Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I have an ipod classic (160GB) which doesn't get recognized by itunes and my computer is telling me I need to format the device (I have windows 7). Do I really need to do that? I have my music backed up but it would suck to have to put it all back again.

Also I'm sick of having to use bullshit itunes on my computer, but as there is no other alternatives I thought about jailbreaking the thing. What good software is there that runs on an ipod Classic 7h Generation? I'm just looking for something that plays music and that let's me use another software instead of itunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Mooktastical posted:

Right click the disk in My Computer, then go to the tool tab and do an error check. It should mark the bad spots as unusable and hopefully let you format it and avoid the nastiness that comes from hard drive corruption, but it's not foolproof. Of course if the error check says it couldn't find bad sectors, then there might be some other problem like hosed up drivers or something like that.

It says that the check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk. I can still play music in it, but I can't add or delete any songs or anything (including restoring it) because iTunes or Copy Trans Manager both don't read the device. I don't want to format the iPod when Windows asks me to because I'm afraid it might delete even whatever software it has inside that makes it function as an iPod and I'll be stuck with just a very expensive black paperweight.

• Locked thread