Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Oh dang, I've seen your posts in the Paradox threads for ages but I had no idea you were working on this kind of thing. That's super cool.

Anyway hey thread, I've been learning Unity for the past year or so and I'm kicking myself for not having looked for this kinda thread sooner. Pretty interesting to see peoples' projects!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Anyone here done much VR dev / have advice? I made a relatively small game using a Quest 1 via link (and made for Steam VR for the platform) last Summer and Fall. This next year and a half or so I'm planning on making a bigger game, ideally for the actual Quest store, and I'm trying to think of what to do for the development device part.

Because the thing is, in my experience anyway, Quest 1 via Link was a colossal pain in the rear end to develop on. When playing games it's been great, but when trying to playtest my buggy Unity poo poo it would disconnect all the drat time, and sometimes it got really hard to tell if it was my problem or Link / my motherboard or whatever. I love VR so I'm fairly happy to pick up another headset just for developing on really and I was thinking of getting a wired one to hopefully avoid my perceived issue, but then I've also been hearing great things about Quest 2, so I'm wondering if 1. Link works better for it / better in general since last Fall (or perhaps I should develop on Virtual Desktop instead of Link?) or 2. I should just suck it up (once I figured out a few tricks, it did get less temperamental on the Quest 1) since it seems to make sense to develop on the platform I'm wanting to release on?
For a while I was thinking about getting a Rift S just for the wiredness but it seems like a shame to get a platform that's already basically obsolete; and then going for a non-Oculus also seems like not the best idea when I'm wanting to release on Oculus. Or are there other people that have worked on Quest that didn't have a problem? I did all my testing etc via Link (and my last game wouldn't have run well on Quest), but maybe I should be playtesting on Quest as a standalone each time or something instead?

Also kind of just curious about how worthwhile owners of Quest 1 think a Quest 2 is to them? The performance bump is really appealing.

e: For that matter, any VR theory books people would recommend would also be welcome. I did that Oculus + Unity course a bit back which goes into common stuff like avoiding motion sickness, FOV goals etc; read some from Brenda Laurel (Computers as Theatre, some lectures) but her work is mostly concerned with pre-2010s stuff, and I just recently started Jason Jeral's The VR Book which looks relatively comprehensive but is still from 2015. Curious if there's anything more recent people'd recommend?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Al! posted:

Hey thread, if you were going to start a hobbyist VR project what engine would you gravitate to? Unity and Unreal both have demo projects to start with so they seem like my best options so far. I've mucked around in both and I've found Unreal a lot easier to work in, personally, but a lot more mysterious when I'm trying to solve a specific problem (as the post above says). Is there another option I should consider as well?

What with all the stuff Unity's been up to lately I wouldn't at all blame you for wanting to start in Unreal or Godot, but Unity is a lot more straightforward to set out in. Meta's newest update to the Oculus integration with the 'building blocks' makes getting a project going completely trivial (you could go from 0 to a demo scene where you can throw a ball in probably 5 minutes), and there's a wealth of tutorials and communities for it in a way my impression is there just aren't for Unreal.

I don't use Unreal but when I look through the e.g. Oculus docs the Unity section is massively more fleshed out, although Meta's announced they're putting more support into Unreal going forward.
I'm just sort of assuming you're using a Quest here, but even though other devices won't be so straightforward, the basic sentiment holds. If Unreal has particular appeal I wouldn't say don't go for it; unless you're developing for Vision Pro you can do all the same things, but there'll be less information to draw on.

Anyway despite what I just said, have people here got much experience jumping to Unreal from Unity? I've been using Unity for 5 years and in a professional context (mostly VR exhibition work) for the past couple, but like a lot of people have been kind of mulling over making the effort to switch for the past couple of years. Most of my work is non-PBR and heavily art focused so aside from the part where I'd need to learn C++, seeing Unreal generally be focused on PBR is my big concern. Anyone have experience with stylized projects/Unreal shaders? How does it compare?