Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

If you want to have your hand held you might want to check out one of the longer paid tutorial series. They tend to be more in-depth and have you building actual projects along the way instead of just showing you one out-of-context technique. They won't show you anything you couldn't learn elsewhere, but you're paying for the hand-holding really.

When I was looking there was a commonly recommended course on Udemy by Ben Tristram (only buy Udemy courses on deep discount, I think you can always get a sale or coupon for like 90% off). I also heard that the unity learn stuff is free now? If so there might be a couple courses there that fit the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

That looks like gimbal lock. It's basically a limitation of euler rotation, you can see how it works here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc8b2Jo7mno

I believe the typical solution is to use quaternion rotation instead. I'm not very experienced with this kind of thing though. There might be a way to detect the problem and switch the order of x/y/z dynamically as needed.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

That's a funny/weird example because for me, and I imagine anyone else who took the time to try and figure it out, it was incredibly easy to notice and I got it right away because I had to read the whole thing to know what was going on. It was only hard for you because your dumb human mind was like "yeah yeah I know this poo poo" and didn't bother to pay attention to the []. Like when you're editing your own writing and your mind just decides to helpfully add in the "the" you've left out of the sentence. :banjo:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

For play/pause my preferred is a pause ( || ) button that appears raised/depressed or inactive/active depending on if the game is paused. Same for accelerated and muted. So by default you'd have a panel that is ABB with the icons inactivated, which expresses, respectively: not paused, not accelerated, not muted.

Otherwise yeah, if the buttons switch then it's a tossup in my mind whether an icon means it is active now or it's what I get when I press the icon. And I've definitely gotten them confused even in programs I've used. Especially if there's something could be a pause or mute like an especially long period of blackness or no sound... is it supposed to be playing right now or is it paused? Which way was it again?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

HaB posted:

So I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle the map part. Whatcha got?

TIA.

Make a different image and color-code all the different regions like I've started to do (badly) here:

Then you display the original uncolored map to the user. As the user hovers over the map, you check against the colored map instead. With the colored one you just sample the color of the pixel that corresponds to where the user's mouse is, and cross-reference that to a table of color values and areas. You can do that by simply hiding the colored map below the graphical map or by converting the positions or however. From there you can do whatever it is you want to do with the areas.

EDIT: VVV Oh yeah, I forgot OP was going for web based, this might not be the right choice for that sort of thing as making clickable areas has been common on the web for ages.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 28, 2022

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah, arrays are arrays are arrays: they do always have fixed length. What a programming language actually gives you when you ask for an array differs. Or differs depending on how you ask for an array.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The retroactive aspect was a massive poison pill. Almost anything else could be forgiven. If they were like our next version's license will make you pay a 30% revenue share people would definitely be upset but at least you can just say no to a new license. If you agree to a 30% split that's on you, and you might not like it, but there's a certain inherent fairness to a transparent new contract.

But adding a new fee to old licenses? You can't do that because now I can never trust your contracts. The whole point of a contract is that it describes the entire relationship and I can know what I'm entering into when I decide to take it or leave it. The certainty is the point. How can I sign a contract with an entity I know is willing to just unilaterally change the terms in the future?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

roomforthetuna posted:

It's tricky because the modern license is for a period of time, rather than for a version, so it's a lot like "your lease is up and I'm increasing the rent next year" (though doing it *immediately* rather than "after the next renewal period" is surely not legally binding, unless the original contract explicitly said that was a thing they could do).

Time-based licenses for a thing that is not inherently a service are, of course, a huge piece of poo poo.

Huh, I hadn't actually thought of it like that. I guess then part of their mistake was making people like me aware that this is how the license works.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

Pardon? Did I mistype Unity somewhere? I looked but I don't think so unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "unity builds".

It's a specific method of building C++ programs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Does anyone know how to delete an unloaded actor in unreal 5? Like why can't I just select it and delete it? Anyway...

It was supposed to be a packed level actor, but UE crashed when I was making the blueprint so it won't load, because there's no blueprint. But I can't delete it because it's not loaded. So now it's sitting up there greyed out in my outliner. IS there a way to like go into the map and delete it outside the editor or some other trick?

EDIT: I found the solution! From here https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/world-partition-cannot-delete-unloaded-actors/525969/28 which says you need to enable the "Package Short Name" in the outliner, which displays the name of the uasset file on disk. Then you just search for that in your project's folder and delete the file (they only speculate you can delete it and do some other workaround, but you can just delete it).

I swear half of learning Unreal is learning how to not break it and/or fix it when it breaks. I have no idea why it is so fragile.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 17, 2024