Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
:siren:Updated, Finally!:siren:

Old:

(photo shamelessly stolen from original thread)

Since the close of the original iPod Touch thread there has been a need (in my mind anyway) for a new one. Sure, it's very similar to the iPhone, but it is different enough that it deserves its own thread. (No whining, a mod said it's ok)

I'll start things off with some links to relevant threads:
Original iPod Touch Thread (closed)
iPod Megathread v6 (closed)
iPhone Megathread

See the OP of the original touch thread for product specs, etc. I can copy that over to this one if there is a demand for it, but for now I see no reason to clutter it up more than needed.

While any iPod Touch related discussion is appropriate for this thread, I'm going to focus mainly on the hacks and 3rd party apps side of things in this post.

New:
Jailbreaking

I've been out of the loop on this stuff for a while (hell, I was still running 1.1.1 until tonight), but I finally got around to updating both my Touch and this post.

Jailbreaking has come a long way since FW 1.1.1, and is now even easier to do. There are multiple ways to do this, but here's what I did to get it working. Keep in mind I have a 1st gen that was still at the original firmware level.

1. Update iTunes to the latest version

2. Backup your iPod (optional) right click on your iPod in iTunes and chose backup.

3. Boot into DFU mode
Open iTunes and connect your iPod. Hold down both buttons for 10 seconds, then release the top button and keep holding the home button until a message pops up saying the iPod is in recovery mode. During this process the iPod will turn off, and the screen will remain black while in DFU mode. You may also see windows pop up some driver related messages. This is fine.

4. Hold shift (windows) or option (mac) and click the Restore button.

5. Select the firmware you want to install (2.2.1 preferably) and hit OK
If you are above 2.0 you can download the update from Apple. If you are below 2.0, you can buy the update from Apple or spend 5 minutes with google and keep those greedy bastards from getting any more money out of you (remember, iPhone owners got this for free).

6. Close iTunes

7. Download the latest version of Quickpwn
Extract the EXE and run it. Follow the instructions.

8. Once it's all done fire up iTunes again and restore the data (DO NOT DO A FIRMWARE RESTORE).

9. Enjoy!

New Relevant Threads
iPhone(iPod) Games Thread

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I'm giving this a shot now, thanks.

I had to reload a few times before I got a download to start, so here's a direct link to a decent mirror:
http://www.videohelp.com/~pspvideo9/videoraipodconverter_Installer.exe

Animated gifs:
Is there a way to get these to work? It seems like safari animates them on occasion, but not reliably.

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 22, 2007

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

tuna posted:

Customize 1.18 now works on the iTouch. 1.17 also works with a slight hack. This is probably a lot easier to re-arange icons because it has a simple drag and drop interface directly in the ipod.

When you install Customize, it will crash as soon as it opens, all you have to do is open it constantly for about 10-20 times and it will stay open. You only need to do this once.

[edit] Oh, yeah, and I really want THIS.

I'll have to try that out now that it somewhat works. An earlier version of customize messing up all my icons is how I figured out what to edit in N45AP.plist in the first place.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

dmanrevived posted:

When the stand is in use, is the back of the ipod in use? Seems like dust will be a pain. Personally, I don't need a stand, and I find the iClear looks a bit better. I usually stay away from clear cases because they tend to look cheap.

What's that tiny hole in the upper left of the case for. I'm guessing it's for the auto brightness sensor, but the case is clear. :psyduck:

It's probably so they can make non-clear versions of the case without buying a second (very expensive) mold.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
The new landscape mode looks awesome.

I've been trying Advance Wars with each update, and while it keeps getting better, I still haven't gotten it to run completely fluidly.

Is there a recommended setting to smooth things out?

The NES emulator works great, though I think my Dragon Warrior ROM is a hacked version since the first item I found was a dildo.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I just found a bug with the game resume feature:
if you have it enabled and you exit the emulator, the processor keeps going full bore.
it chewed through half my battery while it was in my pocket for an hour.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Wang Commander posted:

I know this is first-revision Apple hardware or whatever but is it a pretty cool device? Thinking about picking one up based on 5 minutes playing with some dude's iPhone at a party (I have a phone already that I like a lot so I dont want an iPhone). Just a general WHAT SAY YOU, AV ARENA kind of post, I guess, but the concept of this device has really charmed me.

I was on the fence on if it was worth it when I first got mine, but ever since I opened it up for third party apps I have loved it.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Lux Aeterna posted:

Hopefully revision 2 hardware will have the 5 things that are kind of irking me now
1- removal of shiny metal back (they did it with first gen nanos)
2- built in speaker
3- up/down buttons on the side (this drives me nuts the most since it has to go out of my pocket every time for simple volume changes)
4- built in mic (VoIP and voice notes would be pretty badass)
5- 32 gigs

I don't mind the shiny back. I just assumed from day 1 that it would be all scuffed in a matter of hours, so I haven't been stressing about keeping it fresh.

3&5 are the most plausible and would be awesome additions.

2&4 would also be great, but I think they would encroach too much into the iPhone's space for Apple's liking.

If the touch were an iPhone without the phone and with more memory it would be just about right.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Lux Aeterna posted:

'Tis the season for lovely knockoff accessories for under :10bux:

just saw this on tuaw and a goon in the iPhone thread got the remote accessory and thought it was pretty good.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/12/05/tuaw-buyers-guide-5-little-iphone-gifts/

the goon who got the remote picked it up at dealextreme.com and I just ordered the same remote and the speaker accessory. It's certainly not the best option, but for 13 bucks including s&h it's worth trying out
Wow, both of these are things I was planning to look for.

What type of remote would work best with the touch? A video or a nano?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

SuperCaptainJ posted:

Holy crap -- know that application "MobileScrobbler" on installer.app that lets you scrobble your songs on the ipod touch? Well it uh, does something else now too -- you can listen to last.fm with it

Edit: In other news, a working Playstation emulator is about to be released for iPhone/iPod touch by the makers of gpsphone.

Hopefully it won't kill the battery in 2 hours like gpsphone does (though the ability to play Advance Wars on the touch is awesome). If I could touch the screen to direct troops rather than use the d-pad it would be perfect.

They did finally make a version of it that allows for easy game snapshot/restore.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
This may be a dumb question, but if I go to music->songs->shuffle to randomly play everything on my iPod, and then while a song is playing I look at the tracks on that album and play one, how do I put total-library shuffle back on without going all the way back to the songs screen? If I turn shuffle back on it just shuffles the album.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I'm at the Philly airport, and for all its shortcomings, it does have free wifi. Bringing the touch along for a short trip is so much easier than dragging around my laptop. I doubt I will travel with my laptop anymore unless I plan to use it for more than entertainment.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Updated the OP with a better explanation of Installer and Kalibar's 3G via Wifi post.

What else do you guys want added to it?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Christoff posted:

So where is the best place to buy a 16 gb touch? Amazon has a decent deal as usual. But I bought my original ipod at best buy with the 3 year service plan and used it twice. Worth it? What's the applecare plan like?

I found a good deal here.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/ipod/default~family~12.asp

Do get the applecare plan do you have to buy it from apple?

I got mine for $250 off a guy on craigslist. There was definitely something shady about him (his post claimed he got it as a present, threw out the box, and didn't have a receipt to return it, but would rather buy an iPhone. Then I saw an almost identical post a week later, only it had the box.), but it was still in the plastic, had never been activated, and had all the accessories (except the cleaning cloth).

I made sure to meet him somewhere rather than have him know where I lived, but it all worked out in the end.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Disappointing Pie posted:

How well does the GBA system work?

It depends on the game. Anything turn based is your best bet (I've been playing a lot of Advance Wars on it), and the sound can be choppy, so I usually don't bother with headphones.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Does anyone have a good guide for how to Jailbreak 1.1.2? I'd like to add one to the OP for all the people who got a touch for Christmas with 1.1.2 already on it.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Haha that'll teach me to not check my own thread.

Thanks!

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Squirrel007 posted:

This is kind of related to the ipod but im just hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
How might I go about setting up a proxy server on my webhost or from home that I could use with my ipod at a remote location(namely school so I can get past filters...)?

I have tried a couple of things but those haven't really helped much.

I haven't found a great one yet, but PHProxy and CGIProxy (don't remember the link) work for most stuff.

I haven't found a single one that youtube works with, but I also haven't looked in a while.

Also, watch how you word things. I believe it's against the rules in some forums, and maybe on all of SA, to ask how to bypass filters for work or school.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
You zoom just like you do in Safari or on pictures, pulling two fingers apart.

And I am now searching for my doom disk as well.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
What does the log file look like?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Luk3 posted:

Here is a sample. I can get proper G-Force readings from it, but from there I just can't seem to get acurate numbers. I calibrate the Y readings by subtracting .031250 from all cells.

The last test I did I drove up to 40km/hr and then stopped. The excel sheet came out with a top speed of 7km/hr

code:
Time            X               Y                Z
08:43:23:439	0.015625	0.015625	-0.460938
08:43:23:487	0.000000	0.031250	-0.460938
08:43:23:531	0.000000	0.031250	-0.460938
08:43:23:582	-0.007812	0.023438	-0.460938
08:43:23:624	-0.007812	0.023438	-0.460938
08:43:23:667	-0.007812	0.015625	-0.437500
08:43:23:816	0.000000	0.031250	-0.453125
08:43:23:904	-0.015625	0.031250	-0.460938
08:43:23:938	-0.015625	0.031250	-0.460938
08:43:23:974	-0.023438	0.023438	-0.445312
08:43:24:045	-0.023438	0.023438	-0.445312
08:43:24:079	-0.007812	0.031250	-0.445312
08:43:24:156	-0.007812	0.031250	-0.445312
08:43:24:191	-0.007812	0.031250	-0.445312
08:43:24:267	-0.015625	0.031250	-0.453125
08:43:24:327	-0.015625	0.031250	-0.453125
I learned that the accelerometer goes from -2 to 2 G's and the number being printed here is a percentage of that. I have formated the output to look like this.

As I was typing out the equation here that I'm using I realised that I was dividing somewhere I should be multiplying (the output from the file * 2).

I will post the excel file when I get it cleaned up.

It looks like the Z needs some calibration too (I would think -0.5 would represent gravity on a -2 to 2G scale), but that wouldn't effect you since you're only interested in (probably) one dimension.

How is this oriented? Is X from bumper to bumper and Y door to door, or is it the other way around?

Assuming X is the value you're interested in, I think you would need to do something like this:
code:
Speed[n]=Speed[n-1]+(2*X[n]*9.8(m/s^2)*(Time[n+1]-Time[n]))
Or basically, new speed = old speed + acceleration*duration_of_acceleration

You may have left off the addition so the 7m/s is just how much speed you picked up in your last reading.

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 10, 2008

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

MrMartyn posted:

- Showing your location on maps is a great feature and seems to be very accurate

It knows where you are on the map? How?
Did I misunderstand this?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
For those of you going to 1.1.3, if you use the mail app for gmail, you may want to read this:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86615

Basically, 1.1.3 will switch gmail from POP to IMAP, so be careful what you delete on the touch, as it will delete from gmail as well (there are instructions to change that in the link).

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
The only time I came close to completely killing the battery was when I spent all day ssh'ed into the touch without in being hooked up to a charging cable. I was down to <10% on that one.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
What's a good application to automatically scan your music directory and update the iTunes library? I have a lot of music that I am re-organizing and having to manually remove and add each thing in iTunes sucks.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Christoff posted:

So no one has really mentioned whether you should get a touch now or in a little bit. And also they may reimburse you if you buy one that doesn't come preloaded with the apps? From what I understand you can only get one preloaded with apps from apple for now.

I mean, is there any benefit to jailbreaking? Is there anything else you can do besides those 5 apps? And even then I'm sure someone will jailbreak the new patch and apps.

I can't answer the first part, but Jailbreaking allows you to install many (hundreds?) of third party applications. Well worth it in my opinion.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Squirrel007 posted:

For you fans of iPhysics my level pack is on the repository now. Please check it out, it is called "LightStreaks-1" My goal of this was to make you think about getting the ball to the box in different ways and also to make beautiful levels instead of boring, lovely looking mspaint ones. I will definitely be continuing this series and the new maps will be more elegant and challenging.

You will find that the levels of this first installment get increasingly better as they progress. Expect the next pack to be on par with the second image I have posted for every level.

Cool, where is it in the repository??
You have to add http://iphone.r4m0n.net/repos to the sources and the category iPhysics will appear.

Cool levels

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 20, 2008

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I've never found one of those that works perfect. It's mostly due to FCC regulations and such. My car has a tape deck so I just use one of the old cassette adapters and it works great.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I briefly read the more info page for the 1.1.3 soft upgrade, and since it looks like the hack is applied by upgrading in a different manner, is it possible to do the upgrade without losing all your apps and settings?

In a similar vein, what is the best way to back up a touch before attempting anything that is likely to clear it?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

SuperCaptainJ posted:

This should really be put in the OP, because everyone who is jailbreaking should know this --

:words:

Done

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
That would be so awesome. I'm still using 1.1.1 because I don't want to reinstall and setup everything again.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Would the firmware files be considered :filez:? If not, I'll add links to the OP when I get around to putting together all the 1.1.3 information.

I'll probably clear out the long code sections too since there are now better ways to do that stuff.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Wow, it's been a while since I checked this thread and it sure has grown.

My brother is graduating this weekend, and I'm thinking about getting him a Touch. Where's the best place to buy them currently? I got mine from some dude on craiglist, so other than the apple store, I'm not sure where to look. Is the price pretty much fixed, or is there a decent amount of variation?

On an unrelated note, itunes locked up during a sync the other day, and when I restarted it, it had wiped all of my music and video off of my Touch. :argh:

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 20, 2008

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Hey all, sorry for being so neglectful of this thread. I haven't read the last 1000+ posts, and I also haven't bothered to update the firmware on my 1G past 1.1.1.

I have a couple questions (at least one of which I'm sure has been asked before):

1. Is there a way to update to Appstore capable firmware while retaining the jailbreak?

2. Have any of you had your home button become semi-unresponsive?

The OP is way overdue for an update. Like I said, I've been out of the loop on this for a while, but I'd be happy to update it. What new info do you think should be added?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Why does Apple have to force quicktime down our throats? I wish I could just install iTunes (actually I wish I could get full use of my Touch without iTunes altogether) without QT coming along for the ride.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Updated the OP with the latest jailbreaking instructions.

Please let me know if I messed anything up. I just figured this out in the last hour via some googling, so I may have missed something important. My iPod seems to be working fine and is definitely jailbroken.

I kept getting an error while upgrading my FW, but I think it had something to do with the USB on this computer, as it fucks up a lot.

It worked flawlessly on my laptop.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I've noticed that when I add a folder to iTunes that has a playlist in it, all the songs show up in the format of <Artist> - <Song>.

How do I make it stop doing this without deleting my playlists?

In version 7 you could correct this after they were added by selecting all of them and doing a right click->info, then closing the info window. In version 8 you need to get the info for each song individually to fix this (or open the info for one and keep hitting next).

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

granpa yum posted:

it still needs to be done every reboot afaik, unless there's been an update that isn't on iphone dev or chronic blogs or redsn0w.com.

Does this apply to everything or just the iPhone?

I haven't forced a reboot on my 1G Touch since updating to 2.2.1 and jailbreaking it with Quickpwn, so I can't tell you if it sticks or not right now.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I got home, plugged in my iPod to charge it, and got this from iTunes:
"iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPod...restore this iPod to factory settings."

It worked this morning, and all I've changed since then was adding a couple apps from the app store.

I'd rather not restore if it can be helped. Any suggestions?

iTunes! :argh:

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
It works fine with iTunes on my work PC, so I'm going to assume it has something to do with how USB on my home PC fucks up all the time.

• Locked thread