Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Here are the tags

Here is the sorting info

Here is my ipod

Assuming the tracks aren't set as a compilation, here's how I fix that problem.

Drop everything into a playlist, and then delete everything in the artist, album, sort artist, and sort album fields. Hit ok. Go back into info, rewrite the info, and hit ok again. I have no idea why it works (iTunes is black magic)

quote:

Unrelated, has anybody heard anything about updates to the iPod classic? I just want a shitload of music without any of the fancy touch apps or whatnot, but it is pretty outdated now.
The classic line will never be updated. IIRC, the last rollout featured an upgrade of every other line except the classics, while referring to them as 'all the iPods.'

I'm not as disappointed about it as I used to be. I'd owned a 160gig classic since shortly after the latest gen came out, and used it almost every day, while working mostly. When it suffered a bit of HD damage, I came to terms with the limits of platter drives, and scaled down my library to fit my 'new' 64gig 3rd gen iTouch.

I can more easily gently caress with playlists while on the go, I can turn off that stupid auto-pause 'feature' when a headphone plug is disconnected, and the games that I put on it are way more fun than solitare. Not to mention the main reason for getting one, I don't have to worry about corruption every time I clip a countertop or something.

Anyway, Apple is clearly moving away from physical media, towards a cloud-based model. The classic doesn't really fit with that.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

This actually worked for me, and then I deleted the playlist and UGK disappeared from the artist list again, so I re-did the whole playlist process several times and it didn't work at all.

What the gently caress? Why is this so difficult? I paid the largest company in America $400 for this device and they can't figure out how to make all my music appear the way it's supposed to?

That's never happened to me. Try setting it all as a comp, hitting ok, then unchecking the box. There's got to be some sort of psuedohidden tag that iTunes keeps stumbling over.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

plainswalker75 posted:

What's the estimated date for the next iPod release? I'm currently using a 3rd gen Touch, but I'd like to upgrade to a model with bluetooth (and retina, preferably); what I don't want is to purchase a new 5th gen, only to have the price drop by $100+ 3 months later when 6 is released.

New iPods always come out in september. I'd speculate we won't get a new touch this year.

Also, the 2g-4g touches support bluetooth 2.1.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

BGrifter posted:

I'd highly recommend spending the couple extra bucks to get the 32gb 5th gen and not the cheap $199 4th they're still selling. I believe the 4th gen has less RAM than the 4th gen iPhones had and it causes all sorts of crashing issues with games. The 5th gen iPod Touch got the screen size increase, processor bump and double the RAM.
I have a 3rd gen, and the lower memory just means you have to kill background tasks more often; it's hardly a dealbrealer.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 8, 2013

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

hypersleep posted:

I actually have a 4GB Sansa Clip Zip that I stuck a 32GB micro SD card in and installed Rockbox on, and it's by far the best no-frills portable audio player. I got it because I wanted something tiny to use while working out, and the Clip is a much better option than the Shuffle.

As for iPod touch competitors, sure, you could get a no-contract 16GB Nexus 4, but it's $349. Maybe a used phone would be cheaper, but it seems like the touch is the best option unless you're really determined to go Android instead of iOS.

Android phones with bad IMEIs are dirt cheap on ebay.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Does Windows show 57gb or however much it is now free?

Sharepod is designed to rip from an ipod. It's a pretty big longshot given how much free space it shows, making me think everything got deleted, but who knows. Maybe it's still all on there but iTunes is too stupid to see it.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Vincent posted:

I have an ipod classic (160GB) which doesn't get recognized by itunes and my computer is telling me I need to format the device (I have windows 7). Do I really need to do that? I have my music backed up but it would suck to have to put it all back again.

Also I'm sick of having to use bullshit itunes on my computer, but as there is no other alternatives I thought about jailbreaking the thing. What good software is there that runs on an ipod Classic 7h Generation? I'm just looking for something that plays music and that let's me use another software instead of itunes.

There are poo poo tons of different alternatives to iTunes. This question is asked constantly, and if you read even just a couple pages in this thread you'll see examples.

Also, you don't jailbreak iPod Classics; you just install Rockbox. As far as installing custom firmwares on an iPod classic goes, especially your iPod Classic, I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you're (very) familiar modifying/replacing low level stuff like bootloaders:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/Main/IpodPort

As far as your computer not recognizing it, make sure it's not working with damaged sectors. Phones and Ipod Nanos store their data on what's called mmc, which is a form of flash memory. Ipod Classics store data on an old school platter hard disk, which is prone to corruption, especially if you happen to drop it while it's reading.

Right click the disk in My Computer, then go to the tool tab and do an error check. It should mark the bad spots as unusable and hopefully let you format it and avoid the nastiness that comes from hard drive corruption, but it's not foolproof. Of course if the error check says it couldn't find bad sectors, then there might be some other problem like hosed up drivers or something like that.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 20, 2014

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Vincent posted:

It says that the check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk. I can still play music in it, but I can't add or delete any songs or anything (including restoring it) because iTunes or Copy Trans Manager both don't read the device. I don't want to format the iPod when Windows asks me to because I'm afraid it might delete even whatever software it has inside that makes it function as an iPod and I'll be stuck with just a very expensive black paperweight.

You definitely have bad sectors. If it's still got Applecare, have it replaced under warranty. If it qualifies for the 1 or 2 year Applecare extensions, I'd get one.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Just copy your itunes.lib

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

68k posted:

I'm gonna buy the next available device that has 128+ GB and can play FLAC, whatever it may be. This ipod news bums me out. I really want to get one since my 08' model is on its last legs, but I don't have the cash at the moment and I know the prices are going to skyrocket. :sigh:

Micro SD cards come in 128gb flavors now, so all you need is a device that can read class 10 cards, which is a poo poo load of devices.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

On the topic of iPod Classic replacements..

It looks like iPod Classic 160GB models are selling for quite a handy price on the used market so I've decided to see if I can sell my 7yr old 6th generation and replace it with a cheap, but decent Android prepaid phone (I have both a Sharp Aquos Crystal and Moto E on the way to try out) with a 128GB MicroSD card. The loss of 32GB of space and hardware buttons will be lame, but I have WiFi at work and can use Plex. Maybe someone will come out with a reasonably priced 256GB MicroSD card one of these days.

Those Fiio X1/X3 players look really nice and reasonably priced, I just wish they'd gone with full sized SD card slots instead of micro. You can get 256GB SD cards for under $100.

They sell adapters, but I haven't used one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Holy poo poo! I had looked multiple times without luck, but I finally found a couple on eBay. I already have a 128GB MicroSD card in the mail, otherwise I'd be tempted to try this. Probably a nightmare to try to fit in a backplate of a phone though.

This would work best in something with a user replaceable battery. Extended batteries come with their own backplates, thus allowing extra room for the sd card converter.

• Locked thread