Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krapfen
Jul 9, 2001

Seems like some of you guys have quite some experience in game development. What language would you recommend to somebody starting out? I'm very experienced with PHP and have programmed some complicated stuff in C, too. Some time ago I started learning C++, but to be honest, I didn't really like it (as opposed to C, which I like a lot!), stuff like overloading operators just seemed weird/hackish to me. Reading this thread it seems like a lot of people develop newer games using C#, which I find quite surprising considering C# is slow compared to lower level languages like C/C++ (?) and requires people to install .NET/Mono.

I'm using a MacBook and Leopard, so Ruby, Python, C, C++ and C# (using Mono, obviously without XNA) are my most obvious options (comedy Obj-C option). I'd love to learn Ruby or Python, because I could use them outside of game/demo development (for system administration tasks and GUI or web applications), but they seem quite limited for game/demo development (slow, no "professional" frameworks like XNA or DirectX available). I don't plan on developing professional / commercial grade games, 2D and simple 3D should be alright, but then again you never know where you'll end up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU