Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hate to be that guy, but I am. Why don't you keep the music on your computer in iTunes, and just let the iPod sync from the iTunes library? Then you could make the changes in the library, and then plug in the device to sync it.

I don't know how to fix your problem, but that would essentially be a backup to prevent it from happening again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'm borrowing my roommate's iPod Touch 8GB 2nd gen. I want to put a playlist on it of songs in a certain order, do I need to install iTunes to do this? I don't want to wipe out anything she's got. Bear in mind I'm beginner level in Apple world.

iTunes won't let you do this. It's something they put on iPods so that you can just plug it into every computer and take the music from them. Likely so that the RIAA doesn't try to sue them for file sharing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I still wish I didn't give away my original 6GB iPod when I outgrew it. Man, I remember back then when I thought "I would never need that much space for music". That thing single-handedly changed how I listen to music and how often. Now I'm on the last model with nearly 90 gigs of music, and it's still working fine. Sure, I was going to make it redundant when I go for a phone upgrade and get at 128 gig model, but it's nice to have music playing in a dock and to not have to stop it playing music every time I leave my desk.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The biggest problem is that you're not using it the way they designed it. iDevices assume you're using iTunes to store the music, and then mirror it on the devices. Anything else is basically a hack if you're not using iTunes. In which case, you might as well use something else.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, sorry. I just see a lot of people who try to use iPods as dropboxes for mp3 files, rather than using iTunes.

Are you sure the field you are using for albums isn't a "Sort By Album"? Otherwise, when iTunes itself gets buggy with albums (splitting them in two for example), I will select all the songs on that album, add a space to the end of the album title, and then remove it. So "The Colour And The Shape" to "The Colour And The Shape ", then back to the first one. This will make iTunes re-write the album tags, and then I change it right back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Brekelefuw posted:

I don't use sort by albums. The ipod is new and there are only 5 albums on it so far. 3 of which show up with correct tags in iTunes, but show up as unknown album on the device.

That's why I suggested selecting the albums that aren't working, rename them slightly, then rename them back. It will let iTunes rewrite those fields, and maybe fix your problem after the next sync.

• Locked thread