Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

If anyone hasn't tried the new version of the GBA emulator, do it. (GPSPhone). It works great, and is now landscape-style fullscreen with transparent controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Vyze posted:

I'm pretty interested in this. I have a few GBA games I've been meaning to finish but I can just never be bothered bringing them around with my with my DS. Shoving them on the Touch would be great.

How are the controls, though? I can't imagine it being easy to play anything other than turn-based games, due to the lack of actual buttons.

If I do pick one of for Christmas, I gotta remember to get a leather case while I'm at it, since that thing would scratch like a motherfucker in my pocket.

The controls actually work surprisingly well. The only games I am truly having trouble playing are Mario and Sonic, everything else works great. This includes Mario Kart.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Hillridge posted:

Is there a recommended setting to smooth things out?

It's still a little stutter-y on a lot of games. With a release cycle of 2-3 days, however, I don't think you'll have to worry about it too much longer.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Oae Ui posted:

I tried out the new gpSPhone and it's certainly a big improvement over the old version. However unlike SuperCaptainJ I've not had such good luck with the controls. I find anything that requires any kind of precision or quick response on the d-pad to be completely unplayable. RPGs are about the only thing I can handle and even then it sometimes gets pretty frustrating.

Oh I won't ever argue that the controls will ever approach anything near the level of responsiveness of an actual control pad. I don't want to give the impression that this is a good gameboy replacement -- like Oae Ui says, a lot of games are completely unplayable. A lot of other games, however, work perfectly for me with some practice. I can play mario kart, Zelda: Link to the Past, and RPGs just fine. Mario and any kind of fighting game is unplayable.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Holy crap -- know that application "MobileScrobbler" on installer.app that lets you scrobble your songs on the ipod touch? Well it uh, does something else now too -- you can listen to last.fm with it

Edit: In other news, a working Playstation emulator is about to be released for iPhone/iPod touch by the makers of gpsphone.

SuperCaptainJ fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 10, 2007

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Rock Tumbler posted:

I would really really love to see how they handle a d-pad + four face buttons + four shoulder buttons on an iPhone.

There's a mockup at the top of : http://www.zodttd.com/

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

neotek posted:

Well I just got this thing and I'm in love. It took me all of a minute to jailbreak it and start installing the things I want. There are one or two things I would like to change but overall it's awesome.

Yeah, nearly three months later and this thing is definitely my favorite electronic device I've ever purchased.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Vyze posted:

I'm new to iPods as a whole, but would Apple really announce a new upgrade to the Touch a mere 4 or so months after its launch? Is it really commonplace for an iPod to be updated so soon after one has been launched, expecting people to treat mp3 players as incremental upgrades 2 or 3 times a year?

Not commonplace, but I would not be surprised to see a higher capacity touch in response to the heavy criticism of the relatively small storage space. I think any other upgrades this soon are very unlikely.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

It was just announced at Macworld that all new iPod touches will be getting all the iPhone apps (Mail, Maps, Stocks, Notes..). For existing iPod touch owners, you can pay 20 bucks and get them as well.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

bakahams7er posted:

Is there a way to play internet radio on the touch yet?

Why doesn't anyone know about/use MobileScrobbler? It is, by FAR, the best radio app on the touch. If you don't use Last.fm, you are seriously missing out. Having Last.fm on the ipod touch is just too awesome.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Steadiman posted:

Well, the rumor is now that 1.1.3 has been jailbroken but they are holding off on releasing it until Apple releases the SDK. If it's true or not is obviously open for debate but this video certainly looks believable.

This was confirmed by members of the iphone/ipod touch dev team, and a moderator of hackint0sh.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Citizen Dildoe posted:

Goon and rogue developer, Eagle_Fire said in the iPhone Megathread that it would brick the Touch if you tried.

EDIT: Huh, I guess revelastushuesos had a different story to tell.

'brick' an ipod touch? Does anyone loving use the term 'brick' correctly?

There was an error the first time that I tried to do it which rendered the ipod inoperable until I did a restore. I tried it again and it worked great. I'm using my jailbroken 1.1.3 ipod touch right now.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

This should really be put in the OP, because everyone who is jailbreaking should know this --

You will NOT be able to use the legally purchased apps from Apple if you jailbreak from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3. You must update and jailbreak to 1.1.3 starting from 1.1.2. If you don't, syncing of Applications through iTunes will be broken. This VERY likely means that once the SDK is out and applications are available, you will not be able to sync or legally download any applications through iTunes. So if you have 1.1.1, update and jailbreak to 1.1.2 first.

blambert posted:

I'm having a really hard time trying to jailbreak my touch. Bought it last week and decided to try it today, it's on 1.1.3 firmware.

http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/01/17/worlds-easiest-113-to-111-downgrade/

SuperCaptainJ fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 26, 2008

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Justin posted:

That's why i'm holding out until there is a stable 1.1.3 jailbreak.

There are too many issues to deal with right now. I'm not updating itunes even. :tinfoil:

There is a stable 1.1.3 jailbreak on Installer right now.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Void of Infinite Nothing posted:

And I for one thought the built in speaker was a stupid feature .. but I've been using it a lot around the house for casual listening. It's like having an old time transistor radio playing all your favourite tunes. :)

Plus, it sure is a bitch to show your friends something on youtube without a speaker. The lack of speaker is the only complaint I have ever had about my 1G.

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

Quick question I've had a 1G Touch since about the time they came out. I'm probably going to be getting a iPhone 3G with Xmas money and going to give my Touch to the GF. All the apps I have purchased will they transfer just fine over to the 3G as they are tied to iTunes or is it going to be kinda difficult to do?

I just went 1g iPod -> 3g iPhone. Since apps are tied to your iTunes account, there's no problem with putting them on your new iPhone. If your girlfriend uses her account on the iPod, however, no apps for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperCaptainJ
Jun 24, 2005

Contingency Plan posted:

Is there any way to sync the touch with a .txt file so I can look at in the Notes application? I'd rather do that that type poo poo on the touch one character at a time.

Sounds like someone needs to discover Evernote!

• Locked thread