Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanutmonger
Dec 6, 2002
If you're really most comfortable with C, you can try fooling around with SDL. It's a C library and it's very easy to use. I've got a few projects that I toy with that use it when I have the urge to write games (SDL complications are never what make me stop though, just my re-sorting priorities). As an added bonus, SDL is cross-platform, and all of the projects I've made I end up working on them both in Windows and Linux (as long as I keep my autotools/VC++ Express files up to date). SDL handles all of the window creation/rendering, so it renders identically without any code modifications. You can also move to using opengl rendering in SDL if you get tired of 2D, though I've never done such.

As Bonus said, though, don't bother choosing C if your reasoning is for speed. First games are more like prototyping than anything, where pumping out simple but progressively better games is the best learning method. It's also the most satisfying, because it provides a juicy carrot every time you finish one which, at times, is useful when you're running out of motivation. So, really, choose whatever you're best with. I just wanted to let you know that C is still an option if you're stubborn and slightly masochistic like myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU