Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weedle
May 31, 2006

SuperCaptainJ posted:

Edit: In other news, a working Playstation emulator is about to be released for iPhone/iPod touch by the makers of gpsphone.

I would really really love to see how they handle a d-pad + four face buttons + four shoulder buttons on an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kevdude posted:

I'm searching for my Doom disc too, but I honestly doubt I have it anymore. Is there anywhere to get a copy of the needed files? Buying it again is no problem if needed. (hopefully this isn't :filez: )

You can get Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom on Steam for $10 apiece.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Toiletbrush posted:

There's a pretty :coal: unit converter on Installer.app now.

What I however still need is a scientific calculator. There's some HP1x calculator emulators, but these things are completely unintuitive in real life, as such the emulators are the same.

What? Really? If there's one for the HP-16C I may have just been sold on a Touch.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

whiskas posted:

There's a database of 23 million wifi hotspots. Based on the hotspots in your area and the signal strength (distance) to them, it can estimate your current location. The more wifi hotspots in your area that are also in this database, the more accurate the locator will be.

It's similar to the technology used on the iphone, except cell phone towers are used instead of hotspots.

That's not entirely reassuring

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

Would linking us to this be :filez: ? If not, do it! :)

Well, Wikipedia is free, so no.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I bought an iPod Touch yesterday to replace my 30GB Zune with a busted hard drive. I'm trying to get my music to show up properly on the iPod but I cannot for the life of me get a handful of albums to play in the right order. The track numbers all show up correctly in iTunes, but it's all out of order on the iPod. I've tried deleting and resyncing all the music, deleting and resyncing the albums in question, and deleting and resyncing each song on the affected albums one by one. Nothing I've tried has made the songs show up in the right order, and I'm getting increasingly pissed off. It boggles my mind that iTunes has been around for seven years and still sucks this much.

edit: Figured it out. Apparently iTunes wasn't picking up on the Album Artist tags for all of the songs, despite them being embedded in the metadata. Top-notch work, Apple.

edit2: While I'm here, is there a way to organize videos decently on the Touch? I've got two movies, two episodes of House, and two episodes of the Sopranos on here, and they all just show up in a big list, with the only division being between TV and movies. Is there a way to enable some sort of sub-menu so I could, for example, select "The Sopranos" and have it go to a list showing just episodes of The Sopranos?

Weedle fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 13, 2008

Weedle
May 31, 2006

guys

I'm taking a poo poo and posting from my touch

this is awesome

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Blakkout posted:

I just got done looking through some apps they have in the "apps store" via Apple's website. Wow, I had no idea there were so many. Can most of the apps work with the iPod Touch, or are they mostly geared toward the iPhone? I'm specifically wondering about the weather, maps, news, and stock apps. Can I simply download those from the apps store as opposed to jailbreaking?

Absolutely. Only apps that specifically use the phone features (cell network, microphone, etc.) won't work with the Touch.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I just plugged in my iPod to sync, and I had to click through an ad for the MobileMe service. I'm probably overreacting, but I'm pretty loving pissed off that they're trying to push ads to me after I paid three hundred loving dollars for this thing.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

2.2 comin' through

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Apparently the Touch does not get Google Street View for some reason, while the iPhone does.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

slaphappynickname posted:

Is it worth the extra $40 to get the 2nd gen touch?

Not for a six-year-old

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm noticing some static with some songs on my Touch. Most recently I noticed it in the intro to "#1" by Animal Collective. It is perfectly clean played through iTunes on my PC (with the same earbuds), but it fuzzes and crackles if I try to play it on the Touch. What's going on here?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bink posted:

Could be a broken wire in your headphones.

Wouldn't that problem manifest itself on the PC as well? I've gone back and forth, and it's always on the iPod and never on the PC.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Maybe something is wrong with the headphone jack on the ipod.

poo poo. How could I confirm whether or not this is the problem?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Super Dude posted:

The only way I can think of is to try using different headphones and see if it still happens.

Yeah, it happens with my headset as well. Looks like the iPod is bad. :( The only Apple store in town is way the gently caress out south and I loving hate going there; would I have any luck taking it back to the Target from which I bought it?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bink posted:

I really doubt a tape adapter is going to sound any better

It will, actually.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Looks like Apple's in-ear headphones are shipping, finally. Can anyone who's bought them offer an opinion?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

I had a similar problem with mine, although it came on suddenly. I ended up taking it to the apple store since it was still under warranty and they exchanged it with a refurbished one on the spot.

Went to the Apple store today. The "Genius" told me that the static showing up on the iPod and not in iTunes was due to the differences in the way iPods and iTunes play back music. Now, I don't actually know how either one works, but this sounds like a line of bullshit. He suggested that I re-rip or re-encode the file; I don't have the original disc, so I just converted the MP3 to AAC, and the static was still present. I'm going to try and get ahold of the original disc so I can re-rip the file and see if it still happens, but I don't think it'll help. How can I convince the Genius Bar to just replace my drat iPod?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

You're right, it's a line of crap. There's something wrong with your iPod and they should replace it. If you can stand to be without it for a while, maybe do a mail-in return?

When I went to the store, they did a restore on my iPod so there was no music on it. They copied some of their own music onto it and checked it with their own headphones. Maybe have them try that?

I put in a request for mail-in service; I can listen to music on my PSP until they get it back to me. I just hope they don't go "NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS :downs:" and charge me the "diagnostic fee" of "no more than one hundred ($100) dollars US, plus applicable tax."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

checkeredshawn posted:

Somehow I ended up with a screenshot of the weather application in my Photos. Does anyone know how this happened? I could delete it fine, but I'm curious how it got there in the first place.

You can take screenshots by holding the home button and pressing the sleep/wake button. Perhaps you inadvertently did that?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I need a favor from those of you with 2G Touches. I'm trying to determine conclusively whether the crackling I'm hearing is specific to my iPod and my iPod only, this warranting a replacement. If you all with 2G Touches could put this file on them, listen to it with headphones/earbuds, and tell me whether you hear crackling during the beginning part of the song, I'd greatly appreciate it..

(That is in fact an Animal Collective song, so if this is too :filez:y I will gladly remove it. I'm only after some diagnostics though, not filesharing.)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Does anyone know where iPod backups made with iTunes are kept in Windows?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I'm listening to this now on my 2G with latest firmware and the professional headphones we use for our camera at work. No crackling at all during the entire song. Nothing wrong when I tried it with earbuds, either.

Yeah, that's what I figured. The guy at the Genius Bar claimed that it was normal, but if it is normal then the iPod is officially the shittiest PMP ever, which is probably not the case. I did some testing and research and determined that it's a faulty op-amp, so I'm sending it back to Apple.

It would be nice if there was a repair request category for audio, playback, or anything else that might be related to the iPod's primary function. I chose "connectivity" because nothing else made sense, but it turns out that "connectivity" actually refers to Wi-Fi. Of course, I only discovered this after submitting the repair request, but hopefully whoever gets it is semi-literate and can read the description I typed in.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm pretty sure going to the website on the iPhone just launches the app.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What? If it launches the app on the iPhone using the cell network, it'll launch the app using Wi-Fi on a Touch. There's no difference here.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rock Tumbler posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. The guy at the Genius Bar claimed that it was normal, but if it is normal then the iPod is officially the shittiest PMP ever, which is probably not the case. I did some testing and research and determined that it's a faulty op-amp, so I'm sending it back to Apple.

It would be nice if there was a repair request category for audio, playback, or anything else that might be related to the iPod's primary function. I chose "connectivity" because nothing else made sense, but it turns out that "connectivity" actually refers to Wi-Fi. Of course, I only discovered this after submitting the repair request, but hopefully whoever gets it is semi-literate and can read the description I typed in.

Well, Apple's repair staff has reported no problem found with the iPod, despite ample evidence to the contrary from multiple sources. :suicide: Looks like I'm taking it back to the Apple Store and making a big scene until they give me a new one.

This has been the worst support experience of my life.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Super Dude posted:

What possible reason could there be for not including Flash?

Because you could run unsigned applications, creating potential security vulnerabilities.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Except you don't know if it would take 2GB or 15GB of space to download just your neighborhood. Just saying "I'll give you 3 GB" doesn't mean anything when you have no reference as to how much space things take up. Who knows, maybe your give me as much as you can stops after 1 mile. 1/2 mile? 1/4 mile?

How could one square mile of Google Maps data possibly take up 3GB?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Juice is the best podcast aggregator I've ever used.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Okay, I just bought an Ipod touch off my friend but I'm running into some problems.

I just formatted my computer and as a result I don't have XP updated much because I'm not really using it much for the time being, the problem is Itunes wanted Service Pack 2 for all this poo poo and I don't have it, I got around that by installing an older version of Itunes but now it says my Ipod touch requires service pack 2, although some people say it will work with just SP1.

Is there some alternative program or some poo poo I can use so I can just put music on my goddamn mp3 player without having to download tons of poo poo?

Download SP2. There is absolutely no reason to run XP without at least SP2 these days, and preferably SP3.

Unless, of course, you pirated it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kapalama posted:

My computers hate me. Is this many computer usage thing only something that works with the touch? IS this a new ability?

I've never encountered it with my Touch. Switching computers or reinstalling Windows is always a colossal pain in the rear end for this reason.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

cocteau posted:

I don't know if it's keyed to the ipod itself, but I know that's how it works with songs from iTunes. You can have up to 5 authorized computers that can play the songs. I found out the hard way because 2 computers are dead, one is not in my possession any more and I have a work computer and 2 personal ones. That adds up to 6 so I can't play any of my DRM tracks on my home computer unless I deauthorize one first. But I can't deauthorize one that isn't working! :argh: Apple!

Go into your iTunes account page and click "Deauthorize All." You can then re-authorize only the ones you want to use.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Grimes posted:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in here but if you get the iPhone earbuds, you can actually get voice going on the Touch. Useful for making VOIP calls and using some random applications that require recording. :)

Can you use Shazam with them?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Why the gently caress do the iTunes Store terms of service change like once a month? What are they changing?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GregNorc posted:

Hm. I can't get anything... both the built in UI and this little app for finding networks I downloaded see nothing. Do you know what's the command to do a factory reset?

Go to the iPod screen in iTunes and do a restore.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FidgetyRat posted:

How the hell does it handle things like opening the battery compartment, or plugging in audio jacks? Im baffled.

It coats the inside and outside of every component. It doesn't close any seams.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Crowley posted:

Good software is worth supporting.

It's not like he can go back and pay for it now.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

niggery

was this necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Newsweek has an interesting article about the U.S. military's use of the iPhone and iPod Touch.

• Locked thread