Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
I was thinking of getting an iPod touch as a Christmas gift for myself. I bought an Archos 605, thinking it would be better than an iPhone/iPod touch. Unfortunately, the Archos keeps making me think it's the worst device ever made.

1) It allegedly takes any file without conversion, but due to the bullshit plugin thing, I need to convert almost everything anyway.
2) The music interface is a total joke.
3) Web browsing is equally a joke. Admittedly Youtube is nice, but everything is so god damned slow.
4) The "Widgets" are pointless, and there's no homebrew.
5) The battery is pretty weird and sometimes loses charge for no real reason.

So while I'd like an iPhone, Buying one right now doesn't make sense with the 3G coming. So I look to the touch. However, I've the iLounge review says that the screen, battery, audio fidelity, everything is generally inferior to the iPhone. Is this true, or is it just bellyaching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
I can kind of answer 2.

The screen is glass. Not plastic or composite or resin or anything like that. It's very hard, and very difficult to scratch. However, being glass, it's probably very brittle too. I hear it's specially tempered, but I'd rather not find out how hard it is to shatter.

So no, you probably don't need a screen protector. Unless you keep gravel and sandpaper in your pocket. And like all iPods, the other side is polished aluminum and scratches the second you look at it funny. But it's the back so who cares.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

Oh no. I dropped my touch.

I'm not too worried because everything still works. I dropped it from about 18" onto a hard floor. It fell flat, and did not scratch the screen or even leave a mark.

However, the LCD panel appears to have detached from the glass and is now sunk slightly into the device. There's a small gap, maybe 1/8" all the way around the screen that looks like the typical greyish beige of the touch while it's off. Everything works, it's mainly cosmetic. The digitizer is off, but it's such a tiny amount it's barely noticeable.

Has this happened to anyone, and is it fixable? The front bezel looks to be glued to the other side, and it looks like a major pain to get apart and then get together. Looking at some disassembly videos, maybe it's not glued, but it still looks like a pain in the rear end.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread