Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

yay ipod touch thread.

I just bought one today with 1.1.2 on it, downgraded it, jailbreaked it, upgraded it, and jailbreaked it again. Took about 30 minutes without any problems. It's stupidly easy to open this thing up.

edit: mail doesn't work with 1.1.2 but notes, weather, and maps do. I haven't tried stocks.

Lux Aeterna fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

dmanrevived posted:

Informative first post!

I'm having so much trouble SFTPing into the iPod. Neither iOrder or WinSCP can get in. I always get connection refused. Then I changed the password to make sure it's right, and it still won't work. The IP is correct for sure, and it's jailbroken for sure since I installed apps on it.

Any ideas?

did you make sure ssh is enabled? iOrder didn't work for me either but i just dumped the file into my touch with winscp and that worked fine.

also for anyone using colloquy... i can't actually see where the text is being entered. its just a black bar with a blinking cursor. it's driving me nuts. I don't know if this is a weird 1.1.2 glitch or just an oversight of the devs. the rest of the program works great... i just cant see the text i type in.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

ogm posted:

Is there a good program yet for converting video for the Touch?

videora iPod converter is freeware and has a bunch of options for tech savvy people and idiots alike. Also I'm posting this from my touch. Landscape keyboard is a beautiful thing too bad Apollo and colloquy don't have it.

Edit: for people with the irc colloquy text box issue, apparently the problem is that the text box image is actually in the mobilesms.app folder. touches don't have that, so that's why the text box doesn't come up.

http://code.google.com/p/mcolloquy/issues/detail?id=18 - here's the support ticket about it. all you have to do is make a MobileSMS.app folder and drag in those png files or just add MobileSMS.app from the iPhone you have in your other pocket.

Lux Aeterna fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 22, 2007

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

polygon_monkey posted:

I finally got my replacement touch from apple (only took 4 weeks) and it came with 1.1.2. Do I need to downgrade to 1.1.1 to Jailbreak?

http://www.crunchgear.com/2007/11/19/help-key-how-to-jailbreak-your-ipod-touch-with-112/

that has the 1.1.2 jailbreak for dummies method, and it's the one I used and was up and running in about 30 minutes. Download one of the 1.1.1 firmwares from the comments since the one in the post itself is actually 1.1. Other than that, you'll have a nice secure 1.1.1 to call your own and since you can't brick your iPod, you're set.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

g-c posted:

So I need to SSH into my ipod to get my music off of it.

I'm using cyberduck and can't seem to find where my music is though. Any tips?

private/var/root/media/iTunes_control/Music and in each of those F## files if you want to grab it that way

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

IzzyNobre posted:

Edit: I decided transfer all my media to my XP desktop would be less work than walk over to Best Buy, and since despite all these problems I still love the damned thing, I'll keep it for now and pray that Apple fixes iTunes.

more like pray that Microsoft fixes Vista ZING

Seriously though, that blows. The amount of joy I get from being able to bring my Touch instead of my laptop to take a poo poo in the morning is just the greatest thing ever. As long as you are okay with an XP box controlling your touch, that's probably the best solution all-around until later on. I mean, it's probably better to have your media on a more stable OS to begin with and on a computer that doesn't get hosed around with as much as your main PC anyway. It might be a bitch in the short term, but just imagine waiting for iTunes and Vista to not suck. It could take months.

I'm just trying to be positive since the touch deserves as much love as possible.

ALSO: this is the best *clear* case for the touch i've seen so far. :20bux: and built in kickstand for horizontal AND landscape viewing. Bonus plastic screen for the front also. I ordered mine 2 days ago so it should be in this week. I'm not the biggest fan of clear cases, but not having to carry that little plastic poo poo stand around just makes me smile

it's the DLO VideoShell

http://dlo.com/products/vshell_touch_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=11960915002412650

iLounge screenshots:

Lux Aeterna fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 26, 2007

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

i liked the case so much i forgot to mention the name whoops

it's the DLO VideoShell

http://dlo.com/products/vshell_touch_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=11960915002412650

doesn't look like it can be used with the dock, but you can plug in the regular cord without needing to take it out. I never use the docks anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

dmanrevived posted:

I ordered a Griffin iClear since I heard -that- is the best one.

I think the only major difference between the two clear cases is the iClear comes with a "premium cleaning cloth" and the VideoShell comes with the built in stand for horizontal and vertical viewing. I don't think there's any difference besides that.

on iLounge, the griffin case was the highest rated (I think it was an A- or something and all the other cases were poo poo), and the DLO case is still under their "first look" category. Hopefully I'll get the case tomorrow and I can post pictures and then tell you all it's the best case ever.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Kimli posted:

I ordered one of these last night too, and was startled by the free shipping. Do you know if it's actually really true and real free shipping? Or one of those "oops, made a mistake, please send us $XX(X??) for shipping" kind of deals?

At any rate, the case looks super spiff and I can't wait until it arrives.

UPS ground was $0.00 for me and it left from NC and will be arriving day after tomorrow for me. I'm pretty sure it's free shipping.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Got my VideoShell today. I love it.

A few observations though:

1. the packaging is nice. None of that heat sealed plastic loving get the scissors and cut off a finger poo poo.

2. The screen cover is awesome. Only took 2 tries to stick it on and it didn't make air bubbles every other centimeter for shits and giggles like the other screen covers do.

3. The plastic case had a bit of manufacturing dust and a little piece of chipped plastic in it. A quick wipe with the touch cloth fixes that right up

4. With the case on the touch is about iPhone thickness and a bit heavier than before. Nothing mind blowing

5. The lip around the front screen is a little higher than I expected, but it just makes hitting space or the safari bookmark buttons slightly harder, but not annoyingly so.

6. The stand quality is pretty good. Plastic is nice and solid and there are only 2 tiny little holes in the back. I mean, I guess dust and dirt could be a problem if you like throwing your iPod around in a sandstorm or you've never cleaned your basement room or whatever, but taking the case apart for a quick wipe takes 30 seconds max.

7. As for holding up the touch in landscape and portrait mode, they really nailed it. It's just solid. It won't fall over.

except for the stand stuff, i'm assuming everything else i said will go for the guy who got the hybrid shell except his will have like 40 little black nipples in the back.

easy 9/10 for me though provided the stand doesn't break.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

paulie walnuts posted:

Is a case really necessary for the touch? If it's durability is anything like the iphone, I honestly don't see the point. I have the DLO VideoShell and I really don't like it at all:

-The buttons lose any tactile feedback, and the case makes the power button really difficult to press.
-The screen protector is a total pain in the rear end to attach correctly
-The inside of the kickstand thing scratched the hell out of the back of my touch.
-The front of the case seems to have been taken directly from their iphone case, as it still has an earpiece hole.

the touch doesn't need a case at all. none of the iPods do provided you don't give a poo poo what happens to the metal on the back. i bet an invisible shield would be all you need.

I usually sell my iPods after I'm done with them, so I'm anal about protecting them.

That sucks about the screen protector and the back of your iPod though. I agree with the buttons, but since I'm never tooling around with it in my pocket I don't care too much about having tactile feedback on a device that goes out of its way to avoid it.

I just popped open my case to look at whether or not anything is getting scratched, but I'm not seeing anything at all. Where are you getting scratches? There are only 2 little holes when the stand is opened up and the sliders look too tiny to cause issues.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Sock posted:

How do I downgrade my Touch with iTunes 7.5? Everywhere I've read it says "Press Option/Shift while in repair mode, and choose the 1.1.1 firmware!" but whenever I do that it automatically chooses 1.1.2

Are there any decent leather cases out yet? Any of them have something like that stand that the DLO does?

it should work just fine with iTunes 7.5. Just hold down shift and click on restore and a browse box should come up. Browse for the 1.1.1 firmware you downloaded and restore with that.

as for leather stand cases, the only one i've been keeping tabs on is this one: http://www.senacases.com/Brands/IPOD-TOUCH-CASES/Premium-Stand-Case-for-iPod-Touch but it doesn't look to be very thin at all and there's no belt clip. The black looks kind of snazzy though.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

deadend posted:

I just purchased my first ipod ever (touch), can anyone recommend some software to convert my avi movies to mp4? I use windows and thus have never needed mp4's before. I've done some searching and most products I come across look like spam.

Thanks in advance.

videora ipod converter just queue a few up overnight and you're set

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Wang Commander posted:

I know this is first-revision Apple hardware or whatever but is it a pretty cool device? Thinking about picking one up based on 5 minutes playing with some dude's iPhone at a party (I have a phone already that I like a lot so I dont want an iPhone). Just a general WHAT SAY YOU, AV ARENA kind of post, I guess, but the concept of this device has really charmed me.

I was really on the fence about it for a while, but like others have been saying, with the addition of 3rd party stuff, it's worth it. It basically becomes a ghetto pda that works better its first time out than any version of windows mobile or CE ever has.

That being said, the fact its now a ghetto pda really brings about some of its shortcomings compared to the iPhone.

Hopefully revision 2 hardware will have the 5 things that are kind of irking me now
1- removal of shiny metal back (they did it with first gen nanos)
2- built in speaker
3- up/down buttons on the side (this drives me nuts the most since it has to go out of my pocket every time for simple volume changes)
4- built in mic (VoIP and voice notes would be pretty badass)
5- 32 gigs

i dont think most of that will happen unless the touch takes off and they announce it as a mini mobile computing platform. Otherwise, they'll just stick with the iPhone and make you pay all the extra monthly stuff. i'm hopeful but even without those things, it's still a really kickass device

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

'Tis the season for lovely knockoff accessories for under :10bux:

just saw this on tuaw and a goon in the iPhone thread got the remote accessory and thought it was pretty good.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/12/05/tuaw-buyers-guide-5-little-iphone-gifts/

the goon who got the remote picked it up at dealextreme.com and I just ordered the same remote and the speaker accessory. It's certainly not the best option, but for 13 bucks including s&h it's worth trying out

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Hillridge posted:

Wow, both of these are things I was planning to look for.

What type of remote would work best with the touch? A video or a nano?

I don't believe the video one works with it. The video only has a dock port while the nano remote has the headphone jack and the dock connector and with touches you need both in to work. It's only moderately annoying considering you get a freaking remote.

Linkletter posted:

I screwed up putting my film on too, there's quite a bit of dust stuck underneath it. My case only came with one though, are you using the film that came with it? Also, how do you get replacements?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9370

dealextreme to the rescue. These look almost identical to the other ones and are only $1.50 each. If you buy 10 of them, they're $8.10 because of bulk pricing. I don't have any idea if they really suck though, but they do look pretty goddamn familiar and I can't imagine there aren't that many types of screen covers. And poo poo, there's a goddamn ipaq on the casing how not sketchy is that?

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Lawnie posted:

EDIT: Just a quick question: what's the little plastic thing that comes with it for?

if you manage to fit your touch into it it will defy gravity

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

cioxx posted:

Is there a free way to backup iPod touch music onto a computer? It's non-jailbroken and the music is manually managed (I don't have the files in the iTunes)

the problem is that the touch is unable to be used in disk mode (this might change in 1.1.3 if you can wait for it) but the only way to really steal your music off of it is to ssh into it... which means a jailbreaking. You can restore it right back when you're done and leave no visible trace of possibly violating your warranty, and it wouldn't take too long to accomplish. Just make sure its plugged into a power source and grab it all out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

128gb touch or bust

• Locked thread