Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It's been a while since I lurked in the game dev threads. Is this mostly just programming or do 3d artists hang out here too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hooray! The game I was an art lead on for a little more than a year is launching today! Lets see how many bugs pop up that we will have to patch this week.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I didn't know if that was allowed! I worked on the Colossal Cave remake. I was the level designer / lighting artist / environment art lead. It was a very surreal experience.

Edit: My background is mostly in mobile. We built the Quest 2 AND PC version at the same time. I am very tired.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Yeah! It was really surreal. Playing Kings Quest games and seeing a woman developer as a kid lead me into the field. It's an interesting game. I feel the quest 2 version is the real version. It was a challenge to work on both quest 2 and PC simultaneously with the team size I had. It's definitely meant to be a love letter to the original game.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Contentato posted:

Well that's just awesome. The reel looks like someone time traveled from the 80s and designed a VR game using modern hardware - and I don't mean that in a bad way. Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

We went for "charming". One really neat aspect of the project is all the artists under me were fresh out of school and this was their first industry job. I love being able to give people an opportunity and since my actual full time job is a professor teaching game development, it was fun to mentor in a more one on one role.

I stand by the Quest 2 being the "ultimate" version of it. Its an interesting VR experience, but the game play might not be for everyone. We kept as true to the original parser game from the 70's as we could. Our design docs was info ripped from the original fortran. With that said, while we tried to keep true to what WAS in it, we did come up with stuff that wasn't in it. Its fine for a parser game to say something is a dead end, but in a 3d game, that's not very interesting.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

leper khan posted:

Did you laser scan the actual cave? I know there was a web port somewhere that used images from the cave in each room.

No. I did A LOT of research into the original cave. There are similarities and I did VERY loosely base a little of the first part of the cave on the layout of the original. The original cave doesn have Dragons and Dwarves so we were able to take a lot of artistic freedom with some of the visuals. The funny thing is that photogrammetry is one of my better skills, but we didn't use it on this project.

Contentato posted:

That sounds just fun to build - or at least to me, taking an ancient design spec and converting it into a modern structure. Giving me nostalgia for games that just kicked you out with a GAME OVER

I've never ran into a game dev prof in the wild, do you get bored of looking at amateur indie work all the time or do you take requests for reviews and feedback? (I published my first game last year, shared it in the making games thread here)

One of the things I'm worried about is people playing it and not understanding that old games killed the gently caress out of you whenever it could and you needed to save often and iteratively! I had my 10 year old testing the Quest 2 and Switch versions and he was getting very frustrated until he started doing that.

I'm not sure if I am the greatest person for feedback haha. I have my special talents mostly in environment art and level design. Playing student work can get old, I admit it. I think our program is great. I teach at a community college so its super affordable and the only barrier for entry is graduating highscool / GED. We get a lot of people who might not have been accepted to a larger, more expensive college.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Unreal has the robot tutorials.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When you get an idea, cut the scope in half. Then, cut it in half again.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you are going from only python experience to Unity which is C# and you have never worked with a similar language, you could also try to remake your python games in Unity.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Edit: Wrong thread.

Relevant. Any devs going to the east coast game conference?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Neat! I am talking. I have to go every year for my job so talking is an easy way to get a VIP pass.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Work through projects on learn.unity.com to get more familiar with how unity flows.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think you are looking for the fivver website. This is website for old millennials to share memes.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The clusterfuck is even more stupid:
https://www.axios.com/2023/09/13/unity-runtime-fee-policy-marc-whitten

"As for Game Pass and other subscription services, Whitten said that developers like Aggro Crab would not be on the hook, as the fees are charged to distributors, which in the Game Pass example would be Microsoft."

I teach both Unity and Unreal to students in college. Unity is just such a nice engine as an intro engine and is a lot more accesible for students. I don't have to worry that they don't have access to a machine outside of class that can run Unreal 5 (it sometimes doesn't even like playing nice on our lab machines).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Oof. Idea guys. Get paid up front or at least every week so you don't lose too much of your time.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Mordja posted:

Not to defend somebody I don't know, but the game itself is definitely in some level of full development in that I've seen footage and such, it just seems like a first-time, solo effort. More than some ideas scribbled on paper, at least.

How is it in full swing when the portion that has a lot of the work done in pre production is not done?

Edit: we aren't trying to be negative. We've all been down this road as greenhorns.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 17, 2023

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am very confused going to Unreal from Unity. I was expecting to have to do build a little sandcastle fort by stacking individual grains of sand with tweezers. Instead, it's holding my hand so much and obfuscating everything to the point that I'm not sure how to actually change anything. This is not what I expected.

I had started from an empty level and enabled the stock third person game mode with a start point. So now I have a camera following a player from the start point I define. How do I then get the camera to, say, look more top-down and just stay in one orientation over the player?

Something else I'm wondering for much later is how I can serialize state to save a game mid-flight. I had all this Unity code but I'm assuming if Unreal has something like ECS that I could save my component states and probably get 90% of that right there.

Also, Linux support. Like, the last thing I really had me stuck on Windows was the Unity editor, so I think my next computer could just be a Linux box or something.

Very strange feels here.

Open the player blueprint and look how its set up to do the camera stuff. Look at the camera settings because you can turn off things like pawn control rotation. Is it attached to a spring arm? See how thats attached. I don't have it open in front of me and its been a while.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you don't have any game development experience, despite all the drama, I would recommend Unity for that. If you know C++, C# is much more fun.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Game Maker is free now if you are looking to make a 2d game.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

tango alpha delta posted:

Even though I'm pretty comfy with C and very comfy with Assembly, I'm using an ancient copy of Gamemaker Studio 1.4. It's a lot of fun to write games and then export them to HTML 5 just to see them work on a hosted site. Gamemaker also obfuscates my code really, really well.

Unity can also export out to html 5. I usually have my students host theirs on itch.io

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Unity needs to buy the Asset Hunter Pro tool.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

jizzy sillage posted:

Also helps if you have a significant other who supports you and can cover the financial necessities because gently caress if you'll make any money doing that for a few years lmao

Or like me and have a significant other that also does game dev and you both get annoyed so you learn all of the skills to make your own games together!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I also teach game development at the community college level. My husband is a TT prof that teaches undergrad game stuff!

I just had my 10 year anniverssary of teaching full time. I didn't think I would stay at this job for this long, but dammit, the stability and summers off is nice.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

One of the more important skills you learn in a game dev program is how to learn. If you get thrown at a new / different program for a job, how do you get competent at it quickly? I've had to use 3dsmax, maya, and blender for various projects.

I teach a tech art class spring semester. I had planned on teaching tool creation in blender using Python. Of course Blender 4.0 comes out with node tools in November. I didn't have time to learn it myself but it seemed important enough I changed the last 3 weeks into them experimenting with guidance to create a tool with it that they would want. I warned them that if they hit an issue beyond a basic one, I can't help. I have no clue, but they are free to reach out for guidance from the blender community. The only thing is they have to document for me their process and where they get information from. Welcome to the wonderful world of tech art! You are the one that has to solve the problem!
It's turning out great. I have some students who are really getting into it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My background is environment art / level design, but I did pick up programming. Most of the classes I teach are more of an art side slant, but I try to explain a lot of the guts of the engine with the art. For instance I try to give them an appreciation of batch counts / tri counts. Understanding what those are and how they can affect your game can help with the why of why you should approach your 3d art a certain way.

I might be a little unique in my situation with teaching it at a community college. The only barrier to entry is you need a high schoo diploma / GED. I get students frequently who have zero experience with technology other than playing games.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You should come over to the professor thread in the Science, Academics, and Language forum.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I can't remember if I've shared this anecdote here:
I'm teaching Maya. We stick with the built in units of cm so that it doesn't get all pissy when you export out to Unity and it remains consistent. When I was starting a demo I told them to start with a half meter cube. A decent majory of them had no clue how many cm that was. They were asking if they were allowed to use a converter website.

I do have to say that the students that put the effort in and make it all the way through do end up having some pretty decent capstone projects despite us being only 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

- having trees on the terrain

As an environment artist I think we should all come together as a profession and all agree that we don't need trees in any game.