Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I am bummed about the rear camera sucking. I wanted a device to replace my 6-year old MP3 player, MIA Flip, and cover up how terrible the Droid camera is for basic snapshots. Sounds like it will do two of these things quite well, but I for some reason had my hopes up for an end-all-be-all device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I tried my co-worker's new one out for a minute today and man that camera sucks for stills. Since it was one of the big reasons I was going to get one (until I noticed it wasn't getting the iPhone 4 still sensor), I'm glad I passed.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Just picked up the new iPod touch, mostly for development purposes. It's pretty great. Some observations:

- Screen looks great, new resolution is fine.
- Those colors look even worse in real life than they do on the site. Bad cotton candy, salmon, and I don't even know what shade of green. Black/grey/white look good though, and the red one is fine.
- The new connector is great because it doesn't matter which way it goes. It's a connector so who cares, but this is the best thing ever.
- It sucks that this still seems to be copying files at USB 2.0 speeds.
- It's a lot of money, no matter which way you look at it.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
For anyone with a 5th gen iPod Touch, how long did the iOS 8 update take to install?
I'm approaching two hours now and am afraid unplugging it will brick it.

Pretty sure it's verified, installed, and restarted, but has been stuck just before the end of the progress bar for quite a while now.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
That sounds more like what I expected. Ah well, it finished after two and a half hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I didn't see this mentioned over the last few pages but it seems to be a well-known issue: I've got the thing where occasionally, maybe once a month or so, syncing my 5th gen iPod touch with iTunes gets stuck on the "waiting for changes to be applied" stage for an inordinately long time. If I have the time to let it run, it will eventually end but it might take 20 minutes, might take two hours. This isn't about it taking a long time to copy a music library; I'm talking about a routine sync where basically nothing has changed except maybe a handful of podcast episodes. If I interrupt it (even with the "x" button and then ejecting, not just unplugging), there's a good chance my library gets corrupted and some/all of my music and podcasts will be unavailable until I let it sync completely and recopy everything. Really annoying, since syncing is often the last thing I do before I intend to step out the door and I don't have time to let it run as long as it decides to.

It's happened with both iOS 7 and 8. I nuked my iTunes library on the PC as best I could, reset the iPod and restored everything from scratch, and that seemed to fix it for a month or two. I'm not doing anything unorthodox with it, no third-party programs to sync music or anything like that. Google turns up a lot of people with the problem across various devices but the only solutions offered are the kind that sound coincidental and don't work for me. Anyone beaten this?

This happens to my 5th gen iPod touch too and has with both iOS 7 and 8, just with iTunes on OSX instead of Windows. It'll take hours to put a single album on mine, so I usually put it off for months and I just factory reset the whole device and re-sync everything.
I have noticed sometimes when I'm trying to sync, it reports there's over 100GB in use. Since it's a 64GB device, I suspect it may be something related to that, but I don't even know.

I pretty much gave up since it looks like you've also noticed like a thousand other people have the same issue.

• Locked thread