Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Anyone have any tips for getting Tversity to work with the touch? I've set up the server on my PC, our 360 streams from it instantly no problem, but the touch takes FOREVER to open a video file and 9 times out of 10 it won't open them at all. I've only been sucessful in opening tiny mpegs so far.

I've been connecting to the server by entering my internal IP on Safari's address bar, then the colon and port #, then /iphone

Is this right? Is the problem that I don't actually have an iphone?

The touch is jailbroke etc. FWIW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Mortley posted:

The Archos does seem to be the only legitimate alternative to the Touch. This model is $200 less than the 16gb Touch, has twice the storage, and an inch bigger screen, give or take.

Have you found compatibility to be an issue with your Archos? One of the things I was looking for in the Touch was the "just works" factor of using it with iTunes.

Archos sure doesn't make electronics as sexy looking as Apple does, though. :)

I'd be all over that thing if it used flash memory. No more hard drive based media players for me.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I was actually going to post about the iRadio client today. It's working beautifully for me aside from the fact that the 'player' and 'settings' buttons don't do anything and the volume is a little weird, which are all common complaints from what I can tell.

The station will take a second to tune in and will be completely muted at first. What I do is fire up iRadio, then hit the home button and play an mp3 from the touch, double click the home button and crank the volume then pause the mp3. Then start iRadio and the volume should be ready to adjust with the double click home button adjuster.

Also I'm sure most people (especially shoutcast veterans) know this but, the three columns in iRadio after the station name are Bitrate, Number of users tuned in, and in the last column M = mp3, A = aac

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
It may just be that the summerboard theme you put on doesn't change the icons all that much and doesn't come packed with any wallpaper. It may be hard to notice everything change if that's the case.

Try to find the NEONstandard, Aqwoah, or the Litho themes to put on there, you'll see a difference if it's working for sure with those.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
The Summerboard themes I mentioned before (my 3 favorite so far) oh and I have wallpaper turned off.

Aqwhoa

Litho

NEONstandard

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a screenshot of my battery charging/slide to unlock screen. The ScreenShot app I have won't do it as far as I can tell.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Plus you have to be careful when you enter the server address that the touch doesn't automatically 'correct' ride4 to riders. That happened to me the first few times I tried to enter it, you have to hit the little blue 'x' next to the autocomplete.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Finally got a screenshot of my battery charge/slide to unlock screen

:dance:

I love this thing.

Here's the method I used to get it in case anyone else is intersted:

quote:

Download: http://rapidshare.com/files/80236236/screenshot

Next, SFTP to your iPod Touch and place the file into /Applications/.

This tool can only be ran via an SSH to your iPod. So, open an SSH client such as Putty and run a CHMOD to correct the permissions:

chmod -R a+x /Applications/*

Lastly, run the command in SSH:

/Applications/screenshot

Go retrieve the file at the location it specified on your iPod when it executed.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Justin posted:

Its such a pain in the rear end to add artwork for artists that aren't even on itunes.

I found a great, insanely fast way to add non-itunes-available cover art to my itunes library this week and I've now done 3300+ folders in 2 days with the new method, it's awesome. It takes a while to explain but it's very fast and easy in practice, bear with me here, it's worth it. (ps don't add art to the folders in your ipod, get them situated in your itunes library first, then add the whole album to your ipod, it takes much longer to write the new tags if you make the changes directly to your ipod.)

Have itunes open and a browser window open in your taskbar. In the browser have an amazon music tab and a google image search tab (the google tab is my backup source, amazon and 'user submitted' scans rule for the most part). When you want to add art to an album not on itunes, highlight all the songs in the album by clicking the first song then *hold shift and right-click the last song in the album*

Selecting the songs this way will simultaneously highlight all the songs in the album and bring up the right-click context menu for the entire selection. Pick 'get info' and notice the little square box for adding artwork in the info window that popped up, this is where you'll drag the picture to in a second.

This is the best part, not sure if this is common knowledge but it shocked the poo poo out of me that it works. You don't have to save the image to you computer when you find the one you want to use, just find a nice large album cover (in the amazon 'music download' section for example, they all seem to be 500 x 500 sized, perfect for coverflow) Now, just drag the image right from it's amazon window down to the itunes button on the taskbar, it will automatically bring itunes into focus. Don't let go of the left mouse button yet, continue dragging the album cover right into the add artwork box and hit 'ok' That's it.

In the future if you want to save that picture to your hard drive for any reason, just play a song from the album in the itunes music player with itunes not maximized and the desktop right behind it, you can now drag the image right off the bottom left hand corner of itunes and it will copy itself in .bmp format to your desktop. I imagine you could probably drag it right to the album's folder but I have only tried bringing it to the desktop so far.

This drag and drop art adding method won't work from every website (art on Discogs for example doesn't work like this for some reason) but it does work on all Amazon images and I've never seen it fail with Google image search either.

Finally, a great non-album art, but coverflow related item: If you have a ton of folders in your itunes music library it can be time consuming to find something all the way on the other end of coverflow if all you're doing is dragging the slider back and forth (it's cumbersome and a bit laggy honestly if you have an entire shitload of folders in there) However, click an album cover in the library coverflow to bring it to the foreground of focus, then just type in the first few letters of the artist and it will jump right to the beginning of their folders. This also works if itunes coverflow is in full screen mode (my new favorite way to play music.)

edit: from apple / ipod hater to complete itunes fanatic in 2 weeks flat. I haven't opened winamp since christmas and don't see any reason to any time soon aside from FLAC/bitperfect playback, of course.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 10, 2008

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

VibrioCholera posted:

I've talked with people and the like and they say 16GB is pretty small, but I don't know if I'd really run out of this? I can't even think if my collection has 2,000 songs.

I had a 30gb ipod before my touch and a 30gb zen before that, and I had both of them jam-packed. I never listened to %80 of the stuff on either. All the scenarios I envisioned where it would have been great to have some album never happened and I just listened to my favorite 30 or so albums all the time.

I got the 8gb touch for christmas and I think even that's plenty. I just checked and I've got 62 albums, 2 movies, and 6 episodes of Clone High on there. 8hrs a day of music is no problem for me with that selection. 16gb is more than enough if you ask me.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 17, 2008

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

VibrioCholera posted:

Is the battery life on this thing human or will it die quickly?

I think it's great. I listen to it all day at work and surf/watch video/etc all night after work, and the battery never gets below %18 or so before I throw it on the charger for the night.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
For the jailbroken folks, there are 3 great wallpaper mega-packs in the 'Apogee LTD Designs' section under installer. If you don't have the source address it's: http://apogeeltd.com

I think there's around 150 wallpapers total, lots of them are seriously great.

The installer will ask to put the wallpapers in a seperate folder but don't worry, I just said yes to everything and it worked great on mine and two of my housemates' touches.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
^ That happened to my dad too. Turns out he hadn't installed itunes yet. If you've already installed it try a reinstall.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
My dad accidentally upgraded his 1.1.2 jailbroken ipod to whatever the newest apple firmware is. Can I jailbreak it again?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
^ Can I do that if I'm currently on jailbroken 1.1.2?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
^ It's possible the hub wasn't providing the full voltage of an actual USB port.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

CanuckBassist posted:

An iPod is "assigned" to a computer, and it can only sync with that computer. If she wants to put new stuff on there through her macbook, she'll have to assign the iPod to sync with her own computer, which would erase everything already on the iPod.

Not really. This is only true if you want the ipod to sync a folder's contents. Most people prefer to drag and drop.

If you choose "Manually Manage Files On This Ipod" in itunes, you can drag and drop files from any folder on your PC, or from your itunes library to her ipod, and as long as she has the same setting active on her itunes she can add and delete tracks manually on her computer as well.

With just that setting enabled, the ipod can be a completely drag and drop device.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 26, 2008

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I make 'on the go' playlists all the time and I've always manually managed files, is there a sync only playlist feature I'm missing out on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I have a first gen touch I want to sell to someone at my job and I'd like to restore it to factory settings first.

The last time I updated the firmware on it everything seemed to slow down, switching from portrait to landscape lags like crazy now etc, is there is a preferred firmware for the first gen? Can I just install the latest version and have it run smoothly again?

• Locked thread