Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Captain Charisma posted:

In addition, I forgot that they were taking out the double tap home -> portable music player that you could do in any app (which I used A LOT) for the stupid multitasking bar. Guess that's what happens when you only have one button.
But if you scroll to the side in the multitask bar, the music controls are still there.

EDIT: efb

Quick question on jailbreaking, guys. I have a jailbroken 2G 8gb Touch running 3.1.3. What is the order of doing things to upgrade and then jailbreak 4.0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Virion posted:

I was just going to ask this. I've only seen 3GS and 3G stuff but I was hoping that, since those are more complex, it meant the Touch was already done and nobody reported it in the rush.
http://blog.alltechrelated.com/2010/06/21/how-to-jailbreak-ios-4-0-public-release-firmware-for-iphone-ipod-touch/
This looks like the best lead... but I don't know if I want to be the first to take the plunge. It looks like the order of steps is:

1. Make sure you have iTunes 9.2
2. Back up your iPod using iTunes
3. Upgrade to official 4.0 in iTunes
4. Open up Redsn0w and click on the Browse button.
5. Navigate to the iOS 4.0 GOLD MASTER version of the firmware for your iDevice (not public release).
6. Go through the normal steps following the on screen instructions on the Redsn0w program.
7. Let the program run until it says it has completed successfully.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Virion posted:

Ooo, yeah, the part about using the GM for the modification makes me a bit uncertain. I wish they explained why/what it was used for in the process, I'm guessing because they've already figured it out with that, but I don't know enough to be sure.

edit: just out of curiosity I checked the GM I have and the builds are the same as the 4 ipsw restore out on iTunes, but they differ by about 7mb. v:geno:v
I know that the big difference is that the GM has the beta version of Game Center and the public release doesn't.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I said come in! posted:

Apparently 4.0 has an issue where your wifi doesn't turn off when you shut off your screen. Be sure to turn off your wifi manually.
Whaaaaaaat. That's a crippling flaw. Why would I upgrade if it does that? You know how many times I put my iPod Touch into sleep? Are you sure about this?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Crotch Bat posted:

Touch comes with Airplane Mode now. I keep my Wi-Fi turned on and when I go to sleep I'll just flip the switch for that and it'll be fine.
But I must put my iPod into sleep mode maybe 10-15 times a day! That's definitely not a feature and I'll hold off on upgrading now. (unless that can be disabled?)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I am so psyched about this if this is true. After the last refresh of the Touch, I was disappointed and stuck with my 8gb 2nd Gen. It's so frustrating relying on its small space and slow speed (and the fact that I'm stuck on jailbroken 3.1.3, because firmware 4 would slow it to a crawl and zap my battery).

Apple would sell so drat many iPod Touches if they gave it all the benefits of the iPhone 4 without the phone.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mrens posted:

I have a question, I used to own a iPod Nano, after I lost it I decided that I really wanted to upgrade to an iPod Touch.

I do kind of have a few questions before I shell out the cash.

1. Should I wait? I see the iPhone got a new model, will a new Touch be coming out soon? Should it be something I have to get?
Wait, new models should be announced in September. Everyone is hoping that it'll be similar upgrades as the iPhone 4. I'm really hoping for stuff like an HD camera, retina display, bigger memory, microphone, etc...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Gotta be fake, if only because Apple's pushing the iOS 4 update now, so the menu would have a background image like the iPhone 4.0 pics if it were true.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

toxick posted:

I dunno, the rear camera is an important part of Facetime calls. It would be a serious misstep for Apple to not include it. I think the real question is, will the rear camera be 5MP, with a flash, and capable of recording 720P video, like the iPhone? There were rumors that the new touch would end up with the 3GS's 3.2MP camera.

Only one more week till we know.
Now, even if the camera is 3.2MP, wouldn't it theoretically be able to record 720p video? I mean, 720p is 1280x720 and 3.2MP is 2048x1536...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Astro7x posted:

1280x720 is a 16:9 aspect ratio, 960x720 is a cropped 4:3 aspect ratio.

Just to confirm... So even though the new iPod says it takes 720p HD video, it's really not taking 16:9 HD video, but a lower resolution? I mean, won't people see that it's not really HD when put up against video taken by any other HD camera?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

plester1 posted:

I was under the impression that the video was standard 720p, its just the still camera that crops it down to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

I don't know about that... The Apple site is very vague about stating resolution for the 720p video it takes. I would love to have confirmation that it is 16:9, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet (I ordered the 64gb version on the spot, just FYI, but I'm prepared to be let down if it's some weird resolution).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

toxick posted:

Guys, the video recording is 720p. The still shots are cropped. The reason the still shots having a poor resolution is due to the sensor being made for video, not video AND still photos. Recording video and taking still photos are two different things. They simply couldn't fit the sensor and LED flash from the iPhone 4 into the touch.

It really does suck, though. I really wanted a touch with the 5MP rear camera so I could ditch my Canon P&S. The other hardware updates just don't interest me that much. The retina display is nice, but I don't spend that much time reading on my iPod. I don't really have any use for Facetime. As for the A4, more RAM, gyroscope, etc -- all of that stuff is great if you play games on your iPod, but I don't.

I'm skipping this update.
What is 720p, according to you? Is it 1280x720 or 960x720?

They have not specified this, and the example video on apple's site that says "this video was shot on an iPod touch" is in the iPod touch aspect ratio, not 16:9.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

toxick posted:

720p is always recorded at 1280x720. If you look at a video made with the iPhone 4, you'll see that its resolution is 1280x720.
You can't use the iPhone as a case for the ipod having the same resolution. We know that the camera is much lower quality and the only resolution that has been mentioned on the site maxes out at 960...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Astro7x posted:

There were so little features I used on my Touch when I jailbroke it, and most of those features I used were added in iOS4. In most cases jailbreaking causd my iPod to be laggy and the battery drained faster.

Is there some killer app that I'm missing?
I mainly just use the jailbreak on my iPod touch 2G for SBSettings, which I guess I could live without on the faster 4G touch (it just takes too long to get into the regular settings to toggle wifi or brightness).

The other main thing I use jailbreak for is image backgrounds and to make a 5 by 5 icon grid to fit a lot more apps on the screen. These issues are solved in 4.0 firmware with folders and built-in backgrounds, so I won't need to jailbreak for them.

The only thing I wish Apple would add is some way to manually back up app data. I hate how your save games are deleted if you need to free up space and delete the associated app.

EDIT: Just got an e-mail from Apple saying my iPod Touch just shipped. Should be delivered by Friday, according to FedEx.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 6, 2010

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Crotch Bat posted:

Enjoy your 3rd gen for a year or so and if you think the 5th gen will really improve the experience, get it.
Apple products almost seem better to buy on an alternating generation. Make it last 2 years, until your device feels so outdated that you just HAVE to upgrade.

Me personally, I'm upgrading from an 8gb 2G to a 64gb 4G, so I think I'll be satisfied.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Okay, I must be stupid or something. How do I get the HD video that I took off of my iPod in Windows? I don't want to e-mail it to myself or upload it directly to YouTube, I want the raw file. It's easy to grab photos through windows explorer, but the video that I just shot is not showing up in the same DCIM folder.

EDIT: Ah. I had taken the video while the iPod was plugged into my computer, so the folder didn't update with the file until I disconnected and reconnected the iPod. Silly me.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 10, 2010

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I totally need a case. When are the first cases available in stores?
It's annoying fretting over possible scratches on the back and the actual body is too thin to be comfortable in games.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

No End to Gulps posted:

Can someone explain how the multitasking works for iOS 4, on this beautiful new iPod touch 4g?

What's the difference between clicking the home button once and double clicking the home button when I'm using an App or a program like Safari? Just say I'm using Safari, and then I click home once, and then start another App.. is Safari still using RAM? By hitting the home button once, am I effectively "shutting down" an app/program? And by double clicking home, does this keep that program active, allowing me to start another app?

I know there's nothing worse than a newb coming in and asking stupid questions that can probably be searched for, but if you google "ipod tips and tricks" you really get NOTHING useful.

Does someone want to rhyme off a couple of helpful tips real quick in a post?
From my understanding...

The only way that you manually "quit" an app is if you hold down the app icons in the multi-task bar until they jiggle, then hit the minus symbol on the corner. The way the system works is that apps that are compatible with iOS 4.0 at least have "freeze-dry," which just pauses their state until you come back to the app. Certain apps that stream music or voice or download things in the background are allowed to do that when you're in another app. Once the RAM is all taken up, the device ends the furthest back app you were running (and freeze-dries it).

You shouldn't really have to worry at all about multi-tasking, unless you're running radio apps and you want to stop the music. The multi-task bar really mostly serves as a "recently used apps" list. It's definitely handy to have in that regard.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm jailbroken on 4.1 and I noticed that when I open Appshopper, I see through SBsettings that I get a process called "AdSheet" running in the background (which is most likely Apple's iAds). If I don't manually close that process when I put my ipod into standby, it seems to drain the battery pretty fast.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anyone know of a case for the iPod touch 4G that has a built in battery? I know there's one for the iPhone and the previous generation iPod touch, but I'd really love one for the new iPod. There's just not enough battery life if you play a lot of games...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Go big or go home, those Gameloft games take up a ton of space.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Asnorban posted:

The Apple website says iOS 4.3 is supported on 3rd gen Ipod Touch, but mine has been saying it is the most recent version for days now. Has anyone been able to update a 3rd gen ipod touch?
If you have an 8gb, that's actually a 2nd gen and 4.2.1 is the highest you can go.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

potentiometer posted:

Hello,

Can someone recommend a free or pay program for texting? I know nothing apple, but the 9 year old was given an 8 gig second generation ipod and I'd like for him to have something to txt with and the default one seems kinda sucky as every txt session seems to change address, or maybe I just don't understand how this thing works?

What I'd like is something that keeps the same addy kinda like my phone or an email address. If it matters we jailbroke it using greenpoisOn.

Thanks!
Textfree or TextNow offer free texting with a real permanent* phone number, so I'd go with either of those.

*permanent as long as you send/receive a free text at least once a month to keep your account active.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Idioteque Dance posted:

So we should be expecting the annual iPod conference soon right? I can't rememeber how long prior to the event they announced it last year. It'll be nice to know whether it's worth selling my 4th gen for an upgrade!
It's weird, now that they pushed the iPhone conference back, I don't know if we'll see a new iPod touch for a while. To my knowledge, they've never been announced at the same time. Probably cuts down on cannibalizing their own sales since they're almost the same device except for the phone part and camera quality.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Can anyone summarize what changed for the ipod touch with today's announcement price and feature wise? Do they get a faster CPU or anything?
The 8gb is now $199 instead of $229.
Now it comes in white. Everything else is the same. Same models as last year.

That's it.
It's disappointing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lexicon posted:

I decided to pick up an 8GB touch. Future Shop (Canadian subsidiary of Best Buy) only had devices preloaded with iOS4 left (meaning these are not Oct-2011 devices). From what I've read, the 2010 edition is identical to the 2011 edition - but is there any reason to favour the latter? Is it a reasonable possibility that a 2010 device will get one fewer update in future?
If it has a camera, it's exactly the same as the latest edition and will be supported as long as the latest one will be.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I have a SwitchEasy Color case and I love it. It really makes the device look unique (and it's nice having it in white while it's still a black ipod touch).
The big home button is actually pretty handy.

http://www.amazon.com/SwitchEasy-Colors-Silicone-Case-Touch/dp/B0049OJNRE

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

wa27 posted:

This seems like a dumb question but how do I mute an ipod touch? I turned the volume all the way down but some sound effects seems to be unaffected. for example, the twitter app still makes a noise when I refresh. There has to be a way to completely mute the internal speaker completely without having to plug headphones in...
Don't believe the two above goons, there's an easy way to do it.

Go to the Settings app, then tap Sounds, then either drag the "ringer and alerts" slider all the way down or enable the "change with buttons" toggle and those system/alert noises will go down when you use the volume buttons on the homescreen.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 3, 2012

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nihiliste posted:

Yep. Not many, but they exist. The consensus seems to be an iPhone 5-sized screen and a faster processor; presumably it'll get more RAM and a better rear camera too.
They had better add more RAM. My 4th gen iPod Touch is so drat sluggish and crashy that it's barely usable compared to an iPad 2/3.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Welp, I'm a bit disappointed that the storage didn't get bumped to 128gb and that we're getting the A5 processor instead of the A6, but other than that, I'm definitely upgrading my frustatingly-crashy/slow 4th gen iPod Touch to the new model.

Everyone on the Internet seems to think the iPod Touch doesn't have any market, but I'm not interested in an expensive 2-year phone contract, so I want an iOS device to go with my cheap-rear end android pay-as-you-go phone. I don't mind paying $399 for the highest model, since it works out to be cheaper than the couple thousand you're paying for the iPhone over two years.

Here's hoping the RAM is at least 1gb in these things or else I'll be pissed.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

hypersleep posted:

Yup, it's getting Siri.
No, no, no. The iPod Touch 4th Generation is not getting Siri, sorry to disappoint you doctorfrog.

The only non-iPhone devices getting Siri with iOS 6.0 are the 3rd Generation iPad and the 5th Generation iPod Touch.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Alright, I put in an order for a silver one and a blue one. I figure I'll cancel one of the orders over the next week once I finally come to a decision between the colors.

What's everyone's favorite choice for color? (I don't think anyone's going to be going for that gross green/yellow/gold shade)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Also, really great that the Purchased Tab is completely useless on the App Store. I can understand some problems due to server overload in the first few days of iOS 6.0, but it's been long enough now...

Another annoyance is that they scrapped the iOS 5 way of updating apps (download update for an app, and while it's installing, start downloading the next app update). Now it's back to the iOS 4 and below way of downloading and fully installing one app before working on the next.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Jet Ready Go posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sounds like END of October fulfillment then. I want my new toy NOW.
Hahaha, you should know by now that when companies say a month/season/yearly quarter, it means that it's at the very very very very end of that limit.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

New iPod touch just shipped.
Looks like the delivery date is by Monday the 15th (possible official release date)?

Of course, I was an idiot and ordered two colors hoping to cancel one before shipping as soon as I got an inkling of the release date, so I'll have to make a trip to the Apple store to return one once I get it. :doh:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ChocNitty posted:

Has anyone used freedompop?

I'm thinking of using it with the new touch that i'll be getting in a couple weeks, and combine them to make like a poor mans iPhone.
Wouldn't they need to make one that fits the new iPod first? It looks like the one they're promoting was made for the 4th generation iPod Touch.

BTW, I just got my blue 5th Gen Touch and it's freaking amazing. I'm so glad to be rid of that laggy piece of poo poo that my 4th became after two years.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

hypersleep posted:

Would it be a bother to ask you to post some camera test pics? Outdoors, indoors, low light, whatever you could, if you can. Thanks!
I took a few outside, sorry no low light stuff. The sheer difference in resolution and the ability to focus for macro shots is well worth the upgrade.
http://imgur.com/a/5dR3N

Definitely view the comparisons at full resolution by clicking the gear in the top right corner of the image.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ChocNitty posted:

Nope, it works with any wifi enabled device.
I mean the shape of the case, not the connectors. Is it custom fitted for the new ipod touch?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ChocNitty posted:

Case? This is the device they're shipping me:

Hoping the coverage is decent.
Huh, weird, I can't find that on their site, only the two sleeves for the iPod Touch and iPhone 4/4s.

Yeah, if they make a generic mobile WiFi hotspot, that's different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nihiliste posted:

...and this'll teach me to click the thumbnail. Still, shouldn't you be getting EarPods with a new Touch or Nano?
Nah, 6th generation is last year's square shuffle sized one with the touch screen.

• Locked thread