Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I'm throwing a game together in RPG Maker VX Ace. It's nothing special, just that the gimmick is that pretty much everything is some kind of loving quest.

For example, if you walk into town and bump into a flower, it'll give you some kind of bullshit objective. Same with rocks, trees, grass and pretty much everything you run into.

The monsters will also break the fourth wall with some kind of bullshit speech before engaging you in battle.

You can level up by petting animals. I'm just throwing stuff at the engine to see what sticks.

EDIT: I've also written a 2D engine using Allegro. It runs at a fixed frame rate across a vast range of architecture. Would anyone be interested in the source code?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Boldor posted:

Arcane question, I'm not sure where to ask.

I'm reverse-engineering old computer games, primarily on x86 or possibly x64 architecture (DOS/Windows), but 65xx (Apple ][, Commodore 64) is also on the table. (How old: 10+ years bare minimum, mostly 25+, possibly 40+.)

What I'm trying to crack is the random number generator, which is key to many older games. This long ago it was common for programmers to roll their own RNG (believe it or not, this was actually a good idea in C before 1997) but far from universal. I'm not sure where I can find previously-done work on this, however; this is difficult enough work that I'm trying to avoid reinventing the wheel.

All resources I know of are either primarily hardware-focused (like vogons.org), or are concerned with adventure games which mostly don't use RNG (like the ScummVM forums).

Is there such a thing?

I don't believe this exists for DOS/Windows (you can easily find it for specific console games, like the original Final Fantasy), because all sources I can find are not reliable enough for my purposes. I'm currently looking at the Turbo Pascal library, which as far as I know is best described in The Random Number Generators of the Turbo Pascal Family (1991). That's reasonably accurate but still has some mistakes and omissions, and anything else I know of (Wikipedia, or any other academic paper I could find) is worse.

If that doesn't exist, I'm interested in curating a list of RNGs .. except I'm not sure where to put my work, aside from "my own Github repository, or Web page". What forum might be most interested?

In the old days on the Commodore 64 we would generate a random seed using the 6581 sound chip white noise waveform, which is literally random numbers that you can hear. So if you can find a white noise generator you’ll be able to spin up pseudo random numbers pretty easily.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Going to be the coding snob here and say that unless you code your inner loop in assembly language and then hand roll everything else in C, you are not a real developer yet.

Lol, I’m actually being a teensy bit hypocritical and actually use Unreal or Game Maker or ClickTeam Fusion because rolling my own engine is actually really hard to do. I did back in the Commodore 64 days but computers have become just a tiny bit more complex over the last forty years.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Charles Ford posted:

At one time or another I tried both Unity and Unreal. I didn't find the Unreal documentation *too* bad but it was definitely easier finding examples on github of what I wanted to do. I was interested in procedural generation at the time and so I wanted to know how to construct a mesh (say, a terrain, but I wanted the knowledge generally anyway) and so I did find a procedural terrain plugin on github, but the code was atrocious. No instructions and no null checks meant it crashed the Unreal editor constantly, so I had to fix all that to unblock myself and *then* learn how it all worked.

That's basically how I think of them in my head - Unreal is C++, which is a fine language I enjoy generally, but every mistake you (or anyone you're relying on, like code you found somewhere) made might crash the editor, and it'll make you fix it before you can reload it, and Unity is more resilient, since C# is a managed language and so it can just go "uh nope" if you make a mistake, in a more graceful way. I have actually said "Unity is like the Python of gamedev" to friends, not counting that Python itself is the Python of gamedev, since it lets you hack stuff up fast and easily due to the general lack of giant crashes, but I liked Unreal anyway.

I think C++ is a little easier than you think, as long as you throw some exception handling into your code with error messages that make sense to you, that’s half the battle right there.

Seriously, go nuts and make your errors as verbose as possible; it’ll actually help a lot.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Idea Guys are hilarious. I had an IdeaGuy who wanted me to convert his MATLAB calculations into a real time C++ application that perfectly simulates wear and load and full physics on a drill bit drilling through different strata.

In real time.

In 3D.

He told me it should be super easy.

I told him that he would need a small army of experts.

LOL

e: Now he is trying to get ChatGPT to write an app for him. I wished him all the best in his endeavors.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 16, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

It's extremely important that you get a Statement of Work. Period. Do not move until you get this in writing because scope creep is a hell of thing.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I’ve always preferred developing in OpenGL over Direct3D so Vulkan looks like it’s right up my alley. I actually really love low level poo poo. Video games were too expensive for me in the 1980s, so I taught myself machine language so I could crack the copy protection. I learned a ton about how computers work on a very fundamental level by stealing video games.

E: every cpu on the planet cannot function without a stack, stack pointer, registers and status flags, just to mention a few examples.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 28, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

leper khan posted:

I've made CPUs (in vhdl) that have no fixed registers, no stack pointer, no defined region of memory as a stack

And even written programs for them taking a few hundred lines of code

I uh... I didn't try to port a C compiler to them though.

Hey that’s really cool. You must need some kind of instruction pointer or reference to tell the processor where to start running instructions. You still need to create registers, fixed or not because they are the workhorse of the CPU.

Can you create your own status register in vhdl or is it easier to initialize separate flags to handle overflow conditions and branching?

Are there bitwise functions for rotating binary numbers through the register for input/output functions? Can you specify whether the output is big endian or little endian?

Like I said, I love this low level poo poo

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Even though I'm pretty comfy with C and very comfy with Assembly, I'm using an ancient copy of Gamemaker Studio 1.4. It's a lot of fun to write games and then export them to HTML 5 just to see them work on a hosted site. Gamemaker also obfuscates my code really, really well.