Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

Problems which have well defined inputs and outputs and operate as a pure function (like a parser or a sorting algorithm) lend themselves well to automated testing, and when you find yourself solving this type of problem TDD can be an appropriate and helpful tool. Problems which are more like a continuous simulation with lots of persistent state evolving through time in response to inputs (the main portion of most games) are poorly suited to automated testing, and TDD can lead to tremendous incidental complexity for little benefit. Use the right tools in appropriate situations.
If you have a deterministic game engine, you could record inputs and check that changes you make (optimizations, refactorings, ...) that shouldn't affect behavior don't by comparing game states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

With instances and server-only patches that don't break compatibility, transparent upgrades are simple.

Ensuring that you don't break compatibility, both for the client protocol and for server data storage, is the tricky part.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

j.peeba posted:

Alright, finished the game! Of course there's still plenty of things I could've done and wanted to do but I'm getting too tired to continue. :)

Check it out:
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-29/?action=preview&uid=5503
I enjoyed the difficulty of this game. It's small and simple, but the combination of varied enemies and weapons with destructible environments makes for exciting gameplay.

Seashell Salesman posted:

God I really can't stop seeing pillars now.
That's how they're implemented in game. They hover a little ways above the tile "casting" the shadow, which only strengthens the effect (you can see a gap if you look closely at the gif).

Unormal posted:

Describe to an alien on the phone on the other side of the known universe (so you can't point out a shared object to reference) which way is left and which way is right.
You could discuss asymmetries inherent in the laws of physics.