Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jackpot posted:

I work at a place with no wifi connections. Is there a way to have my ipod connected to the internet while it's plugged in and charging on my laptop while at work? I mean the computer is online...why can't it seem to use a direct connection like that?
If your laptop has a wifi card you might be able to create a wifi hotspot for your ipod to connect with. Try http://tnerd.com/2007/07/25/how-to-convert-laptop-wireless-wifi-hotspot/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mex posted:

This is probably going to sound super dumb, but I've never been interested in the ipod Touch.

However, I bought an iPad and I love it, and I'm wondering what exactly does the iPod touch do? I mean, what would I need one for, or what can I do with it? Is it like an iPhone, but without a phone?
Yes. It's similar to an iphone without the phone part. A little thinner and lighter than an iphone too, but with a not-quite-as-good camera and a little less screen viewing angle.

Or you could look at it as a smaller, more portable ipad. With the same CPU and a higher pixel density. And a camera that can also record HD video. And a front-facing camera for FaceTime video calls over wifi.

You could use it to run most or all of your ipad apps, and you can carry it in your pocket.

You probably don't need an ipod touch. Few people do (there are exceptions, my dad used one when he couldn't speak). But a lot of people want one.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don't think the Touch has a real microphone either, or did that change with the 4th gen?
It has an HD camera so I think it'd need a microphone to record the audio too, no? Or can you only make silent films :)

Apple says it has a mic http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Mojangles posted:

Well, poo poo. Icons for apps started turning up blank (I have absolutely no idea why), so I reinstalled a few and I lost a lot of progress. :(
Anyone know of the best way to fix this poo poo without losing stuff?

Which device? What OS version? Jailbroken? If so, which method? What's the most recent thing you installed before the white icons showed up? What non-default repos do you have added to Cydia?

I assume you've already resprung and rebooted.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Mojangles posted:

iPod touch 4g, non-jailbroken, latest version(4.2.1), have tried rebooting. What does resprung mean? :boon:
Respring means restart springboard, which you can only do if jailbroken I think. And your answers are such that I can't help you, sorry. My experience with the white icon thing is jailbroken, and my fix (a icon cache clearing utility) is also only for jailbroken devices.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

the aftermath posted:

Ok, so what's the latest and greatest way to jailbreak an iPod Touch 4th gen? I just bought one yesterday.
Jailbreakmatrix.com but I'd wait a bit since the current jb is tethered, unless you don't care about that. Also there's a jailbreak thread. It's on the first page of this subforum.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ninja Toast! posted:

I dont know for sure that they can but it does seem that way.
Only if they're doing something like playing music or GPS. The iPhone API has a limited number of things that can go on in the background. One of our resident devs posted a list, I think it was play music, GPS (and maybe one other thing?)

If you see a game or something that doesn't use gps or play music in your task bar thing (that you see by double-clicking home) it's either freeze dried or just there as a "recent apps" list and is not using extra CPU.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ninja Toast! posted:

Ok, I just got the Amazing Slow Downer app (slows down songs on your ipod without changing pitch, good for learning to play them on guitar/bass/drums/whathaveyou) and it seems to use battery even when just in the background. Now I guess it falls into the music category, but if its not actively playing music (stop/paused) I can hear would it still drain the battery?
It shouldn't but that doesn't mean it doesn't. If you're having battery life issues try removing it and see if it helps.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
No, yes, yes, yes, yes but be sure to click "transfer purchases" in iTunes before syncing, and no but if it gets "buggy" from jailbreaking or if you mess it up somehow you can use iTunes to restore (instead of sync) to make your idevice like it was at first, then sync all your apps and stuff back to it again. It's sort of like formatting and reinstalling windows, but faster. I've never had to do this.

You don't have to ever sync, but if you don't and you lose/break your idevice you can't re-download the music you've bought without paying again. Apps and games, on the other hand, you can re-download for free forever (unless the app gets pulled from the app store for some reason.). Not sure about podcasts that you paid for. But just sync, it doesn't take long and it's a handy backup and faster than re-downloading everything.

randyest fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 8, 2011

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Precambrian Rabbit posted:

I recently purchased and jailbroke an iPod touch 4G.

After jailbreaking it, I tried to download various podcasts and other things from the iTunes store, only to be told that "xxxxx cannot be played on this iPod" for every single thing I tried to download.

The OS is 4.1 and I jailbroke it with limera1n.

Any help fixing this is greatly appreciated.
Did you install appsync or installous?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Walrusmaster posted:

I don't know of any cases that will still let it fit in a dock (I have an iphone 4 dock I'm using with my iPod touch)
You can get a dock with a longer plug thingy that will work with a lot of cases.

Goon DoucheBag McGee sells one for $16 and his thread is here if you want to ask about compatibility with specific cases.

I have that one and it works with his bumpers and the official iphone bumpers on an iphone4. I think a touch would be similar (i.e., any case up to about 1/8" thick at the connector should be OK.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've heard senuti works well but there are a bunch of programs that do it

http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&o...b2df7f8ff10eaf9

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hughmoris posted:

Yes I saw that but from what I understand, if you have a touch then you have to have iTunes installed. I'm just worried that if I install iTunes and plug the touch in, it will automatically start syncing and I'll lose all the songs.

*The PC is running XP. I downloaded sharepod but it requires iTunes to be installed.
You can cancel the sync by swiping immediately if it starts.

edit: \/\/ Thanks for those tips!

randyest fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 10, 2011

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Just noticed that Woot has refurb 8GB 4th gen ipod touch for $189 + $5 shipping. Thats about $35 off a new one. Not bad if you're looking to save a few bucks, but it's 90 day woot warranty.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Horseticuffs posted:

Thanks for the heads up, perhaps when people refer to that they are using a jailbroken device then.
You don't have to close apps. The OS will manage memory and cpu for you just fine. Not all of the apps in the double-tap home thing are actually running. Most aren't, so its more like a recent apps list.

If you're jail broken, you can use an app called backgrounder to override iOS app/memory management. You can also use sbsettings to see a process list and kill processes.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tshirt Ninja posted:

No luck.
Just leave it plugged in longer (to a wall outlet, not USB port, if you can.) When I let my iPhone battery go dead for a while it took almost a half hour to turn on and start charging.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I don't have a wall charger but I'll leave it on the USB. I seem to remember my last iPod Touch at least showing an empty battery picture upon connection even when drained beyond use. Does that not happen with the 4G?
It does but if it's been uncharged for a while it can take a long time for that to come on.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tapedump posted:

I've just ordered a 4th gen IPT from Amazon.com. What version of iOS should I expect to find on it, and although I'm going to spend the afternoon researching it, is there a consensus as to the best way to jailbreak it?

(My other two devices are 1st gen; I'm out of the loop.)

Probably 4.2, which can be easily jailbroken with greenpois0n.

See:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3324735
http://jailbreakmatrix.com

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Skrewd posted:

I purchased an app earlier when I was at work, and go home to upload it onto my IPT when I find out that the app only works on OS 4.0. The problem? I'm still using my 1st gen from years ago without a problem. What is the best solution to this? Would jailbreaking work at all?

(If you're wondering, it was the MLB AtBat 2011 app. Yes, I love the baseball.)
Email iTunes support and they'll give you a refund.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Superhaus posted:

Would that wipe my ipod? What about the apps that I downloaded?
You can re-download purchased apps for free. Music is one download only.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Goon Douchebag McGee sells really nice and cheap screen protectors. I assume the iphone4 front ($5) is the same as the touch? Check out his SA mart thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3325798

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Look into ReadItLater and/or InstaPaper and you can save things to read later from any source.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flame112 posted:

I'm looking for a way to transfer my music from my iPod touch to my new hard drive. The old one hard drive failed and was replaced. I authorized my account on the newly installed iTunes and told it to transfer the stuff from my iPod and it transferred like 4 songs, which are all free ones from the iTunes store. When I tried to sync the rest it told me it was unauthorized despite the fact that I've only used one iTunes account. The rest of the songs also aren't stuff from the iTunes store so they shouldn't be associated with an account?

Is there any kind of software that will let me get my songs back onto my computer?

There are many but I hear sentui is best http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
You can select each idevice separately in iTunes and choose which apps get synced to each one.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
You can turn off autosync if you're worried, though it's easy to stop before anything gets transferred if it does start. And in my case (usual case?) app syncing was off by default, so I had to click the apps tab, check the box, then choose which apps to sync, then click Apply to start syncing.

Oh, and do "transfer purchases" in iTunes first, after you plug in the device.

randyest fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 22, 2011

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Apple says to fully cycle the battery once a month. Run it down to 0, then charge fully to 100. In my experience with my IPhone that resyncs the battery meter. Can't hurt anyway.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Javid posted:

I love my Touch 4. Actually chopped an iPhone case + back battery cover to make a ghetto case for the thing, since it's almost TOO thin to be comfortable, sometimes. It's worth noting that not only is the ipod thinner, it's a little bit shorter top-to-bottom than an iphone, so you can't just stuff it in a phone case to make it bigger.
Don't they make cases for the touch? Please post pics of your mcguyver case.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Javid posted:

They do, but they're all ipod shaped, and an iphone was actually easier for me to hold.

It's fairly ugly, but was cheap enough to consider a prototype and toss if I decide I need to redo it better.
It is ugly, but I'm impressed you got it to stay on. Did you stuff it with something else besides the touch?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MasterBuilder posted:

So my headphone jack has gone flaky on me (vocals really quiet and warble in bass when in stereo, mediocre quality in mono). Does anyone have a suggestion for a iPod connector to 3.5" adapter besides the griffin navigate or should I bite the bullet and get it repaired?
Check for dust/lint in your headphone plug. Compressed air and/or a small paperclip can often fix it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MasterBuilder posted:

I had previously used Isopropanol and a qtip to clean the jack out a year ago when i was only getting the left channel but that didn't help this time. Am I aiming for anything specfic with the paper clip ? The 3pins look fine but the 2 copper pieces Are black in the middle.
I'm not really sure; I just pulled some lint out of my old 3gs with a paperclip to fix that same problem. I haven't had to do it to my 4 or 4s, and the copper parts in those are, well, copper colored. Maybe some dirt or soot or something on the contacts? I'd think alcohol on a q-tip would clean that up. Do you work in a coal mine? ;)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

wa27 posted:

This seems like a dumb question but how do I mute an ipod touch? I turned the volume all the way down but some sound effects seems to be unaffected. for example, the twitter app still makes a noise when I refresh. There has to be a way to completely mute the internal speaker completely without having to plug headphones in...
Pause?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Huh. There is no ringer and alerts slider or change with button toggle on a 3rd gen iPod. Maybe they only put it on the newer ones because of FaceTime?
I wasn't being jokey when I mentioned "pause." Why would you want music playing with no volume? If you're going to dig through the menus or sliders or whatever why not just pause? I'm honestly confused; I must be missing something.

edit: Oh, sorry, I see -- he wants to must not just music, but mute everything. I don't have a touch but that's easy enough on an iPhone. Is it different?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Arcsech posted:

I would love to use it as something to watch Netflix etc. on, but Netflix, Air Video, and pretty much everything like it require iOS 4 or higher, as do most games now. Pandora works, as do most streaming audio things though. Ah well, fancy MP3 player I guess.

Try whited00r.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Try using something like iFunBox or iPhone explorer to manually pull off the pictures.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

stratdax posted:

Thank you very much! I tried searching for programs like iFunBox but couldn't find any. Evidently, I suck, because it's perfect.
:tipshat: nah you don't suck it's not an easy thing to google for. Wanna share a few of those rescued pics to liven up this dying thread? ;)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Those are pretty great; thanks for sharing! Looks like an awesome trip. Glad you didn't lose those pics.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dodecalypse posted:

Google hasn't been too helpful, but a few weeks back my ipod 4G (which I've had for a little less than 1.5 years) fell off of my counter top without its protecting case and the screen is pretty cracked. Here's a low quality picture. Yes, I am an idiot but it still works fine. Touchscreen, camera, and all other functions are completely unharmed.

Is there anyway apple will replace the screen? I'm not really able to spend a lot of money on a new ipod or anything and I tend to use it frequently. I'm also heading up to visit my parents this weekend and they live by an Apple store. If I bring it to a store can they replace it there?
They might swap it for a new refurb for a fee. I don't know about iPods, but with an iPhone it's $150 (for a 4) or $200 (for a 4s) to swap out for accidental damage. it definitely can't hurt to ask, and in my experience (pre AppleCare+) the genius folks are fairly likely to take pity on you and swap it for free. Just be nice and honest.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Hmm $100 for a box that will give me free 500MB of "4G" per month? :raise: if its decent fast and not ad-laden somehow that's a better long term deal than paying AT&T for LTE on my new iPad.

I'm skeptical though. Other than the coverage (which looks pretty good around me in Boston) anyone know of any drawbacks?

And when they say the equipment has a "refundable" deposit, does that mean if you send it back they refund or what?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Stew Man Chew posted:

Girlfriend just bought me a new shuffle, and I don't give a poo poo about nor do I really use Apple products.

Is there a go-to way to just put my 2 gigabytes of mp3s on this piece and then forget about it without using iTunes? A lot of my search results turn up weird free/shareware programs and it'd be good to get a goon stamp of approval on one method.
Why not just use iTunes? It's free, works great, and is dead easy (and is 100x better than it was 5 years ago). You can delete it afterwards if it upsets you for some reason. If that's not an option I remember using senuti or sentui or something like that back in the day and it worked ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'm borrowing my roommate's iPod Touch 8GB 2nd gen. I want to put a playlist on it of songs in a certain order, do I need to install iTunes to do this? I don't want to wipe out anything she's got. Bear in mind I'm beginner level in Apple world.
Try http://www.mediamonkey.com/

• Locked thread