Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was thinking based on suggestions in The Other Game Design thread to use Unity/Futile for 2D game design, would it be worth picking up any reference books for Unity and if so what would people recommend? My 'local' bookstore has Professional Unity and C#: Multi-Platform 3D Game Development, any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So the mushroom is whats giving off the light right?

By a more complex Graham Scan you're kinda just basically going around corners of the local geometries until your back to where you started and voila, that's your lighting (and by extension, everything else is shadow?)?

e: Also for some reason that last picture freezes my browser to scroll over it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

seiken posted:

Ok, here's the fruits of my labour. I linked it on another page so it doesn't break with the huge gif and I can blow it up to twice the size.

Lighting test!

Next up: normal mapping, so the tile details are lit consistently with the rest of the lighting.

:allears: Any chance will you be licensing this code or making it open source?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So at school I have my Computer Graphics course and we're doing OpenGL, since the professor has kindly informed us several times that this course has a heavy workload I decided to do the wise thing and hit up an OpenGL tutorial.

I'm at Here

Is this a "good" tutorial? I've taken some multivariable calculus and I feel like something is missing here.

I also have the 4th edition of the OpenGL Superbible (blue/green coloured?) that I picked up years ago when I first got into Computer Science but haven't looked at until now, is that a good reference book?

How cross compatible are the 'lessons' of OpenGL and DirectX? I've been thinking my intermediate goal will be Xbox game development with XNA/whatever its successor is for the XBone.

Also about game kits, I've seen GameMaker and Axis Game Factory on steam and look interesting, anyone used either of them or do serious game developers just code everything from scratch/Unity?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

OneEightHundred posted:

I haven't looked at the APIs in a while, but as of D3D10, they were practically interchangeable except for pipeline setup weirdness (i.e. D3D IA stage, lack of stage splitting in OpenGL which I'm pretty sure has been remedied by now, sampler state being part of the texture in OpenGL), and OpenGL being full of legacy poo poo.

The mathematical-level stuff is going to apply no matter what.

I would generally recommend learning D3D first because D3D is much more aggressive about culling legacy stuff, so nearly anything you can do in D3D has an equivalent OpenGL feature that operates very similarly, and practically anything that exists in OpenGL and not D3D is some obsoleted feature that's only still in because the CAD industry is suffering from monopoly-induced apathy.

Generally right, but this is a class I need to pass/do well in so assuming reasonable time constraints I don't think learning D3D is going to be feasible at the same time/first.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not sure, here's the outline:

And this is our course textbook

Which under no circumstances except literal gunpoint will I doll out full priced money for.

The OpenGL tutorial I'm looking at is for versions 3 and 4 however, and regardless of the obsolescence of the material if I want my bachelors degree in CompSci I need this course.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Its all one semester from roughly now until april. :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh, sorry. Haven't been in college in a few years now (oh gently caress I feel old, I am not old what is this) for some reason I thought midterm meant end of the fall semester / start of the spring, instead of mid-semester like it does. :doh:

Yeah I agree with this.

I would say, if you really want to get a jump start on the class, go practice your matrix math. You want to have that poo poo down solid. Anything related to geometry you're shaky on, go practice right now. Can you calculate a surface normal using pencil and paper? How about applying a transform to a set of vertices? You'll probably go over it a little in class, but he's not going to teach it all over.

Have you worked with quaternions before? You probably won't HAVE to for this class, but they're kinda confusing and very, very good to be comfortable with when doing rendering.

Nope, quaternions haven't appeared in any curricula yet and isn't as part of my mandatory core as far as I can tell. Though I have looked them up a bit during work hours :shobon:

Surface normal I had to double check but that's just the vector that's orthonogol to the plane so yes, that's easy. I'm only a little annoyed at the online tutorial for not being terminologically consistent.

I'll look up quaternions and brush up on my matrix and vectors.

quote:

I don't understand what you mean by your intermediate goal is Xbox/Xbone development. Are you talking about career goals or something you're trying to accomplish for class?

Career/Hobbying. I was thinking of aiming to be an indie developer for the console market. So far I got a good idea how to do that for the 360, still confused on the Xbone though, does anyone know if XNA is still the framework for XBone development and whether a consumer XBone is all I need to test/develop games?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 15, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Yodzilla posted:

I've had multiple devs tell me that quaternions are best understood just enough to use them in your game because any more than that and you're going to need to spend months reading books about them.

I do have a very good math tutor if need be but that's promising and good to know.

quote:

I think you're a bit confused. XNA was just an accessible framework for indie devs to get their foot into 360/PC dev, it was not the only way to make games for the 360, there was still the standard devkit. Not every 360 indie game was made with XNA. Plus XNA has been discontinued so you won't be seeing it on the Xbone.

In any case console markets probably have the highest barrier for indies right now, so I'd suggest making something for desktop/mobile first before trying to break into those.

I understand that, but as far as I knew XNA/XNA Connect let me deploy a build straight on my consumer 360 console and test if it works (As a student the 99$ app in question was free).

quote:

And just use Unity (or something like it), that way if you make something good enough for a console, you already made it for a console!

It is frustrating though, that with Unity you can make something cool using Kinect, but you're still gonna be banging your head against a wall to get it XBox-published, and you can't even usefully release it for PC because who has a Kinect hooked up to their PC?

Question about this and continuing from above, but, if I have a console, say the 360 or PS4 (My understanding is that Sony is probably ahead of Microsoft right now for Indie support, and obviously I don't want to limit myself to just one console)or Xbone, and I make a game in Unity, how do I deploy it to test it?

Is that a thing?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So for modern openGL I was using This tutorial and I'm now convinced its terrible, its very hard to follow along, it has code differences between the examples it never at all mentions or even remotely implies.

Are there any better online tutorials for modern OpenGL?

e: Managing to learn some stuff by brute forcing these tutorials and experimenting, really wish this was better though. The key thing for me was putting stuff into functions so my main is less cluttered and confusing.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 20, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DaVideo posted:

http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/index.html looks pretty good and has some samples available, though I haven't gotten very far into it yet.

Just glancing through it and it immediately comes across as better. Thanks! (It actually spends time on Vectors!)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I remember back a few years when we had a course where we hand made our packets in C++ for a simple chess game. :bahgawd:

I should email my old professor if I could have that assignment/tutorial, might be useful for games that really don't need lots of stuff?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've been trying to figure out how to design an urban level for a shooter using google maps to look at different cities and... A lot of em are just too... Gridlike? How do they do it in the Cod/BF games? Getting cities to feel like a linear corridor?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah I was trying to find some dingy European city for that, I've tried Kaluga, Volgograd, and Moscow as my first picks, while there's some interesting urban terrain there with their giant apartment tetris block complexes they're still a little wide open.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Boz0r posted:

How big do you want your city to be? If you want it large but tight and interesting, maybe try finding several small cities and combining them. Like all those small hillside cities in southern Europe.

Oh in general I was just looking at it in 1km^2 chunks.

Does anyone know to what extend modeling in blender carries over into Unity? Such as applying soft body physics and other modifiers to the mesh.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've been taking a class where we've been working in Unity.

So far I think 60% of all of my debugging problems originated with Unity in some way shape or form. :mad:

I think I spent 30 minutes figuring out why for some reason the X axis is shared for both analog sticks for the gamepad for instance. Or that my state controller can't seem to handle simultaneous states (spinning and moving).

Though enough complaining, I have a question, if I have some sort of effect that I made in blender such as say a transparent sphere that emits a little or has some special effect, but Unity doesn't seem to wanna import it straight up. I assume I need to write a shader for that material right?

Is it just Create C# Script > Write the shader > drag and drop onto the material in the inspector somewhere?

The Unity docs seem bafflingly shallow on workflow.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SupSuper posted:

There's an explicit "Create Shader" option. If you already understand shaders, this should help you with the Unity-specifics: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cg_Programming/Unity/Minimal_Shader

Thanks man, for the most part I do as I roughly know Opengl and did shaders did, although obviously recreating the effect might take a great deal of work. :smith:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have another question, suppose I have a game objects and one set of scripts to define its behavior, the statecontrollerscript and statelistenerscript.

These work and have say, three different actions they have (shoot blue bullets, red bullets and mauve).

Now I want to have a second or more model, but have them do a different action.

I had tried setting a public variable so that I could test the behavior and pass 0 to one and one to another and two for the third but they all end up doing the same exact action at the same time. What's happening here? The game objects are dragged and dropped into the game with the two scripts attached and then I try writing 0 or 1 or 2 based on what behavior I want them to do.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SnowblindFatal posted:

What do you guys think about achievements? To me, they're a symbol of the rot that's eating gaming, a bit like microtransactions (though less so), but they're also becoming more and more a standard. Also I've seen some people say that some game is alright, but that it would be better if it had achievements. Are these a significant portion of gamers? Is it a big deal at all?

Here check this one out

The "You beat the game" achievements are tools for the devs to get objective metrics on player progression. If 90% of the player base don't beat the game or stop playing at a certain point this is one way of knowing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is there a reason I can't palette swap within Unity or am I missing something? I duplicated a prefab, tried to swap some textures around, and it did it for the other one too.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SupSuper posted:

Make sure you're selecting/editing the prefab instance in the scene, not the library prefab.

I did, I'm pretty sure it still effected both in scene instances. So far though I bit the bullet and just did the swapping in Blender and exported a second model; all I need was two so that's fine.

My biggest issue now though is that whatever variable is the "latest" in my state controller is what's set as the value for ALL instances of that state controller and its baffling me. I can't seem to have two models with the same attached script do two different actions, the latest action/variable is the value for all instances.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

orenronen posted:

The best thing that happened to my Unity programming methodology is UniRx, a port of the .NET Reactive Extensions that sadly not many people know about except for a small cult following among the Japanese Unity community (which is where I work). It not only makes standard RX work in Unity, but also provides many Unity-specific additions that makes most common tasks achievable in a reactive way.

The library doesn't force functional methodology on you, but since it's built on top of functional ideas you are often lead that way when using it. There's a somewhat steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it the kind of things you can achieve with one or two lines of code is almost magical. It's astounding how applicable it is to every aspect of Unity game development, from UI to recognizing complex mouse gestures or input sequences to achieving complex timing effects, with almost no effect on performance. Seriously, if you're using Unity you should check it out.

I'm working on a strategy game in Unity and I appreciate this link! :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So the client who contracted me to work on his game idea (and just after I delivered the latest milestone) has informed me at our scheduled meeting that due to financial difficulties and sudden expenses he cannot currently pay me (the last half, he paid the first half). He strongly seem to imply that he probably won't be unless he manages to find an investor as he was in a legal battle with his former boss and a Canadian agency had told him he would be getting the bulk of what he would be owed and he intended to pay me with that money.

However it appears that will not be happening. He told me that I should put the project on hold and to give him a couple of weeks to hopefully find some good news.

On the bright side it is a learning experience I guess? And I do have a mostly complete prototype I can now demo as part of my portfolio? I was expecting that the project probably wouldn't find investors but I didn't really expect to not be paid the final amount due.

Has anyone experienced this before, what did you do?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Stick100 posted:

Sorry that's a bummer, did you get paid for 1/2 of the work or did you get paid a fair amount for what you did? If you got paid a fair amount for what you did, then move on immediately and consider carefully if reengaging with him only. I'd demand in the future he pay a significant amount up front if you end up moving forward later.

If you are owed a significant amount of money, you can attempt to collect but likely won't get anything.

This is also why when you get into accounting you talk about captured and uncaptured revenue. It's easy to be owed money but it can be hard getting paid. Microsoft used to run something like net 90, which means they would pay contractors (non-game as far as I know) almost 90 days after being billed. They always paid but that gap was tough for some to deal with.

If it's a moderate sum of money you're owed best thing you can do is send an invoice and follow up every once in awhile. If it's a ton of money you might want to contact a lawyer but likely that won't go anywhere.

Sorry it's a bummer to work and not get paid but that's just a cost of doing business. Just because they owe you money might not give you the right to the IP you created for them however.

The contract was 16$/hour (but for only up to a maximum of 160 hours, any time worked more than that is on my own time), and I have been paid half of that total. So the remaining amount is roughly 1,200$, I don't know if it's a lot or not, it might be something I can reclaim via small claims court in Quebec. So far though the consensus among my professional software developer friends is some variation of taking the code hostage until he pays but being polite and professional / chummy in the meantime in the hopes that he follows through in payment or perhaps a letter of recommendation so I can use him as a reference.

So far I've revoked access to the github repository but will send him a compiled apk but with an added unobtrusive watermark in the corner that says "Work in progress build developed by [Raenir's Real Name]".

Hopefully this is a good compromise that shouldn't burn any bridges but also makes it clear that I'm taking this seriously and professionally.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jewel posted:

This is "Okay" for first-time contract stuff but as you get deeper, remember you can get a lot more.

In the UK the median daily rate for a "Programmer" is ~$500/day, but "In the UK they could cost between £450-£750 per day as contract resources or up to £1,100 to £1,750 per day through a tier 1 consultancy." which is up to $2,300 a day! And in america; "In the SF Bay Area in particular I would expect to pay a good senior software developer in the range of $1,000 to $1,600 per day."

Regardless, obviously you wont be making anywhere near that high unless you're incredibly good at what you do and have a lot under your belt; plus subtract a lot because gamedev contracts aren't anywhere near as sought after by companies with too much money; but it's food for thought. You could be getting double that with a solid project under your belt, I'd say?

Either way, at least you got paid half! Remember to make contracts, always.

Yeah it's my first contract job and I wasn't fully confident in my abilities, like the ability to give a decent time requirement is something that doesn't exactly come to me easily yet. So I accepted it on the basis that this is like a paid internship with the potential to maybe be something more (it probably won't but at least there's the experience plus partial compensation). I imagine 25$/hour would be the more fair wage for my current skills now; my time management needs improvement.

quote:

The problem i have with unity and ue4 is that I am no 3D modeller, I can code, I have ideas in my head, but the best i can do is a blue square or a green square and don't even go into positioning a 3d model.

Some games can have addicting mechanics from just being squares and primitives, such as the Impossible Game and Linea.

You can also get sample assets, either from the Unity Store that are free or cheap, or the Unity Standard Assets package, to try out complex 3D gameplay with existing models and use that to create a functioning prototype.

As said in an episode of Extra Credits your job as a developer to be Chief Problem Solver. So here's your Problem Statement: "I do not know how to make decent looking 3D assets for my idea."

So now you have a choice. Either adjust your idea to fit these constraints, for example, for whatever reason let us suppose THE COLOUR BLUE is too expensive, so just make a game without the colour blue and work around it. So instead of making a 3D game or trying to make 3D assets you could stick to 2D or try to take advantage of the fact you can't make 3D assets to be creative in different ways. Can't make a model of a person normally? But you can make cubes? Why not make a person composed of cubes?

Your other choice is to download blender and look up some free tutorials on youtube and create for yourself a functioning workflow to make basic assets, props and characters and to overcome the constraint directly.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tann posted:

I was at that stage a few days ago. It's annoying. I ended up making some utility functions like CreateRectangle(x,y,width,height) that scales up and tints a 1x1 pixel sprite for you. Probably a bad way to go about it though hah.

I've always found it bizarre how Unity and OpenGL v5 make it really difficult to draw primitives.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My introduction to the power of interfaces was creating a FSM for a simple AI that swapped between Patrol - Alert - Pursuit states. I liked it a lot, simple, clean, and powerful.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm trying to prototype a Tactics/Ogre style battle system but for WWII planes and I'm some difficulty figuring out what sort of camera gives me the best view in terms of feel and functionality, but it's a bit of a struggle finding a good compromise, does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Just trying to nail down the look.

I think a standard Orthographic camera just doesn't work, so I set a perspective camera to a narrower field of view at 30 degrees to lessen depth perception of to give me enough perspective such that planes that are "above" or "below" or further away/closer can be visually seen as such.

I'm experimenting with maybe transparency for planes that are "above" your current layer, and darkened if they are below your current layer with other visual clues such as highlighting the square (white if the plane is below/above, blue if it is the currently selected plane, and I am thinking green for friendly/red for enemy).

I think a current problem is that "ground" as I would like there to be "land" units that you can have planes attack, so having an appropriate sense of scale is proving an interesting challenge. I'm thinking of changing the grid to white dotted lines to draw your eyes less to it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shalinor posted:

How many "layers" are there? Is it continuous, or discrete?

If by discrete you mean that to go up by "1" is also a "space" on a board with a fixed size, yes!

quote:

If it's a discrete set of just a few layers, like say 3, then I'd recommend using cloud layers as your dividers. Give the whole thing a sense of movement by having the texture on each layer scroll by, and it should be possible to read the height of your plane based on how many cloud layers it's underneath. That is, instead of worrying about a true ground plane, set the whole thing in the air, and make it be (turn-based) dog fights.

Just to check, you're not necessasarily suggesting abandoning the idea for "Ground Attack" mechanics right? I feel that at a glance what you suggest should such that the "lowest" layer is the layer that can attack stuff on the ground and thus the lowest layer can be the ground plane. As I don't necessasarily want to abandon that aspect unless I'm forced to. It's also kinda important because this game takes place in the Eastern Front where most of the aerial combat took place at lower altitudes.

edit: Google implies that there SHOULD be clouds at the altitudes in question.

quote:

I'd probably start by trying to make a system that would support any number of cloud layers, and varying it up/down to see how many layers you can get before they cause too much noise to read the relative height of a plane within them. Or just set up some scrolling cloud layers and manually place the planes in between to get a feel for it.

Yeah, as I probably want the maximum "height" be abstractly related to the flight ceiling to the vehical in question (the plane that can go higher can dive at the plane that can't follow) so this definately makes sense.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 14, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Turtlicious posted:

This a dumb question but what is the asset store for and is it free?

The asset store is like a market place for stuff to import into your Unity3D game using some sort of license where you're allowed to put any Unity Asset Store asset into your project AS IS with no risk of copywrite infringement (but it's usually bad manners to not make some sort of modification to better suit the mechanics of aesthetic of your game i.e "asset flipping").

The price point ranges from free to Very Expensive depending on the size, scope, and judgement of the individual or company who posted the asset in question. The assets can be small, like a texture, texture back, prop/item/etc to WHOLE entire systems and utilities, entire scenes, or even game prototypes.

Caveat Emptor.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sweet! I'll post there too and also try out what you suggested.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Ever so slowly I am trying to figure out how to use my Computer Science education to make my game better organized and managed by refactoring my code to use the MVC pattern because I kinda hit a brick wall in that my UI is giving me a massive headache. It's basically an Ouroboros of coding eating itself and I need this to be a little more clear before I can really progress with adding more core functionality.

I think I had actually managed to duplicate functionality completely by accident when I was constructing my debugging environment and it was at that moment I realized I had a problem.

The hard part was the initial jump in figuring out "Okay, what in Unity would make an appropriate View, what does the Controller do in this context?" The only thing straight forward was the model.

I figure in general the UI Buttons just directly trigger methods in the View which should send events to the Controller and then Profit.

This site was helpful and answered my questions.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 18, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody know how interfacing with Unity's event system works? I have a GameObject with an EventSystem component in my hierarchy. I then implemented IMoveHandler in one of my components in another GameObjects. That seems insufficient to connect everything. So how do I actually get the events to transmit over to the other component?

Edit: It seems like I have to make my stuff a component on the same GameObject as the EventSystem. So I have to do all this plumbing myself?

The definitive example for me for the purposes of MVC

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BirdOfPlay posted:

What's the purpose of an empty interface?

I think it's for the Factory template further down.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BirdOfPlay posted:

I get that, but it also means that you'd never use this interface unless you already knew it's type. I don't know, designing a hierarchy "just in case" seems counterintuitive to me.

Does questioning an empty interface make me a bad programmer like what the interview thread is talking about? :ohdear:

It's an tutorial so I think the purpose is "Here you can put extra stuff so you can have factories for your factories." I can't call public methods unless the Interface has them declared is what I've encountered so far.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So I'm exploring ideas for a project in my Advanced Games Animation class that will let me finally make use of my V2 Kinect for Windows instead of having it collect dust; so far the two ideas my Prof. suggested was either:

(a) Shadow art, where the projector/computer screen shows an image of your silhouette. Taking all pixels that are "near" and making them black, and all other pixels are white.

Pros: This one is probably the easiest RAW, I imagine the SDK has good documentation on how to take real time input from the Kinect and for each pixel in the shader sort by distance, change colour accordingly done.

Cons: I feel like "Shadow art" seems kind of weird and doesn't "feel" like it's my ally. Sure there's ideas I can think of for pattern recognition games but eeeeeeeh.

(b) So our first major assignment is to make a very simple graphics engine/viewer, where we import a 3D model and can pose it through manipulating its bones. Like a really stripped down version of Blender. The idea here would be to extend this to support real-time animations from the Kinect. The Kinect presumably, already handles the Skeleton/Skinning stuff so just gotta output the visual input from it.

Pros: Probably more in line with what I'm aiming for, gives me some experience with 3D animation workflows, and I can spruce it up with my own models, maybe use 2D assets and animate some sprites in real time, cool stuff.

Cons: In someways I feel like it's too straightforward, I've done a variation of the assignment before so I just need to link it to the Kinect is the "challenge", which might be very difficult, or it could be very easy.

So for A & B I'm not really innovating or figuring anything out, I don't think there's a large enough of a research component beyond documentation for the Kinect SDK.

BUT, I have my own idea I thought of when I was talking to the professor:

(c) Integrate the Kinect with VR headset.

My idea here is to have a UI similar to what Iron Man does with his projected computer monitors where he swipes with his hands and it either brings up or dismisses a window? Something like a simple version of that; have a Augmented Reality projection of some software window displayed by the VR, but have the Kinected recognize the hand movements of "Hey Dismiss this window" or "Hey bring up this window".

For (C) does anyone know if Unity supports the simpler Android/VR solutions on the market? Like the 20-60$ headsets where you just slot in a smart phone?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Anyone in the Blender to Unity3D/Unreal workflow pipeline have any suggestions for lipsync'ing a character model? I'm using Rigify (I paid for Autorig pro but it had too many issues) and it seems like animating any kind of dialogue by hand will get tedious fast.

I could just not bother and save a lot of time but I am at least curious about the process.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was worried that would involve shapekeys or something since I have my rig setup to use bones already but it seems Rhubarb works with normal poses according to their github: https://github.com/scaredyfish/blender-rhubarb-lipsync

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Maybe this problem/question is worth its own thread, but how do I go about writing a VERY basic compute shader in Unity3D that utilizes the real time ray tracing capability of RTX series nvidia cards?

I found this blog here which is great, for writing a basic ray tracing compute shader in Unity3D; but as far as I know, this doesn't use the capability, and also as far as I know a RTX card won't just automatically kick in just because there's ray tracing happening.

I opened up the HDRP+DXR start up project here from the documentation but it's still fairly intimidating, especially in comparison to the the blog linked above.

Basically how do I go about making the absolutely most bare bones Unity3D project and compute shader (or is it that new "raytracing" shader?) that will use the hardware capabilities offered by the RTX2080?

I basically just want to play with the shader and colouring basic primitive shapes and don't want to mess with an existing scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

You need DXR 1.1 and Inline Raytracing to use Raytracing from a Compute Shader. Otherwise, you're stuck with the dedicated ray-tracing pipelines, and I don't think Unity has support for them. But, I don't know if Unity's shader pipeline supports DXIL and DXR 1.1, since it needs to use the newest DXC versions.

See here for the shader APIs that you need to use: https://github.com/microsoft/DirectX-Specs/blob/master/d3d/Raytracing.md#inline-raytracing

Yeah unfortunately I wasn't able to figure it out from this, but fortunately a kind soul at the Unity forums provided me a working demo scene with the DXR 1.0 raytracing shaders doing 100% of the rendering in the Game view (when in play mode).