Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuna
Jul 17, 2003

OP posted:

Modifying the order of your icons

Customize 1.18 now works on the iTouch. 1.17 also works with a slight hack. This is probably a lot easier to re-arange icons because it has a simple drag and drop interface directly in the ipod.

When you install Customize, it will crash as soon as it opens, all you have to do is open it constantly for about 10-20 times and it will stay open. You only need to do this once.

[edit] Oh, yeah, and I really want THIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

kevdude posted:

I'm terrified now...getting a Touch very soon, but I run Vista (32 bit Business). But seemingly unlike you, I've never had an issue with iTunes (or Quicktime) in Vista. Yeah, it's sluggish, inefficient, and obviously not optimized. But it's never crashed, it works fine, and I haven't had any errors or had something not work. Am I going to have issues when I start using my Touch?

iTunes works perfectly on my Vista32 as well, and my iPod hasn't had any of the problems IzzyNobre is ranting about. He's taken a rather large dose of bad luck for every single obscure bug to hit him all at once. Don't let it put you off :unsmith:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Vyze posted:

Need to get the weDict stuff working, can't remember if I downloaded any dictionaries for it or not.

Just a heads up because it confused the gently caress out of me before: When you download dictionaries, you have to manually check them inside WeDict by tapping on the "i" information icon. This inappropriate icon also may or may not open at all unless you've tapped it about 30 times, and by then you're tapping so fast you'll hit the "done" button that loads up directly behind it and have to start all over again. Before I managed to work out the "i" thing I just presumed the application really sucked.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

* eBooks - lets you read books on your Touch that others have converted to whatever type of format. Not many books available currently.

It uses plain text formats like .htm and .txt. Just put them in /var/root/media/ebooks/bookname and split them up into a few smaller chunks so they don't take so long to load in the reader. I've read a few books this way, it's really handy.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Vyze posted:

What's the difference between the eBook reader, and just opening a text file in the TextEdit app or have .htm files from an iTouch Apache Webserver?

And argh, I'm getting angrier at my wifi thingie by the day. :(

The Books app will remember where you left off, so you're not searching for that last sentence each time you open it. You can also change the font, the size of the text, the colours and a bunch of easy navigation options options if you format it properly.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Well I'm running 1.1.3 jailbroken on the iPod now. Hopefully this isnt :filez: but by a simple file rename via sftp you can switch to the iphone version of the firmware and get access to all of the normal iphone 1.1.3 apps like maps, wobble, etc. Until a better method comes along.

Wobble is really nice, it's a lot better than using customize, I can now also add my yahoo account into the mail app unlike before, and the maps app found my location in my house instantly, I'm not even sure how. Overall a pretty good update!

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

gargamale posted:

Doesn't this put the iphone firmware on your iPod? Including installing applications we can't use like Camera and Phone? Is there a specific guide you used for the ipod 1.1.3 jailbreak, because I don't want to restore and have to do 1.1.1 jailbreak again if I can avoid it.

I used this method. I've heard a few issues can arise if you've got certain things installed. I personally restored 1.1.1 fresh for 1.1.3 jailbreak because I wanted to replace customize and springboard with the wobble thing, which works a lot better (I didn't really use themes). Even after the restore it kept all my notes, music, photos etc.

The iPhone apps only show up when you follow this little process (quoting from someone on macrumors forums)

quote:

1) Im assuming you have a jailbroken ipod touch, so download BSD Subsystem and then OpenSSH.
2) Login to your ipod with Windscp or the mac one with your ip address as host name, root as username, and alpine as password.
3) Go into /System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app and rename N45AP.plist to some like N45AP.old.
4) Then change M68AP.plist into N45AP.plist and reboot iPod Touch.

But it's not all the iPhone apps, it has the maps/weather etc. then the phone and text apps and tries to connect to a phone network (but doesn't bother you about it), no camera app. All in all a bizzare mix of the iPhone and iPod firmwares.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

gargamale posted:

Sorry if you feel I am being dense, but if I do the "restore 1.1.1" in itunes via shift clicking restore and using the 1.1.1 file from Apple, do I have to jailbreak 1.1.1 again to allow the 1.1.3 iBricker edition to work?

Yeah it needs to be jailbroken. I don't know how you did it last time, but these days it's as simple as visiting jailbreakme.com in the ipod safari browser, clicking the button at the bottom of the page and watching it do all the work (in 30 seconds).

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Justin posted:

Ok I upgraded via the installer and it worked like a charm. The only problem is that most of my apps are gone (probally because they aren't compatible with 1.1.3 I guess)

At least I still have my music.

Like Fallon said, the apps are installed on a different partition, which is what you just restored. Most the user data and content is on a different partition that isn't touched, so a lot of the apps (they all work on 1.1.3) will retain their settings when you install them again. For instance VNsea remembered my servers, the ebooks app kept all the books i'd added, weDict kept all the dictionaries I'd downloaded and notes had kept all my notes.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Justin posted:

I see that. It shows that some of my programs are still in the installer. Would I be able to change the partition?

You can move folders and data and create symbolic links so nothing breaks, but really I don't know why you'd want to, other than to bypass the allocated space for program files on the disc (which is around 300mb).

Christoff posted:

That being said, are all the apps listed in this thread and such compatible with the new patch?

Yeah they should be. I haven't tried every single one personally but I havent heard of any breaking. If they are broken, they are usually a very specific app that does a certain tweak that you're unlikely to be interested in. It lets you know in the installer anyway.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Xinopay posted:

Also, I'm not going to try this for myself in case it fucks everything up for me but; is it possible to remove the icon for Customize itself from within Customize? And if so, how do I reverse it?

This does indeed sound like a bad idea, but you could reverse it by SFTPing in and editing the N45AP.plist file to show the icon(s) again, or simply create a backup N45AP.plist file and rename it to restore Customize changes.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

So 1.1.4 comes with an apparent size increase and no features.. SDK app support perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

It could be that my install just a bit broken, but does the backspace key work poperly in Term-vt100 on 1.1.3? I probably need to re-jailbreak 1.1.3 anyway, I'm just wondering if this is a known problem.

• Locked thread