Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
This seems to be the iPod Touch homebrew thread more than anything, but I can't think of a better place to ask my question.

Did any of you buy your Touch predominantly to watch movies? Are you happy with it for that function?

I am considering buying one, but I was a little disappointed to see in a demo video that though the Touch in landscape mode is technically wide screen, actually showing wide screen video means not using the whole screen. Also, I read in some Amazon review (so it's obviously not credible, but it makes me wonder) that the screen isn't as crisp as the iPod Nano screen.

I'm wondering if my impressions are wrong.

Also, do you guys know if there's any way to see a live iPod Touch demo, like in Best Buy or something? The nearest Apple store is a bit of a drive for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Vyze posted:

I still say that if you want something just for watching video, an Archos is the way to go. The screen may be crisper on an iPod, but you can get a larger screen for the same price with an Archos - which is why I keep my old one around.

It really is the homebrew that makes the touch stand-out and become more than a fun half-hour gimmick.

The Archos does seem to be the only legitimate alternative to the Touch. This model is $200 less than the 16gb Touch, has twice the storage, and an inch bigger screen, give or take.

Have you found compatibility to be an issue with your Archos? One of the things I was looking for in the Touch was the "just works" factor of using it with iTunes.

Archos sure doesn't make electronics as sexy looking as Apple does, though. :)

edit: VVV I forgot to mention that. It's a pretty huge dissuading factor for me, too. Why carry around anything that goes could potentially be a brick if you drop it from a few feet?

Mortley fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 14, 2007

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Did you guys know Orb works with the iPod touch now? Obviously, movie-sized videos are going to load really slowly, but after the initial download period, the playback is great. I am very impressed with the touch's functionality and with the awesomeness of Orb.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

1karus posted:

Since winamp remote is just a reskinned version of Orb (I think?), will that now work as well?

Hopefully! I haven't heard of Winamp Remote before, and while Orb's functionality is nice, the interface on laptops leaves something to be desired. It's actually nicer on my Wii and touch than on something with a fully functional browser.

After a quick visit to their web site, yeah, Winamp Remote says it's powered by Orb. Thanks for mentioning it, I'll check it out.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

whiskas posted:

There's a database of 23 million wifi hotspots. Based on the hotspots in your area and the signal strength (distance) to them, it can estimate your current location. The more wifi hotspots in your area that are also in this database, the more accurate the locator will be.

It's similar to the technology used on the iphone, except cell phone towers are used instead of hotspots.

That's so loving cool! I can't wait to try this out. That will totally be worth $20. Before anybody berates me for not jailbreaking it, I'd like to point out that having iPhone apps on your touch isn't arguably piracy any more: it is definitely piracy.

• Locked thread