Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

D34THROW posted:

Okay, so I have been wondering for over a decade, since first trying it, just how the gently caress Spore did what it did: you can export a picture of your creature/building/vehicle/spaceship as like a 128x128 PNG. That PNG can be dropped into a directory or another player's game and it reconstructs everything. I thought there had to be some sort of engine in Spore to reconstruct from a PNG and it never dawned on me that the item's name, creator, and design data were embedded in the PNG itself and that additional statistics were derived from that :psypop:

EDIT: Found a whole writeup on it along with a paper by people who developed the procedural animation technology for Spore.
Just read the thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886188

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The cool cam is a project saving feature

https://thedailywtf.com/articles/the-cool-cam

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it seems like 4.0 tiling now actually works

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Did you include

-no console to test commands live

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

For the first two cases, why not just spawn them offscreen at the same distance from their ending points, give them all the same motion path, and just stagger when they start moving?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

roomforthetuna posted:

If it's always the same then yeah, you can manually tune it like that. But if the destinations are dynamically positioned (like the number of buttons depends on how many controllers are attached or something), or even if you just might want to change the layout a few times during development, then you're better off if you just mathed it properly in the first place.

Nah, i mean have the object start at ending_position.x-screenwidth, or something like that. Dynamic positioning if you change the design and move the ending position, but ultimately a fixed motion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You probably want a dictionary, so you can lookup apple and from there get the weight and number of slices associated with it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Godot is probably as annoying as Qt when you don't know what to do. I managed to understand how to do something when I press a button, for example print something to debug console.

But how to draw something on screen when a button is pressed, well that is a great yet uncovered mystery.

As with most godot questions: make your thing as a scene, spawn that scene as a node when needed

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, godot 4 is out :toot:

EDIT: and it looks like there's no current way to make it scale pixels properly, and sprites are bleeding all over the place. back to godot 3 it is

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 1, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Godot 4 still has issues but some of the features are noticable improvements.

If you want a pixel perfect game stick with godot 3, while it takes a little wrangling, g4 can't manage it at all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

If you're wondering where the graphics filter settings went they moved it from individual resource import settings to node settings under the CanvasItem properties, and you can set an overall default under project settings -> rendering -> textures -> canvas textures. If you set that to nearest, then 1x and clean zoom levels on a camera should look crisp like they did if you imported them that way in G3.

That fets you part of the way there, but there are still problems with jitter and sprite bleed once you have moving objects and moving cameras

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ranzear posted:

There needs to be a word or definition for demanding that certain kind of exact perfect visual control, like pixel perfect 2D despite arbitrary scaling/rotation or exact lighting models that output in perfect gamut.

Because gently caress all of that in the indie space. None of it is an aesthetic. It's programmers pretending at art direction. I'm guilty of this in the past. Nobody else sees it.

If your artsy pixels are small enough to be aliasing visually on modern screens your aesthetic is no longer 'pixelated sprites' regardless.

"Make more ugly games" is my fresh mantra. "Just be sure text is legible" is my stealth edit follow-up.

I totally notice jitter in games i play and it seriously annoys me when things vibrate back and forth for no reason

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My word wrap code checks a full word ahead specifically to avoid that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

As long is the physical resolution is sufficiently larger than the internal resolution, you'll have no jitter, no worming, no mismatched sizes, and no other amateur-hour artifacts of that kind.

... assuming all sprites and cameras are internally aligned with exact pixels, so when rounding occurs for where they are positioned on your small canvas it is always 100% consistent, so characters never shift at different times than the ground beneath them

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I tried godot, unity, and unreal, and godot was the easiest for me to get a 2d sprite project off the ground in due to good tutorials, while unity and unreal both seemed like 2d was an afterthought in a 3d system.

Can't say godot is perfect or anything but at least it's improving over time :shrug:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Godot is a fine choice, but your initial projects should not be your dream project. Start small. No, smaller than that. Still smaller. Make the smallest possible game you can that is technically playable. Make Breakout, or Tetris, or Pong, or something along those lines. You can put your own simple spins on the concepts if you like, just keep the mechanics and scope as small as possible.

The reason for this is that game development is hard, and finishing games is, in itself, a skill that needs to be practiced. You'll learn a lot by making small games, and build skills that will make the process of making slightly larger games go waaaaaay more smoothly. Without that practice, odds are that you'll get a little way into making your dream game, get stuck, and quit from frustration or depression.

In any case, good luck!

The alternative is to be Toby Fox, make your dream game first and become a multimillionaire

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

leper khan posted:

You mean be Toby Fox and have a girlfriend willing to support you for several years while you work on a project that has no reason to make any return on the time spent.
you're thinking of the stardew valley guy, Toby spent the dev time living with his parents and (metaphorically?) in Andrew Hussie's basement

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'd say in godot zelda style combat is easier programmingwise than a turnbased rpg (since character and npc movement on the map are easy and something you'll need to implement anyway), but it requires a lot more assets and animations to do compared to a single static enemy sprite.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

roomforthetuna posted:

You also have to do more multiple-moving-things collision detection, and keep track of more moving objects (if there are ranged attacks) and stuff like that. But yeah, you do get to avoid the additional menus of JRPG, so maybe it's a wash.

yeah doing that from scratch would be harder, but since Godot's got a lot of physics built in you don't have to handle collision yourself, and spawning/autodeleting projectile scenes is easy peasy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think Unreal Engine wants three monitors. One for IDE, one for the editor, and one for all the YouTube videos I have to watch to figure out how to do anything.

the quest 3 gives you exactly three views at once

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The virtual desktop stuff? I was following that awhile because I was really keen on the idea, but it looked like it would ultimately make your neck snap and eyes bleed. Can somebody with poo poo-rear end vision actually read well with that stuff?

I used a quest 2 for like a week when my monitor was broken, it works as a comedy option or shortterm but i would not recommend for serious use. Who knows about tbe newer ones

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Good news, it looks like a bunch of the rendering errors in godot's 2d pixel engine are getting fixed in the next release. All the sprite bleed and jitter i have seems to be resolved

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gary the Llama posted:

Link to source? I can’t find anything about that online yet.

talked with one of the devs and listened in on the latest pixel perfect rendering discussion. My two test builds which have big jitter/bleed issues (one of which from 2022) both now work in his latest version. PR is going up for that soon, and it looks like there's going to be a lot more work on other pixel rendering stuff in general

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Something something, premature optimization

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Is this a good thread to ask about Godot? My kid is doing game design and has hit a problem that seems like it should be really simple to solve but

Basically it's a physics object that should be emitted and then keep moving subject to physics. Instead it just pops out and stops.

Is it running a _physics_process thst includes a command like velocity=move_and_slide()?

Might need to set initial velocity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I appreciate watching the dumb mario 64 optimizations that Kaze does on youtube but I personally have no interest in finding the shortest number of opcodes for a good sine or removing branch instructions because modifying the code in memory is faster.

Just let the compiler handle it, I am doing a 2d game I probably can get away with things which are ludicrously inefficient, let alone "not perfecrly optimized"