Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Karthe posted:

And how about wall chargers? DealExtreme has one for less than $3, but their stuff is kinda hit and miss, so I'm willing to spend a bit more to remove the chance that my apartment will burn down.

I use this guy: http://www.jr.com/belkin/pe/BKN_F8Z981TTP

$20 and it's pretty much a functional clone of the Apple iPhone/iPad charger which sells for :10bux: more. It's small and won't block the other outlet if it's plugged into a wall. The cable is a little thick but it's not a deal breaker. Charges my brand new iPod Touch 4th Gen just fine.

BTW dunno why everyone rails about the camera resolution, I'm coming from an iPhone 2G where I had to jailbreak to get a decent camera app. Video cam is great as far as I can see.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Having 256 MB RAM is such a godsend, coming from an original iPhone 2G and second gen iPod Touch. With them SBsettings always said there was usually less than 30-50 MB of RAM available and I could always see when stuff like games were gasping for more RAM. Now I see more than twice that most of the time and everything runs smooth as a gravy sandwich. That A4 chip is the cats meow also.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

32 GB is really the sweet spot IMHO; 64 GB is well, gee, may as well just buy a drat MacBook Air, 8 GB is how the $%%$# do I get all my songs and vidyas loaded up.

BTW, I hate this case. Picked it up because I thought it'd be good for games, man but IMHO the shape actually makes controlling stuff shittier for me, and it attracts dust, hair, crumbs, you name it. It also has a loose flap over the home button and the rubber button is in the wrong place for the sleep switch. Also I have to fight to pull it out of my jacket pocket because of those dumb wings and it feels too clammy to hold in my hands for long.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Tensokuu posted:

-- is there any real reason for me to grab the 4G over the 3G?

Lotsa more reasons:

The 4G runs faster: 800 MHz on the 4G, 600 on the 3G.

The 4G has a higher capacity battery, 40 hours of audio play on the 4G, 30 on the 3G.

Two cameras, a 640 * 480 front facing camera, and a 960 * 720 camera on the back.
Both of these cameras are intended for video, not still pics. If you jailbreak, you can apply a hack that will increase the back camera resolution to 1280 * 720, for both stills and video, and get the HDR feature from the iPhone 4.

If you care about FaceTime or Skype with video, you can get it on the 4G, not the 3G.

4G is thinner and weighs less than the 3G. (and still gives you better battery life!)

4G also uses 802.11n (on the 2.4 GHz band only) 3G only is 802.11g.

4G has a gyroscope which lets you have access to more games than the 3G, depending on your taste and whether or not you like gyro-driven games.

4G has a microphone built in, don't need to use the one on the earbud like the 3G.

Some of these reasons may be somewhat trivial, but hey, you asked for some reasons nonetheless. :v:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Anyone tried any of those standalone battery packs with huge mA ratings on them?

I see there's a few batteries north of $50 that have 5400 mA capacity, like the iTrent Fuel pack.

Not very interested in the Mophie Juice Pack Air, even though it's tailor made for the iPod Touch 4G because it only has a paltry 1000 mA battery.

There's also an iTrent iCruiser that has a nearly ridiculous 11000 mA rating, but for $80 it doesn't seem so bad, especially if you're going on a multiday vacation where access to an AC plug isn't guaranteed..

To warm up, I decided to pick up a $16 2600 mA universal USB battery from Monoprice, I'll post a trip report. Sometimes if I'm on a day trip my iPod Touch is dead (getting the 20% warning) by the time night falls around, so I'd like to see if I can get it to at least last to the next morning.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oh yeah, trip report. A page ago I said I picked up this small, portable lithium Ion backup battery for my touch. It cost $16 plus shipping.

I reaaaaallly like it, as it can keep my Touch going for a lot longer than the mopey packs. It's got a 2600 mAh battery inside, which is twice the capacity of the mopeys (typically they only have 1100 mAh) for a lot less money.

My standard USB to dock connector works for the charging. It has a standard USB port on one side and a USB micro port on the other side. It comes with a USB to USB micro cable, you plug it into a powered port to recharge. To read its capacity, you just push a button and a set of four LEDs light up. Four blue LEDs mean a full charge, three blue and one red is 75% charge, etc. The button is thankfully located on the charging side so you know when to disconnect.

I've charged it up on my computer, on a powered hub, and it works very well. I can do charging on the go for any of my devices that need it, like my venerable old iPod Photo which I'm still keeping alive, and my mobile phone. In a pinch I even got the battery to work with a Sprint MiFi 2200, I just had to buy a special USB micro to USB cable that carried power only and shorted out the data pins.

This unit also has a massive big brother that's 7600 mAh for less than $40, but I don't plan on getting that unless someone drags me to Burning Man where I won't be able to access AC power for a week.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 7, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp managed to JB my iPod Touch 4th Gen to 5.0.1. Spent another half hour bringing back 1280 * 720 resolution to my back facing camera, apparently Apple moved the location of the camera plists to yet another folder in a desperate attempt to make sure I never use that extra .2 megapixels. (The default is 960 * 720 if you don't mod it.)

They also threw another curve ball and made the plist file in binary format, making it near impossible to edit the plist with a standard text editor; just use plutil in Terminal to convert it from binary to XML. Interesting that when I copied it back to the iPodT, I forgot to convert it back to binary and it still worked.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If they bump the RAM, it's probably only going to be 512 MB, because that's how much there is in the iPhone 4S. It's basically an iPhone 4S without the phone (A5 chip), with an iPhone 5 display and the iPhone 4's camera, and 5 GHz 802.11n, that's a buy for me.

Also, didn't you guys notice that the Touch 5th gen includes Siri? I'll never use it, but I think that's fantastic.. if I had the choice between paying $249 and no Siri and $299 with Siri, I'd do the latter in a second.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 12, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

6.1 is out, hope it manages available RAM on the 4th gen Touch a little better. Recently my 4th gen has been sluggish, even after a full wipe and Restore..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Anyone tried updating to iOS 6.1 on their 4th gen iPod Touch? 256 MB seems so miniscule even with 5.1.1..

If I'd known the 5th gen was definitely going to be 512 MB I would've held out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple just announced the new iPod Touch 5th Generation models now on sale.

16 GB - $199
32 GB - $249
64 GB - $299

Old features-

Still A5 based (cough), same 4 inch screen, same cheesy colors, still the same headphone jack for you rumor believers (some people thought Apple was going to kill the standard headphone jack and replace it with some Lightning based variant)

New features-

• 5 megapixel backside iSight camera
• LED flash
• Loop mount button to hold strap

Comes with iOS 7 pre-installed, will be iOS 8 compatible

• Locked thread