Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moms pubis posted:

It's literally a pocket computer and is capable of doing 95% of what your PC can do.

I love my ipod touch too, but come on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just upgraded from a 2nd gen Touch to a 5th gen and I'm having a problem I never experienced before. I like to manually manage my music, and now sometimes when I drag and drop new files through iTunes or delete songs off my iPod or try to make certain tag changes, it hangs on "updating files" and either takes a really long time to make the changes or it doesn't happen at all. Mind you this doesn't always happen, sometimes it goes through right away, but I'd say about half time time I try to make a change, it gets stuck.

This never happened with my 2nd gen, file transfers and tag changes were always instantaneous. Am I doing something wrong?

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 10, 2012

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why would certain artists/albums not appear under artist view? I'm using a 5th gen touch.

For example, when I navigate to Music > Artists > Gucci Mane, all of his albums appear except one, even though the album is definitely on my iPod and does appear in album view. Similarly, UGK doesn't appear under artists at all, even though all three albums I have for them appear in album view.

Everything appears to be tagged correctly.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WoG posted:

You're sure they don't have a different 'album artist' or anything set?

Here are the tags

Here is the sorting info

Here is my ipod

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mooktastical posted:

Assuming the tracks aren't set as a compilation, here's how I fix that problem.

Drop everything into a playlist, and then delete everything in the artist, album, sort artist, and sort album fields. Hit ok. Go back into info, rewrite the info, and hit ok again. I have no idea why it works (iTunes is black magic)

This actually worked for me, and then I deleted the playlist and UGK disappeared from the artist list again, so I re-did the whole playlist process several times and it didn't work at all.

What the gently caress? Why is this so difficult? I paid the largest company in America $400 for this device and they can't figure out how to make all my music appear the way it's supposed to?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lazlo Nibble posted:

In my experience, once the internal music database gets screwed up, it stays screwed up. When I start getting weird behavior like this—in my case it's usually been disappearing album artwork—the only reliable fix I've found is to delete all my music off the device, go in with iExplorer (or equivalent) and nuke the SQLite DB, reboot it to let it create a new one, then reload all my music again.

When I've had problems like this I've never really figured out what was causing it. Fortunately it's been a few months since that was necessary.

The upside is that since the DB on the device IS a SQLite database, it's relatively easy to go in and poke around to see if anything's obviously hosed first.

I wish I knew what any of this meant :sigh:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Actually when going back and reading it that description may not have helped much.

No, I think I got it, thanks for the explanation. I'll give it a shot.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I apologize if these questions are stupid as hell but combing through the internet for answers is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I made the mistake of letting my girlfriend borrow my iPod touch and she upgraded the software on it so now it forces me to use iTunes 11. I was using 10 previously and manually managing my music, where I could easily just drag and drop individual songs. Now in iTunes 11 I just can't figure out how to get that same functionality. I have 'manually manage music and videos' checked, but when I click 'Music' under my iPod in the sidebar and try to drag & drop files there it won't allow me to (there's the little red circle with the slash through it). I'm sure it's something incredibly obvious, but I'm too dumb to figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated

edit: nevermind, think I figured it out, just some syncing issue. Now the latest thing driving me insane is how any time you click out of your music and then click back into it, it automatically resets to the top of the list instead of keeping your place like the previous version of iTunes did. God damnit

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 26, 2014

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My iPod Touch 5th gen erased my nearly 60gb of music and I have no idea how or why. I was manually adding some tracks through iTunes this afternoon and when I went to edit the metadata for one of them it was all greyed out and un-editable. Tried to edit a different track and same thing. I thought huh, oh well, I'll do it later. So I go to work and try to play music and it says I have no content available to play. I start freaking out but think, ok, there has to be some sort of mistake. Except when I went to my settings it said I had 55gb of 57gb available, which means it has in fact all been erased.

Stupidly I updated to the latest firmware hoping against hope this would fix the problem, and now about 19gb of music is appearing on my iPod, but it's all unplayable. If I try to play a song, it just immediately cycles to the next song, which immediately cycles to the next song, and on and on. I just got home and plugged in my iPod and for a brief moment, iTunes showed my entire old library as still being on my iPod, but then it finished applying updates and it showed the new reduced library (19gb/2400 songs). So effectively all of my music has been erased from the device, but I still have an unplayable list of about 33% of it.

I manually managed everything, so I don't have a backup of all my music stored on my hard drive or the cloud. I know that I am basically hosed in that regard. But my question is whether there's any way to at least retrieve a list of all the music I had on my iPod, so I can at least use it as a reference to start restoring everything. I realize the answer is most likely no, but if there's any chance at all, even if it means breaking open the device with a hammer, I'd like to know. Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I suppose I should have clarified - does anyone have a solution that doesn't require a time machine for me to implement?

I'm aware what I did was unorthodox, but now it is what it is. Thanks.

• Locked thread