Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Want to play ye olde LucasArts adventures on your iPhone? Here's a verbatim copy from the ScummVM forum post (obviously needs Installer.app):

quote:

To install ScummVM on your iPhone or iPod Touch:

* Jailbreak your phone and install Installer.app (Look here for instructions)
* Add http://urbanfanatics.com/scummvm.xml as a source in Installer.app
* Click on Install, find Games in the list, and hit ScummVM. Then click Install. And you're done Smile.

To copy the game data files over to your device:
* Install an SFTP client (For Macs, Cyberduck is good).
* Connect your SFTP client to your iPhone/iPod using the IP address the device shows in its network settings (Hit Settings, then Wi-Fi, then find the network you're connected to)
* Make a subdirectory on your phone under /var/root, and upload the games there (don't place them anywhere else on the phone, as you'll be filling up the smaller system partition then).

For usage and compatability information, look here

Note that this port is currently under development, and may not work correctly. Or at all.
http://forum.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4752

Once you've done that, be sure that you're copying the game files somewhere into /private/var to not clutter up the system partition.

Not sure how it'll drain the battery though. Having tried it a little, I could feel where the ARM processor is located, though.

Talking about that, when's the new Installer.app update due, that hopefully supports local installs into /private/var? I've been moving things there manually, but updates reinstall everything directly into /Applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

phrax posted:

Just had an idea, but I'm not in a position to try it out. Does iTunes run smoothly in a virtualised XP under Vista?
Yes. I had to resort to a Windows VM because loving iTunes hates working with the Touch in 64bit Windows. Tells me something about a 64bit iTunes which isn't available.

Also, does anyone know how to get Safari accept file:/// URLs without throwing a poo poo fit about it, nor installing Apache?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Look what I've ordered!

http://www.dlo.com/products/hshell_touch_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=1196292295164488

Better be as robust as it looks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Where are the replacement screen covers on the DLO site? I seem to be too stupid to dig them up. Where I'm going to use that thing, they're going to become dirty beyond repair in rather short time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm getting a protection shell because I don't want to take any chances. Also, the environment I work in is pretty dusty. I've worn the iPod one day in my pocket without it wrapped in a plastic bag and dust already got in between the glass and the plastic border. The shell and protector would cover that up (I hope).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Kimli posted:

I received my DLO case yesterday. It's pretty cool, but I came down with a massive case of the stupids right before I went to use it and ruined not one but THREE protective films for the front of my 'pod. The case itself looks really snazzy, but I won't be happy until I the new screens I had to order come in.
You had THREE films with the case? Or did you order extra ones?

I've ruined the single one, because trying to reapply it the first two times (loving air bubbles), it caught dust on the adhesive layer. And even if it would have worked, I tried to get the sticker of it, part of it kept stuck on it and would have ruined anyway.

I put the iPod in the case and use it without film. Maybe I find some films around here, I'm not gonna order again overseas.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any of you guys encoded videos for the iPod with tools other than lovely Quicktime?

I'm done experimenting video quality with MEncoder while hammering everything into the profile the iPod supports. I'm hoping for B-frame support in the next gen iPod though.

My video pass options look like this, doing two passes with turbo mode on first pass:

code:
-vf scale=480:-2 -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=640:bframes=0:nocabac:trellis=1:subq=6:me=umh:frameref=2
I'm not even sure if 640kbit is way too high for 480x320 (or less vertical), but since this is a power drain test video, anyway, I'm only going to try lower bitrates later on.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

I was under the impression that Videora was SOP. It works fantastic. You can line up a bunch of videos and it will encode them over night. It's got tons of different selections.
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod-touch/
I'm only using Windows when I need to sync the iPod. I prefer to use *nix tools. Also, I tried Videora, and it's a piece of bloated poo poo. I like the fact that it uses a webbrowser to display most of the interface to spam me with ads.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Vyze posted:

People are doing tons of weird, cool, and gimmicky things, but I don't see why the talented developers aren't spending their time on very useful applications such as that. Sometimes makes me wish I actually had some effort and coding ability. :v:
They're probably waiting for the SDK. I don't think that applications, that are likely going to be shareware or commercial, are going to based on a hack to make them run.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you want to use your iPod for personal finance management, there's actually a decent solution out. Actually, it's a website called Moneytrackin, which doesn't look like Web 2.0 rear end anymore since a recent update, offers a web service API and their creators are also working on an iPhone/iPod application that looks pretty nice and is more powerful than the MobileMoney poo poo. Obviously, you need an account at that site, and things like accounts and periodic transactions have to be setup using the site, the rest can be done on the iPod. A first version of the application's found in Installer.app as iMoneytrackin.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 23, 2007

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

--edit: Oops. Tabbed browsing gone wrong.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 24, 2007

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's a pretty :coal: unit converter on Installer.app now.

What I however still need is a scientific calculator. There's some HP1x calculator emulators, but these things are completely unintuitive in real life, as such the emulators are the same.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A lot of fence sitting will be involved here, I suppose. The UIKit is basically reverse engineered headers to the code libraries, right? The official SDK wouldn't be too different. I wonder how the 3rd party application landscape will look like some time after the SDK has been released.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm using manual media management now. But there still doesn't seem to be a way to hammer wallpapers into the iPod without using synchronisation.

So, anyway, if I leave manual management on and then subsequently activate photo sync seperately, iTunes won't gently caress me over and delete all manually added songs when I hit Sync, right?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

SuperCaptainJ posted:

There is a stable 1.1.3 jailbreak on Installer right now.
That the "1.1.3 Jailbreak DevTeam" one? Do I have to go jailbroken 1.1.2 first with the touch, too?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now that the iPhone SDK key leaked, I sure hope that means Installer.app and most applications will make use of it, not requiring jailbreaks (well, until a key change or whatever).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Question:

Manual media management is nice and all. But trying to add podcasts manually seems to make them go under in a blackhole, I can only see them on the Recently Added list. Pictures and wallpapers cannot be transferred manually at all.

What if I enable automatic sync for Podcasts and Photos only, leaving the music sync alone, would it blow up my music collection if I try to sync?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How much of a battery draining effect does the EQ have?

I was considering to enable it because the low frequency reproduction on the iPod seems to be a bit strange. Songs that have a rather strong bass line on my soundcard with neutral settings and regular headphones sound a little meager on my iPod with in-ear phones, which are supposed to have stronger bass.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's this with SSH draining battery? That's not true. SSH doesn't even run if there aren't any active connections. launchd listens on port 22 and starts SSH when there's activity. SSH closes when there's no more connections.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

kevdude posted:

There's no way that's true. On holiday for the past few days, I've gone through 2 charges of my Touch. When I turned SSH off for the second run, the battery lasted TWICE as long, at least. This is normal movies/music usage, wifi has been off the whole time too.
Then I don't know what I can say.

sshd does NOT run until I'm actually making a connection, and when I close the session, sshd disappears. This is with the package installed as is.

NUDE GENTLEMAN posted:

Did you guys install the SSH from the jailbreak program you used, or from the installer after you installed the BSD subsystem?

Apparently the SSH from the jailbreak is the biggest offender of being a piece of poo poo with battery life and the one you get from the installer doesn't have that issue.
--edit: Well, there's the in-depth explanation to what I'm seeing on my iPod. The SSH from the installer registers with launchd, which is kind of doing the same as inetd on Linux and listens on sockets for applications, so that they're loaded on demand only.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 22, 2008

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mike83 posted:

anyone else spell I P O D instead of saying iPod as a word?
If it were supposed to be spelled that way, it'd be written in all caps.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Does anyone even know if the upgrade fees stack? I'm still at 1.1.1, if I were to upgrade to 2.0.0 for its fee, would the other five apps come with it?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone using in-ear headphones with their iPod? Which ones do you use? Do you also notice a godawful loud noise floor with them?

Until right now I've used some Sony MDR-Whatever. When paused, you can make out a little noise when it's silent. When I've gotten my new laptop, it came with some Creative EP-630 ones. Trying them, there's a considerable noise floor. The difference between the in-ear phones is however that the Sony ones need more power to get to the same subjective volume level, which might explain the lesser noise.

Does the DAC of the iPod introduce all that noise? The only other current testing option I have is the laptop, which is noisy, but I don't think an integrated sound chip on a crammed board like a laptop mobo is a nice reference.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

After I posted this, I actually checked it.

Yes, there is an audible hiss whenever the volume is set to non-zero, and the level of hiss is pretty constant (to my ear) until the volume level goes over about 80% -- then it gets a little louder.
With the Sony MDR, the hiss is barely noticable, considering the power they need to be driven. The Creative in-ear phones I've gotten with the laptop exhibit a terrible noise floor, but also need less power.

I was wondering if this is normal. That Sony cellphone of mine has a way lower noise floor. Which is ironic, since theoretically it's just a lovely cellphone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I bought an used car radio from a friend (Alpine CDE-9850Ri), that has an iPod connector and predates the iPhone/iPod Touch by a year or two. However does my iPod work just fine with the radio. Can I take this as blanket evidence that any other accessory may work (safe complexer things like e.g. Nike+, which carries software)?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seeing how there are various applications drawing on their own and doing sound playback, that there aren't any attempts to port a FFmpeg based media player to the iPhone/iPod to avoid conversion every time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone tried restoring the original firmware after jailbreaking it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking about, but I went from jailbroken 1.1.4 to regular 2.0, and it was completely fine apart from losing my Jailbreak apps and related data. Just make sure you backup and sync before you do the restore and you should be fine.
I mean from jailbroken 2.0 to original 2.0. Asking whether this causes problems for when 2.1 comes.

• Locked thread