Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notation
Aug 11, 2004
Anyone have any personal recommendations for an iPod dock? I'm looking for something simple and stylish and cheap, with at least audio out. The official dock seems way too pricey, but if it's worth getting I'll consider it.

I've had my Touch for a month now, and I'm still amazed by it. I'm usually tired of new gadgets after the first week or two, but I'm still blown away by how great this thing is. It's seriously the best gadget to come into my life since getting a computer. It makes me wonder how amazing the iPods of my kid's generation will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notation
Aug 11, 2004
Is there any way to get calendar and contacts data off the ipod and onto my computer? There's a lot of data that I'd hate to lose through future jailbreaking/restoring, and I want to pull all of it off and into Outlook or Thunderbird or whatever. Is there any way to do this?

EDIT - Nevermind, I didn't see the sync contacts option in the info tab.

notation fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 21, 2008

notation
Aug 11, 2004

turbo sex bat 4000 posted:

Can you disable the accelerometer or somehow force it to stay on the now playing screen? I hate having to turn the drat thing when I pull it out of my pocket to change songs

You could always double-tap the home button to bring up the music controls (assuming your Touch is locked when in your pocket).

I was listening to music the other day, and while on the "Now Playing" screen I double tapped the home button. Instead of pulling up a set of music controls, it took me to an iPhone menu. I know that there are no phone parts in the Touch, but my heart still skipped a beat.

notation
Aug 11, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

What's the easiest way to get your iTunes Library in order?

I have a few thousand songs that I have collected over the years. Mostly from stupid "Greatest Hits" bargain bins and stuff. So they still are labeled as such. I want them from their original CD's not the Greatest Hits stuff. I would like to easily find album art, and all the pertinent info for the song.

Anyone know of any programs that can help or is it pretty much a hunt and type via the web type of experience?

http://musicbrainz.org/

This program helps out a lot if you have at least a filename that describes the artist or song. It'll search it's database for songs with the same length, artist, song title and then automatically tag the song. I usually have a 80% success rate with finding tag info for my songs.

http://www.fixtunes.com/

I haven't used this one, but it does album art too, so you might want to check that out.

notation
Aug 11, 2004
I've upgraded my Touch to 2.0 and have spent the past hour trying out apps. The store is nicer than Installer, but the selection of free apps isn't too amazing. Some free app standouts:

Remote - Wirelessly control your iTunes.

Pandora - Online radio. My only gripe is that you can't run it in the background, so you can't do anything else while listening to Pandora.

Box Office - Look up movie times for your area. Very simple, but immensely useful. It also lists RottenTomatoes scores for each movie.

Cube Runner - Really simple but addictive game. Think of that 2D cave scroller game, except in 3D. You tilt the iPod to dodge incoming blocks.

The NY Times - Let's you read the NYTimes in a simple layout. It does have banner ads that take up a bit of screen space though.

As for the paid apps, the only ones that I've bought are both games.

Super Monkey Ball - This game looks fantastic. I'm really surprised by how great and crisp the graphics look on the iPod. The tried and true addictive gameplay is well suited for bouts of wasting time on your iPod. The controls take some getting used to; I'm not as good at the game as I would be with analog sticks. Tapping the screen to pause also doesn't seem to work for me.

Bubble Bash - It's a Bust-A-Move clone. I love BAM so I had to get this. The tropical-themed graphics are nice and colorful, albeit cheesy. The controls are great though. You use a slider at the bottom of the screen to aim, and release to shoot.

• Locked thread