Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think I'm understanding why games don't like to gave players melee spears. I just slammed one in the UE5 3rd-person pawn's right had and now it moves all goofy. I am guessing the spear is causing collision madness and wrecking how the player moves. I assume I have to disable collisions on it or something. That would, like, by the least of my worries though. How would I have the spear slide through the players hands for a thrust? All I have here glues the weapon to a hand and that's that. I also have the figure out how to add animations for working with a spear and two hands; I'd probably want to play with the UE5 mesh for a long time, and I've heard of animation packs that just add new animations, so I'm hoping I can somehow slap that pawn in Blender and add some new animations. Then again, I'd have to do that with a prop spear to make sure they're coherent. Oh boy oh boy!

Besides all that and everyone's suggestions, the main reason games avoid them is because they have a completely unique set of animations that can't be easily shared with any other attack animations besides some overlap with other polearms (sort), and maybe staffs if you're not being too particular/are clever enough. Pole based weapon combat makes extensive use of the entire shaft and striking with either end at various grip points that is a lot of work to make look and good and work well in games, while any grip based weapons (or grip approximate) can easily be swapped in for each other as is or with minimal changes. It is a lot of extra work for something that brings questionable additional value to a lot of games. The main irony here of course being that spears and polearms made up the vast majority of pre-gunpowder implements of war, but people love swords, so whatcha gonna do?

I suppose we could train animators and riggers like we do martial artists by starting with the staff when they move on to weapons, since once you've mastered all the basic movements of that weapon, everything else comes much more intuitively (and you're way less likely to maim yourself/others around you), but I don't see that getting traction any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU