Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So a few weeks ago I decided that I wanted an iPhone. After looking over the options I had, I determined that what I actually want isn't an iPhone, but something identical to an iPhone in practically every way, but with no additional data plan fees. Since I already have a cell phone and cell plan I'm fine with losing the phone functionality, and after looking around a bit it seems like the iPod touch is pretty much literally that - an iPhone without the phone (or GPS, and with a somewhat worse camera, either of which matter to me).

So I've got a few questions regarding this thing:

* This probably isn't the best thread to ask in, but generally speaking, is this thing worth the price? My last iPod was the first generation of video iPod and it's just now starting to poo poo itself which makes me pretty confident in the quality of these things, but it's always worth asking.

* What, if anything, can an iPhone do that an iPod touch can't, outside of the obvious (making calls) and the lack of GPS chip? Are most iPhone apps compatible with the touch, or will I have to be looking for touch-specific apps?

* Is 8gb enough and/or is it worth the extra to go for the larger capacities? My old iPod was, I think, 30gb or so, which turned out to be way more space than I ever needed for it. I think I filled up 10g or so, and most of that was filler that I never actually listened to that only ended up there because I ripped full albums. On the other hand, I was only storing music (and occasionally small videos) on that, where here I'll have all kinds of apps, probably some pictures because of the camera functionality, possibly ebooks, etc etc.

* What functions will require a jailbreak? Also, as far as jailbreaking goes, is tethered my only option?

* How sturdy are these guys? Is a case worth investing in? I tended to prefer the older iPods over the newer ones back when I got mine, because they were bulkier and meatier and generally felt more solid in my hands. Are these guys nice and thick, or are they skinny boys? Are they made of nintendium or is occasionally dropping the thing something to genuinely worry about?

* How's the battery life? Assuming it's used primarily for music and secondarily for games and random apps (but rarely for watching video and almost never for taking video), how many hours could I expect to get out of a charge?

Apologies if these questions are all asked commonly (I'm sure they are), I just don't have time right now to sift through the whole thread. I'll probably at least give it a skim in a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Is it only the Defender Otterboxes that mess with wifi signal, or all of them? I prefer the feel of a bulkier device in my hand, so I'd like to find a case that makes it feel a bit thicker and heavier. I had one for my old iPod that was basically just a silicon wraparound with a bunch of plastic padding in the back and a big fat extra battery at the bottom, which was really handy. Are there any like that for these (and are they any good)?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Packard Goose posted:

Does anyone have an iPod classic latest generation? How does it fare in your day to day use? Does it ever skip while playing songs? I imagine the thing is pretty bulky and not really made to be portable/active person friendly but they do make armbands for them which is more than I can say for the iPhone I have.

I had an iPod video first gen that I'm like 90% sure had a platter hard drive (you could hear it spinning up and such). That iPod just started going to poo poo earlier this year, nearly six years after I purchased it. I constantly used it while running, working out, and other activities like that. It had been dropped on the concrete at least once a week for the first four years of that time. The only thing I ever had to fix on it was the headphone jack.

What I'm saying here is that even if the one you're looking at doesn't have flash memory, I wouldn't worry too much about reliability. I've been pretty consistently impressed with apple's products to this end.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

b0nes posted:

Also aside from getting the Cydia store, what advantages are there to jailbreaking? I understand for an iPhone but how about an iPod?

All the same stuff...? iPod touches are literally just iPhones without the phone stuff. No calling, no GPS. All the same jailbreak stuff applies on both except stuff involving calls or GPS.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Anyone tried updating to iOS 6.1 on their 4th gen iPod Touch? 256 MB seems so miniscule even with 5.1.1..

If I'd known the 5th gen was definitely going to be 512 MB I would've held out.

Updated fright after the new jailbreak came out. Works fine and its much faster and less crashy. Some of that improvement is certainly the wiping if tons of random cydia tweaks I'd forgotten about, but the moral of the story is that it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

e: Okay, the original post was needlessly dramatic. Basically though iTunes keeps crashing and none of the popular alternatives seem to recognize my iPod.

Is there a way to add music without creating a backup? Or an alternative program that actually works with the latest model iPod and/or iOS 7?

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 31, 2014

• Locked thread