Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
NeHe opengl with glut and openal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
http://www.legalsoft.com.cn/download/go.asp?i=4&n=/download/cg/nehe.pdf
Will this work, its dated Dec 2004 which is a bit of a bummer, but should be right for the most part.
If you look at that pdf, the first slide is setting up in MacOS with glut.
Follow that guide and you'll have a window created for you with your render function set.
Not sure how large your project is, but that's pretty simple for a lot of stuff.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Hehe I'm in a similar boat - I went to ruby from C++ and have been working with GL. Its a lot of fun :)
Just doing some small stuff to learn the language, I think I'll try tetris or something.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I looked at the Nate Robbins tutorials, and although they are really funky, they clearly target a different crowd. NeHe teaches you OpenGL from the ground up, Nate Robbins shows you how the parameters of a function call come together. OpenGL colour books are equally sucky at walking you through step by step. Great reference, terrible point to start.

As for the BMP loading, code stealing is the best way, but if you're stealing code you may as well steal something that doesn't completely suck. PNG is cool, but libpng is a dependency that I really can't be bothered with.

Here is a TGA loader I found on the net somewhere:

http://pastebin.com/f7c2b44e2

http://rapidshare.com/files/73582942/tga.rar.html

Just call it with
GLuint tex = loadTGATexture(filename)
or set a texid your self loadTGATexture(filename,texid)

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

gra posted:

I'm working in DirectX/C++ just now. At the moment, I move things along the x and y axis and rotate them around the z axis - but I want to move the object "forward" along the heading it's been rotated to (I'm thinking asteroids - where the ship moves along the direction it's heading). Any idea/tutorials on how to do this?

Oh poo poo, i ran into the same problem the other day, but on a bigger scale. Is there a generalisation I can make which ignores the angle the player is facing? At the moment, I have to use different math functions depending on the angle (eg 0-90, 90-180, 180-270, 270-360)

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

tyrelhill posted:

I'd have to disagree and say you should start way down at the bottom with simple stuff like Pong and Frogger before you go look at binary search trees and crap like that.

Here's a question for you though. After making Pong, snake and tetris, what's next step to 3D Game Programming Mecca? Jump from the low level up to the top and work your way down again (ala pre-built game engine) or continue on the same path (build all the ground work on my own).

I can see the 'learning' benefit of option two, but seriously, if I started down that low, I'd code steal 80% of the stuff (like model loading code) to get to a clumsy version of a pre-built engine. Should I skip that pain and actually get to doing some serious game code before I work my way down when I start caring about the difference between different modelling programs?

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I tried XNA when it first came out, but it didn't really do it for me. I think I'll have another attempt these summer holidays.

As for the vector thing, I had the right idea but I had cos for x axis instead of z, and vice versa.

x = x - Speed*sin(roty)
z = z + Speed*cos(roty)

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
There were hacks to get it working in VS2005. Last I read, it had something to do with microsoft wanting to push a 'commercial' XNA product later which tied in with their commercial Visual Studio

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
When learning lighting in OpenGL, should I start by learning the fixed-function stuff, or should I skip ahead to implementing my own system in shaders? I'm not at all worried about not being able to program for video cards that do not support Pixel Shaders.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I'm starting with this tutorial - http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/glsl/index.php?minimal

It's probably not the best, but its got me interested. After this I'll move on to more tutorials. I understand the basics of how lights work in opengl (glenable, light0-7, ambience, diffuse, specular) but nothing too in depth.

Vertex normals - Sounds like basic trig to me, just make sure I use Counter Clockwise vertices.

Just how difficult is shader loading? Naturally, I stole the loader for this tutorial which uses something called GLEW. Looks fairly basic.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I just stopped at an unfinished game. I wanted to know what the game was about, so i jumped straight into single player (not hard mode).

I was given the option of placing towers, and my first attempt was to drop them on the red blocks, which failed. I couldn't see a really-really good place to put my first tower, I suggest that you make one blatantly suggestive point for level one to guide the player.

After placing my tower, I had to face it in a direction. I failed at this too, because I wasn't sure if the three things on red blocks were on my team, or if I was one and the other two were computer players. I had a feeling this might be some kind of Tower Defence map, but I couldn't see an obvious point for monsters to spawn.

Afterwards, a ship thing came out and suicided or something, not sure what was meant to go on there, my single lone tower did nothing. Next round I was asked to place five walls. Again, I had no guidance and no reason to place them in a strategic way so I just click spammed on the screen. Same with the three towers.

This time a bunch of little monsters came out of the ships, and I killed them. Yay, confirmed to be Tower Defence, but it wasn't exciting enough to keep me captivated.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

rrenna posted:

I'd love to hear some feedback on my game if anyone has the patience.

Have you posted it already, or is it for applicants only?

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Someone asked earlier about a 2D game engine in C#: I've been playing around with SDL.net a bit and I'm fairly impressed with it. AnimatedSprite classes sure do take out a lot of the work.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I once read a book by Andre LaMothe: Tricks of the windows game programming gurus.

I loved it, but its a bit old now (directdraw 5 is used, along with some other out dated interfaces...). Still, it's a good introduction to how to think like a games programmer, and how to structure your code. There was meant to be a 3D version of the book (part 2 if you will) but I never found it...

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

TSDK posted:

Our old PC engine used to do exactly that - it would 'expand' to claim all unused CPU in the Task Manager display, but it would back off whenever other stuff was going on, down to the actual usage level.

My little tetris game had this problem, couldn't get it to back off the 100% cpu usage. Sucks because 100% cpu usage BURNS through battery on a laptop.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

PnP Bios posted:

He was worried about it running at 100%. Anything polling the event loop is going to be running at 100%. I agree about using WaitMessage being mostly retarded, but that's a way to make it not run at 100%.

..but he's waiting for vsync? Sure he won't be blocked in WaixMessage, but he *will* be blocked in wait for vsync, right?

I agree with the 'driver ignoring vsync' idea. Check your control panel settings.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Which one is better development wise? Eg. easier to start with?

Do either of them have xna/c# bindings?

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

more falafel please posted:

Havok rules :c00lbert:

Elaborate!!

Nuke Mexico posted:

NeHe's for scrubs.. Nate Robins is where it's at http://www.xmission.com/~nate/tutors.html

I hear that NeHe is bad, but there is a LOT more stuff on there than Nate's website.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I always run into a similar problem.
If unix has taught me anything, its that your base class entity should have a getParentScene() method :)

then you can this->getParentScene()->addEntity()

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
How is animation handled in 3D with XNA? Is there a good tutorial perhaps?

vanjalolz fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 15, 2008

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Sounds like you're trying to stop people from editing the files to get an unfair advantage in game. I think you'd need to use some kind of CRC method for this, but ultimately you just need to put in more effort protecting your game than the hackers are willing to put in to break it.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

FigBug posted:

breakout

If you know how to work out the default angle, then you can just fudge it depending on how far away [the ball and paddle collision point is from the center of the paddle].

vanjalolz fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 20, 2008

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Only games I've seen require you to enter a menu and add a vote to kick. When X number of votes are reached, it kicks. Its not a yes/no vote, its a vote to kick.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

Jo posted:

I'm not sure why that one line would make so much of a difference. I've tried changing textures to no avail.
Your fonts don't render or nothing at all renders?
Double check that your font texture is loaded properly, and make sure you're rebinding the old texture once you're done (with the font drawing stuff).

eee; Muro your code is bad, consider yourself berated. Quaternion sounds so much like quantum physics.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

Hanpan posted:

Thanks guys, sorry for the lack of specifics in my question. I'll give pyGame a try.

Sorry to muddy the waters, but if you're after easy movement to XNA (being c# based and all) you could try sdl.net with mono on mac. I tried it and it was fairly nice, but quite sparse.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

Pfhreak posted:

Box2D -- 2D physics library. Never run into problems with it ( http://box2d.org ) As far as I know, it's still being actively developed.

This thing got me so excited last year. Fascinating library, I'm sure its responsible for more than half of the physics inspired games available today.

What ever happened to that Crayon game?

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
edit: I suck.

vanjalolz fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I've also got an XNA question (which has probably been answered a hundred times): What game library should I use to make a 3D third person RPG style game?
Is XNA good enough to do the whole thing with out someone else's game engine? I've made games before and I've done a unit on 3D, but other than that I know nothing about 3D games.