Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Informative first post!

I'm having so much trouble SFTPing into the iPod. Neither iOrder or WinSCP can get in. I always get connection refused. Then I changed the password to make sure it's right, and it still won't work. The IP is correct for sure, and it's jailbroken for sure since I installed apps on it.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Lux Aeterna posted:

did you make sure ssh is enabled? iOrder didn't work for me either but i just dumped the file into my touch with winscp and that worked fine.

also for anyone using colloquy... i can't actually see where the text is being entered. its just a black bar with a blinking cursor. it's driving me nuts. I don't know if this is a weird 1.1.2 glitch or just an oversight of the devs. the rest of the program works great... i just cant see the text i type in.

I have the exact same problem with Colloquy with 1.1.1. I made a thread on iLounge hoping those iPod hackers have a solution.

Edit: SSH enabled and everything worked! Thanks!

CanuckBassist fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 22, 2007

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Hmmm album art is a bit glitchy for me. I can see the album art's tiny thumbnails on the album list, but when the album is playing, the full size album art doesn't show up. The albums that this affects seem to change everytime I sync with iTunes. I can see another album or two being updated onto my iPod even though there were no changes to these albums, and they end up having glitchy album art.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Your Vista woes sound horrible. I'm glad I haven't ran into those problems yet. No problems with videos or pictures, but I do have some random album art not syncing properly. I know Vista 64 is not supported by iTunes even though it manages to run, is that part of your problem?

What case is that? I ordered a Griffin iClear since I heard -that- is the best one.

Edit: It saddens me to find tiny scratches on the shiny side of the iPod already. I haven't taken it out of the house and I always keep it on the soft cloth since I'm waiting for my case to arrive.

CanuckBassist fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 26, 2007

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

When the stand is in use, is the back of the ipod in use? Seems like dust will be a pain. Personally, I don't need a stand, and I find the iClear looks a bit better. I usually stay away from clear cases because they tend to look cheap.

What's that tiny hole in the upper left of the case for. I'm guessing it's for the auto brightness sensor, but the case is clear. :psyduck:

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Lux Aeterna posted:

also for anyone using colloquy... i can't actually see where the text is being entered. its just a black bar with a blinking cursor. it's driving me nuts. I don't know if this is a weird 1.1.2 glitch or just an oversight of the devs. the rest of the program works great... i just cant see the text i type in.

Found a fix! Just have to SSH in and copy over a folder with some graphics or something.

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2060

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

I just got my Griffin iClear, and I have to say I love it. The back is absolutely gorgeous and feels great since it's a frosted look. The front is great, I like how the home button is not covered. The power button is also easily accessible. The front of the case is also against the iPod, so dust probably won't be able to get in.

I just wanted a simple case that looks good and protects my iPod. Fits my criteria great!

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

paulie walnuts posted:

So is a screen protector really necessary at all? I thought that the glass screen was supposed to be nearly unscratchable.

I've been wondering about this too. Screen protectors sure make the Touch less shiny. :3:

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

I think he might just be that unlucky. I've had no problems whatsoever with Vista32.

I'm actually not a fan of drag and drop. I grew to like having iTunes organize my library and syncing everything for me. Then again, this might be because my 12gig library can all fit on the 16gig Touch. When my library gets bigger than the Touch capacity, it might be a little annoying to have to choose songs that I want with me.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

That leather case looks pretty awesome. If you have a bit more to spend, look at https://www.vajastore.com . Their leather cases look awesome, but a bit expensive and takes a while to make for you (custom-ish).

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Zeph posted:

How on earth did you get it to encode multiple videos one after another? I see a queue window but all the options are greyed out, I can only encode one video at a time, going through the whole settings process every time.

When one is in progress, just go through the same process to set up another video, and it'll get added to the queue.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Has anyone been using their Touch without a screen protector for at least a few weeks? I have the Griffin iClear, and I love the case, but is a screen protector really necessary for the Touch? The screen is glass and seems very, very scratch-proof. I just think a screen protector makes the display less sexy.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Cowboy Kyle posted:

I'm thinking about buying a touch and I was wondering about the jailbreak thing vs. apples own SDK. Is that SDK just around the corner or what is the deal with it? Does anyone have a good comparison about what the SDK will support and allow users to do with their touchs? I'm kinda iffy about the whole jailbreak thing anywho. I know i'll be buying the warranty from best buy assuming I get it from there, which I likely will and I don't want to kill that warranty because they are expensive.

You have no idea how easy it is to jailbreak, and how easy it is the reverse it. There has also been not a single confirmed case of bricking a Touch either.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Cowboy Kyle posted:

I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow and chances are I'll be walking away with a touch. :iamafag:

If you're in Canada, I hope you survive Boxing Day at Best Buy.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

I have a strange crash and freeze bug with both Apollo and MobileIM. After a few minutes of use both will become unresponsive and the touch refuses to respond to the power off button and the home button as well. Is there anyway I can stop this from happening? Thanks.

Try holding the home button, that forces the program to close completely, not simply minimizing when you press the home button once.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

CheeseDoodle posted:

It's not like I'm clueless, I just don't have an inate knowledge that if I tap on the screen when it's on a web page that it will zoom in. Sometimes a LOT and sometimes a little. How do I make it somewhere in the middle?

The zooming depends on what you double tapped on. If you double tapped on an article, it'll zoom in so that that the article fits the width of the screen. If you double tapped on a picture, it'll zoom in so the picture fits the screen. This works on most webpages, unless it's too complicated for Safari to comprehend where an article begins and ends or something.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Edit: Nevermind.

New problem!
So I upgraded to 1.1.4 and jailbroke with Ziphone. I see the Mail, Weather, and other apps while SSHing, but their icons are not on the main screen. Anyways I can get them on there without messing with the N45AP.plist?

CanuckBassist fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 28, 2008

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Anyone having problems with cookies after jailbreaking with Ziphone? I've restored to factory settings and ran ziphone a few times, and after each jailbreak, I'll log into the forums or some other site, and then after navigating a page or two later, I'll be logged out.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't seem to have that problem. Perhaps it's got something to do with another app?

Ziphone 3.0, by the way.

Using 3.0 definitely fixed it. Apparently I was using 2.6d, which I got only last week.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Is it just me or does Safari's PDF viewer suck? Nothing seems to load past the first page.

I can't seem to download PDFviewer anymore either, it always says download failed.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

My Touch restored to 1.1.4 had only a bit more than 100mb of "other" stuff on it.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Owsla posted:

^ Can I do that if I'm currently on jailbroken 1.1.2?

I was on jailbroken 1.1.1. I upgraded to 1.1.4 with iTunes, and then restored to default 1.1.4, and ran ziphone. I don't know if you can restore to 1.1.4 default straight from 1.1.2, but my slightly longer way worked just fine.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

neuralyzer posted:

Does Apple have a history of updating its iPods at WWDC? I'm willing to hold off on a Touch until June if there's a precedent for upgrades/price drops. The MacRumors guide says the Touch is in a mid-product cycle, but I'm not sure if that takes WWDC into account.

I don't think so. A quick scan of the WWDC wiki shows no iPod updates in the past few years.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Wow, this looks like an awesome case for the Touch! It's so thin! If only they didn't ship with UPS, Canadians will have to pay an extra $20 for customs. :(

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

I do believe 1.1.4 with Ziphone is the easiest way, and it's so drat easy.

Just download Ziphone and run/install it. The Ziphone window is very intuitive. You just click the button for the thing you want to do (jailbreak Touch), and it tells you to have iTunes running and the Touch connected. Just let it do its thing.

After jailbreaking, you will have a new Install icon. Just click that to install programs, also very intuitive.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Dvlos posted:

how do you get one to the second page of apps :(

Drag it towards the right side of the screen until a new page comes up.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Dvlos posted:

What about deleting 'em? Are you just stuck with them unless you do a restore?

Do you want to keep the program but don't want to see the icon? Or do you just don't want the program altogether? If it's the latter, then just go open up the Installer program and uninstall it. I'm not sure how to delete an icon unless you do it manually with the icons file, which is a pain.

Dvlos posted:

I can load 80gbs worth of music on my iPod Classic, yet the iPod Touch takes 4 hours to do 30gbs
I think it's a bug with iTunes or something. Sometimes I see that it's taking more than 30seconds to sync each song, I'll just restart the computer and it'll sync much faster.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Have you tried clicking on the dialog box? :)

The keyboard will automatically pop up whenever you click on a box that you can type in.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Dvlos posted:

Can anyone post up some battery life experiences with the 32gb iTouch? It seems as if it eats all its power in 4hours on standby (far longer on power off). Does that seem about right? Seems a bit low compared to the iPhone 8gb someone at work uses and I think I can get 6-8 off my classic playing music with the screen dimmed.

I have a 16gb iTouch, so it's not exactly the same. I can leave it on standby for days, and there will still be some battery left.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Dvlos posted:

I do have it Jailbroken, but what apps could possibly be draining it, it's definitely on a wifi network though either at home or at my wife's job.

I don't remember if this is an option, but are you leaving WiFi on even in standby? Maybe that's the problem.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Dvlos posted:

My wife doesn't turn off Wifi she just hits standby...

I just looked through my wifi settings. I didn't find anything useful, so I guess the wifi turns off automatically.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Litch991 posted:

I'd love to get some games on there but if I brick my new touch...:smithicide:

This is what every new person that comes into the thread is worried about. So far, jailbreaking cannot brick the Touch. You just have to restore it to default with iTunes if something goes wrong (ie crashes).

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Drunk Bettie posted:

will I lose all my data/songs?

If I remember correctly, you are supposed to restore back to default 1.1.4 before you jailbreak with Ziphone. So you'd lose everything off your Touch.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

the SA forums let my log in, but will log me out if I choose a sub forum.

I had this exact problem with jailbroken 1.1.4 once. I couldn't find a solution and just restored back to default and re-jailbroke.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

Maybe I'll try a restore and see what happens.

Oh yeah, sorry. This is what I meant. Restoring to default fixed it.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

If I update to 2.0 now, what exactly happens before I re-jailbreak? Is all data deleted/restored to factory settings, or just the Jailbreak-related apps/data?

I think that might depend on the jailbreaking program. With Ziphone and jailbreaking 1.1.4, you are supposed to restore to 1.1.4 default before you run Ziphone.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Gmail sometimes gives me trouble on Thunderbird on my PC, saying my password is incorrect but I'll be able to login through the website. I think it's just their imap servers being retarded.

I rarely check my mail through my Touch, so I haven't seen it come up on that yet.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Mook posted:

Probably nothing? I admit I don't really understand how itunes and everything works. Can i move items from the ipod onto her mac? or do I have to copy everything to her mac directly from my PC? or can I just leave it and if she ever deletes it oh well?

An iPod is "assigned" to a computer, and it can only sync with that computer. If she wants to put new stuff on there through her macbook, she'll have to assign the iPod to sync with her own computer, which would erase everything already on the iPod.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

confusion2005 posted:

So my iTunes 8 says that its downloading the 2.1 firmware for the iPod touch right now. I'm confused as i didnt think it was supposed to be out until Friday!!!

I'll post once its finished download and installing to see if it really is what it thinks it is.

It's out now for the Touch, but not until Friday for iPhones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

jebrown84 posted:

Can a unjailbroken touch remember a password for a sight so I wouldn't have to enter it every time I wanted to browse the forums?

Yeah, Touch's Safari can do cookies, so you only have to log in once.

I did run into a bug once where Safari simply refused to save any cookies. I had to restore it back to default, and it fixed itself.

• Locked thread