Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

That 'low monthly payments' line seems a bit ironic now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I'm just getting into building my own game.

I count myself a decent programmer, and know a fair bit of unity. Its going to be an interesting voyage. Sadly, I know nothing making art assets.

I'm trying to make a hack'n slash type of game. But I don't know about the modeling/animation/rigging/skinning pipeline. I want to whip up a skeleton body in Blender that I can use as a placeholder for development, which a real artist can expand upon later. Here's the requirements:

1) A human shaped skeleton that can be used for both male and female characters meshes.
2) Can be used for all animations, i.e. "sword slash 1", "walk", "run", "die" etc.
3) Can be re-skinned programmatically with a few different faces.
4) Has a number of sockets that I can add armor/clothes when I have an actual artist.

Unfortunately, as I said, I don't know anything about the asset creation pipeline. So I'm not sure how to go about this. I need to know how to build and animate a skeleton, and use a placeholder that wont be an impediment to my future artists and wont conflict with my unity project when I replace it with skinned/clothed models. Any advice on how to do that is greatly appreciated.

There are lots of character models and animation packs on the Asset Store that you can use for placeholders, or you could try something like MakeHuman to make a more customised character model. With the ubiquity of Mecanim it's not terribly hard to find bipedal animations that you can use on any relatively standard human-shaped rig, but if you're thinking about a less than standard-shaped character you'll likely have to make everything for it from scratch. Personally I'd feel that creating and animating a skeleton first, and retrofitting a character model later, is a bit of a backwards workflow - normally I'd make the mesh first, then create a skeleton that fits it and animations that work with that etc. If you're going for standard human proportions though, I guess it's not necessarily a big deal. Things like having an allowance for different faces and armour etc are not something I'd worry about at the skeletal level; that'd be all in the mesh.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

poemdexter posted:

I was thinking about HTR when I wrote my response and I agree with you. At most, I've worked with two developers and an artist and we already had a workflow agreed upon to help with some of the Unity quirks you mentioned. A team of your size would probably be like trying to herd cats to keep your Unity project in a state that can compile.

TFU had upwards of 100 people working in Unity on it. We had a LOT of tech art scripts and importers and Perforce voodoo and automated build processes running constantly to keep everything together. From my dumb artist perspective, it worked out okay... mostly.

(Then again, TFU died a horrible firey mass-layoffs death - but I don't think Unity had much to do with that.)

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I LOVE FILLING OUT SURVEYS so I'm going to respond to this one even though I'm an artist and not really a coder. I learned enough Javascript to cobble together little things-that-aren't-quite-games in Unity though so please don't run me out of this subforum.

1. Do you use a particular framework to develop your games, or do you roll your own engine? If the former, which one(s)? If the latter, what drove the design and development of that engine?
I generally use Unity, because Unity is nice and I understand Unity and C# is not completely terrifying and there are lots of variously-useful things for free/cheap on the Unity Asset Store. I tried UE4 one time, and while the end result was pretty and I like their shader editor I hit a brick wall of how-do-C++/blueprints-are-confusing when it came to making things actually happen. Now that Unity has PBR shaders, I'll stick with that.

2. Do you have any formal training in game development, such as a college degree, or are you primarily self-learned?
I have a BA(Hons) in Computer Games Art. I learned the fundamentals at uni(it was more useful for networking/gradually learning to adult really), and the rest has been learning on the job or in my own time. The degree did very briefly cover Actionscript at one point, but tbh all my code knowledge has come from Codecademy/hanging out with programmers.

3. Do you work in the gaming (as in video games, not gambling) industry? If not, would you want to work in the gaming industry?
Yes. I've worked in games for about six years and can't really imagine doing anything else, career-wise.

4. Have you studied design theory in the context of game design? If so, how have you incorporated it into your games? What resources have you used?
I read a book about level design one time? I don't consider myself a designer, or at least not a designer of gameplay mechanics. Everything I know about game design I've gathered from a) experience making and playing games and b) talking to designers. The things I make by myself aren't exactly games, but when it comes to UI design at least I look at games I've played and incorporate the ideas I think worked best.

5. Are your games open source? If not, are they at least publicly available on version control sites like Github?
No. No? Nobody needs to see my shamecode. If I ever make anything worth talking about in my free time, I'd happily write up a postmortem, maybe release some art assets on the Asset Store, but nobody's going to learn anything edifying from looking at my bockety code.

6. Have you studied the source code or design documents of other games, e.g. the Quake 3 source code? If so, what have you learned from doing so?
Code/design documents no, but I do love delving into the guts of games I've enjoyed(in particular World of Warcraft and Dragon Age: Inquisition) to see how their assets are put together. I learned a lot about customisation systems and how to make modular character assets from WoW.

7. What do you feel is the largest problem (or problems) in game dev these days? What do you feel could help alleviate these problems?
This is a real big question cause 'game dev' is such a huge church - from tiny indies trying to get their games noticed on crowded mobile/PC marketplaces, to AAA juggernauts running on insane budgets and production schedules that make them intensely averse to creative risk-taking. So, discoverability and conservativism are definitely problems in their particular areas. I have no idea how you solve the discoverability problem, but I'd love to see more studios turning away from chasing AAA million-dollar cannot-afford-to-fail projects and making something like... AA games? Big but not insanely big, with more breathing space to explore underserved niches and experiment with ideas.

8. Do you follow a design and iteration process, formalized or otherwise, for developing your games?
I write down ideas and I draw pictures of the ideas and I keep the pictures I like best and then I make the pictures into a thing. So... not really, no.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

So I've decided to go from being a hobbyist to making a full fledged product. It's a hack-n-slash game targeted toward PC, and possibly console if it comes to fruition.

I'm a journeyman game developer and professional coder and I'm proficient in both Unity and Unreal, and I don't really have a preference towards either. What I lack, however, is thorough knowledge of the asset creation pipeline. This is a bit of a problem because a robust modular armor/clothes system will be very important to my game. I want to be able to have a system where adding armor/clothes to joints or attachment points is not difficult, and be able to continually add armor pieces as development progresses and my artist gives me new pieces. Also the armor pieces would need to follow along with the model as it moves, with some associated cloth physics when necessary. The game doesn't have to look fantastic, however, the ability to make good looking characters is a priority.

Would I be better off using Unity or Unreal? And what would be my overall steps to doing this?

As someone who relatively recently made a set of assets for modular character customisation for a Unity game, Unity can definitely do this just fine, but then so can UE4. So I wouldn't base my choice of engine on that, because either will do the job. And they both support more mesh formats than just .obj, thank god - obj doesn't support anything like skeletons, animation or skinning information, so you'd be a bit SOL for character art if that was all you could use!

It depends a bit on what kind of art style you want to go for, but the way I usually go about it is to create the character base mesh, and all of the different clothing/armour pieces, all as separate meshes skinned to the same skeleton. Export them to your engine of choice as .fbx files and you should be able to load different items onto the character without too much trouble. As long as they share the same rig, adding more pieces as you go along shouldn't be an issue.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Jsor posted:

For 3D modelling for characters in games is it more common to sculp a high poly model and then retopo the finished product into a saner lower-poly version, or model from the ground up into your poly count with, e.g., box modelling or whatever?

It varies, but generally we start with the high-poly sculpt - basing it off poly-modelled basemeshes where needed - and retopo afterwards.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I use git at work and it loving sucks and the amount of time we as a team lose to wrangling git messes that artists and designers have managed to get into because git is incredibly difficult to understand if you're not especially technically-minded is unreal.

We use Perforce for handing our art source assets and almost never have problems with that.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

The way we(small programmer-heavy team) do it is all our source art assets - concept art, Maya scenes, PSD texture files, Substance stuff, etc - go in Perforce, which the artists use and the programmers never have to think about and it's all smooth sailing except for that one time it turned out we had somehow disabled exclusive checkouts and I lost a bit of work but I had a local backup so it was fine. The actual game files, exported engine-ready assets, code, data files etc are all in git, because programmers like git and presumably they have their reasons, I wouldn't know. This unfortunately means that artists have to interact with git to pull and build the latest version of whatever feature branch we're currently making assets for, to change branches, to make changes to data files, and to push our work when it's ready. We have some scripts to automate some of these processes but can't completely avoid having artists touch git, and that means sometimes you end up having to send in a programmer to unsnarl a sobbing artist from the hideous thorny brambles of a huge merge conflict.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

limaCAT posted:

Without design documents how do designers communicate their intentions and wishes to developers and artists?

Slack, email(for that one programmer who refuses to use Slack), JIRA task descriptions, cryptic post-its...

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Oh my god, I just realised the 'how to use computer: this is a mouse. this is a file. what is a hard drive' classes we slept through at school because we already knew all of that poo poo might be actually valuable now that nobody has a desktop machine at home anymore.

I bet they don't do them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I bought Zookeeper DX for 70p in 2011 and it remains the only game on my phone.

Monument Valley was good too in fairness.