Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Just ordered myself a 2g touch off of ebay, and I'd love to have a case ready to put it in as soon as it arrives. I know BestSkinEver is still highly goon recommended for your first layer of protection, so I was wondering if anyone had any favorite cases of late they might like to recommend.

Googling a little bit for ipod touch cases led me around to http://www.switcheasy.com/ which has some impressive looking cases that will cover the entire ipod and seemingly keep dust out entirely, and their cases even seem to come with a similar screen guard to BestSkinEver. Does anyone have any experience with their cases?

Hard to know what direction to go with cases since there are so many on the market. I wish ipodlounge had a better way of sorting through their case reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Just got my ipod touch today and had a quick question; If you jailbreak you can just restore the official firmware if you ever had to send in your ipod while it was under warranty, correct? Or can they detect that you've messed with it somehow? I'm curious as if they can as then buying applecare would be pointless, but if they can't and you can just restore the official firmware then it could be worth it. I've had applecare in the past on older ipods, and it was always sweet to walk into a store with an issue and have them swap a malfunctioning ipod out for a new one.

Edit: Answered my own question by checking out the ipodtouchfans forum, looks like I'm correct in that as long as you can restore to the official firmware they have no way of knowing. Has anyone here ever sent in a jailbroken device and had any issues getting it repaired/replaced?

Protip fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 28, 2009

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I was able to very easily jailbreak my new 2g touch last night and I've been having a lot of fun playing around with it. One thing I've noticed is that as a new owner the sheer number of apps and games feels a little overwhelming at first. With so much out there it is hard to know what is worth checking out. I've found a few good looking websites like toucharcade.com and 148apps.com for info and reviews, but does anyone else have any resources they'd recommend bookmarking? How about any websites that have a full list of all available apps/games, as browsing through iTunes feels bulky when you're not looking for anything specific. I've even tried just searching youtube for people's top app/game reviews to get an insight into what is out there.

I was also wondering if anyone had any recommendations for helping to improve the performance of emulators. I tried out the NES emulator, and I do understand they are all still in development, but I was surprised when even the first Super Mario Brothers didn't run that smoothly.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Away all Goats posted:

What do people recommend for a good screen protector? My cellphone always gets scratches and I think I should avoid that with this device.

I went with Best Skin Ever as it was extremely cheap and is pretty well liked by many reviewers and goons alike. Not only do they send you a skin to cover the entire front of your ipod (including the home button) but you get a skin to protect the back. I found installation to be very straightforward and pretty simple. It looks and feels great, and I'd definitely recommend them. Shipping was incredibly fast too which was nice.

I think the best thing is that even after applying the skin the ipod should still be able to fit in most cases. After I put the BSE on my touch I used the NeoTouch from Switcheasy for added protection.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

GWBBQ posted:

I'm convinced that the 2g jailbreak is still unstable. Even without backgrounding anything, I get random app quits, especially in Safari, constantly. The few people I know who did it have all gone back to the original firmware.

Also, my screen is broken again and this time it's my fault :(

I haven't experienced any of these issues either. I love my jailbroken 2g touch!

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I asked this in the apps thread, but figured I'd ask here as well since there are many other ipod touch owners in this thread.

Is anyone aware of any apps for the ipod touch that allow you to save different maps and driving directions (I do have a jailbroken touch if there are unofficial apps). While I know I can load up a map using the built in app while at home I'd love to be able to keep multiple sets of directions and maps for future trips, and not have to worry about finding random wireless networks when looking to take a new set of directions with me.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I wanted to take a moment to again recommend https://www.switcheasy.com to anyone looking for a case for their iPod Touch. I picked up a NeoTouch for my 2nd gen a couple of months ago and absolutely love the case. Recently however I noticed that the silicon slip cover had begun to tear around the volume rocker and when I originally tried installing the silicon the first cover I used tore in the corner. You're probably wondering why I'd recommend them after both of the silicon covers that came with the case tore; well today I received another entire new NeoTouch as a replacement. I had contacted them about getting the silicon portions replaced since the case is under warranty thinking they would just send me a few more covers and was really surprised when the package I was expecting from them today contained an entire brand new NeoTouch case, that's a $30 value!

Awesome service, very friendly staff, and overall a great product that they do stand behind.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Evil Kaneval posted:

I use this case as well and it's definitely decent. I did have problems getting the case all the way on without the silicon cover getting all bunched up in spots. I had to actually trim parts of the silicon cover that were hanging out in spots off to get it looking halfway decent. Once I did that it's been smooth sailing. Maybe I'm just a huge idiot when it comes to putting these things on though.

It's definitely not the world's easiest skin to install. I had the same issues with you with my first skin, but when trying to second one I somehow figured out the magic way to do it and it easily snapped on/together with no bunching up of the silicon skin. The best advice I could give anyone who gets the NeoTouch is to take your time with it.

On a side note I also have a BestSkinEver applied underneath my NeoTouch and on the screen for added protection, the combination works great.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

For those looking for a case I highly recommend checking out the reviews at https://www.ilounge.com

They provide a pretty good run down of what's out there.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Eunabomber posted:

What cases are you guys using on these things? Or has the construction improved so that the back does not end up scratched to hell after a day or two in a purse.

I'm using SwitchEasy's Neotouch combined with the BestSkinEver and I feel wonderfully protected. The Neotouch can be a little hard to get on, but once it is on I feel it provides some really solid protection.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Massasoit posted:

Is there any way I can make it so that the touch will show the remaining amount of time a song will play for? I have not been able to find an option to turn this on and it is incredibly frustrating. Any jailbroken apps/plugins I can put on that will allow me to do this?

Not sure if you're looking for something more than this, but while you are playing a song if you just tap once on the album artwork (so don't be in track listing) it brings up an extra window that shows the current track time on the left, the skip bar in the middle, and the remaining track time on the right.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I was pretty excited to try out organizing my applications through iTunes, but of course it turns out I'd have to buy the 3.0 update first. I really don't want to update to the 3.x firmwares until all the issues many touch owners complain about with the firmware are resolved.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

For those of you who went from the 2.1 firmware to 3.0 and noticed performance drops and other similar issues, if you're upgrading to 3.1 can you let us know how the update affects those issues?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

WDIIA posted:

... and despite not having any problems with installation the silicon sleeve had already torn in 20 minutes.

This happened to me when I got my NeoTouch as well. I contacted Switcheasy and included pictures of the torn silicon hoping to get replacements, and to my suprise they sent me an entire second brand new NeoTouch.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I said come in! posted:

Which touch are you using it on? Will this work on the 2nd gen? Please report back with your status! Been looking forward to jailbreaking 4.0 on my 2nd gen for sometime now.

I've had my 2nd gen 16gb touch jailbroken for awhile now. I believe I used redsn0w and had absolutely no problems jailbreaking, and haven't had any issues after completing the jailbreak (other than a lot of the cydia apps I had installed previously not being updated yet).

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Karthe posted:

I went ahead and ordered one of those Stealth Guard sets, but while we're on the subject, are there any goon-recommended screen protectors? I'd be satisfied with just a screen protector until the 4G cases start coming out.

I have a Best Skins Ever screen protector on my 2nd gen touch, and it has worked extremely well. One of the best things about BSE is their price; a total body skin for the 4th gen ipod touch is only $6.99. Shipping is simple since they just send it to you in an envelope instead of a box.

I also have used BodyGuardz on my HTC Hero (I went with them because BSE didn't have a Hero skin available yet) and they had really excellent customer service when I contacted them with some issues I had with their screen protectors. Each of the two screen protectors I was sent had a weird streaking look even after drying. They sent me out a replacement set very quickly free of charge. Once I got the new skins on there everything looked great. They are more expensive, and come with a little bottle of solution to use when applying, but really it is easy enough to make your own.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Besides Apple (who is currently out of stock), does anyone have recommendations on where you can buy refurbished iPod nanos? Looking for a 7th gen and was hoping to not pay full retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Quinctia posted:

Gamestop, Disc Replay, I know have them. Also, since a bunch of people with 1st Gen Nanos got 6th Gen ones in a recall, it might be easier to find a nice, barely used 6th Gen on the cheap.

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't considered Gamestop and their prices are decent enough. I just got lucky and was able to get a Manufactured refurbished one off eBay for a little less. Was going for the 7th gen for the Bluetooth functionality (it's a gift). I was actually one of those who got a 6th gen after that recall and love it!

• Locked thread