Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

That has been my problem with trying to develop a game.

I'm a VB.NET developer (but with lots of experience in C# as well) and XNA is very interesting but I have absolutely no interest in becoming a full-time game programmer nor do I find it fun to program a game engine. (eg. writing an input manager, collision detection routines, etc)

I just want to make fun little games.

That's why that tools (engines) like Game Maker and Unity3D are so appealing because they handle a lot of the "boring" parts for you.

However, the trade-off is that you are limited in what you can do. For example, I really want to create a multiplayer isometric type of game but it seems very difficult unless you write the engine yourself.

Anyways, it seems like if you just want to make a game and have no experience in the backend details then XNA might not be the best choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

That IceCream engine actually looks really neat... is it still being developed? The news page seems to be old and the videos page is even older (2008).

Are there any other good 2D engines for XNA? (besides FlatRedBall, which I already know of)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any browser game engines (ie. Flash or plug-in based engines like Unity3D, etc) that are primarily 2D and support UDP?

Basically I'd like to create a multiplayer 2D game that can be played in a browser...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Aves Engine looks nice... too bad it's not out yet and won't be available to indie developers.

Unity3D looks nice. Unless you pay the $1000 (or is it more?) price for the professional version you don't have direct access to sockets but instead but use their built-in networking layer. I'm not sure how well it works though. Also, how well does it handle 2D? It seems like it's built for 3D (hence the "3D" in the title, heh).

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Seems like a really big hack though :(

(and would there be things like collision detect, response, physics, etc?)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What options are available for creating browser-based games?

It seems like Flash is by far the most popular followed by perhaps Unity3D. I know that Silverlight also exists but I'm not too interested in that at the moment.

Also, does anybody have any comments/opinions on browser-based games versus standalone games? I'd like to create some simple games and it seems like requiring the user to download and install software is a considerably large road block.

For example, I recently tried Transformice (and love it), but I wouldn't have tried it if I was required to download it first...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What's the fastest way to prototype some simple 2D games?

I'm using C# as my primary language (it's what we use at work, etc) so I know I could use XNA but even that requires a bit of work to display sprites, menus, etc.

Ideally I'd like something extremely high level (for .NET?) that I can create menus and then move some sprites around, etc. (Maybe my best bet is Windows Forms and GDI?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Paniolo posted:

Use something like Stencyl, Game Maker, or Unity for prototyping.
Thanks... I've been fooling around with Stencyl but it doesn't seem to have any GUI/UI elements which is kinda strange. I know that Unity has them but I'm not sure about Game Maker...