBH I'm more concerned about the continuation of jailbreaking. With all the new "official" apps, will us jailbreakers or whatever you want to call us still be able to modify our Touches to whatever end we want?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
So when do we get 2.0? I want to try out the AppStore and new features.

@Spacey: I had that issue originally, for me it was a bad router. I replaced it, and it all worked fine. This very possibly could not the same issue as you at all, but if you have a spare router I recommend swapping it out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Bob Vance posted:

For me, even plugging in my iPod after iTunes 7.7 did this. Can't say I'm surprised.

Weird, not for me. I'm running 7.7 right now, my Touch has been plugged in since last night, and is still running just fine on my jailbroken 1.1.4. I've synced several times too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Crowley posted:

So there i was trying to make a new build for my wow-character when it occured to me that i have no idea aboit how i can right-click in the browser. Looking on google lead me to some Yahoo-answer saying that you can't, but is that really true?

Yes, it's really true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Crowley posted:

crap!

It honestly hasn't been a loss to me, I can't think of one situation where I've missed it.

• Locked thread