Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I'm interested in making a game that would be very text heavy, like a simulation or an rpg. I'm thinking that the best way to store all the different text strings would be in a database, but I've never written a program that made use of a real database before or done any database programming, so I don't really know where to start.

What should I be looking at for integrating a database with a game? I really don't know anything about the issues involved or if there are any good libraries that deal with the situation. Basically I just don't know anything about databases.

I'll likely be working in C++.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I really want to get off my rear end and start programming some games, but I'm so conflicted about whether I want to A) get something up and running quickly and easily via XNA or B) go the more complex route and do something that I can later port to (or develop on) both platforms. I have a Macbook Pro, and I sort of want to maybe make something that can be on the Mac as well, but at the same time I feel that that would be much more complex with having to know about making interfaces for both Windows and OS X and as well having to deal with a less user friendly library (SDL most likely). I'm not sure what I should do.

I'm fully ok with working and using a PC so maybe I should at least do something in XNA, if only to get my feet wet. I just need to make a decision and get started on something. With XNA I feel like I could get something running now, but with something like SDL, there are more options, but I think I'd have to do a lot more learning and setup to get into the flow of it. Gah I don't know what I should do.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Is there a common strategy for dealing with all the text necessary for a text heavy game, such as an RPG or sim? Though I'm not working on anything in that area right now, for some reason the problem jumped into my head recently and thinking it over I haven't come up with a real elegant solution to how to organize everything.

A game I worked on several years ago had all the strings in the game in one text file. Which I'm sure was a horrible idea. I'm not sure how the game grabbed strings from there, but I know that for a while there was an issue where if someone added a string to the game, that file could become disorganized and every dialog box in the game would be shifted by one and the game wouldn't make any sense. Obviously organizing this stuff can be complicated.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Scarboy posted:

New windows (e.g. not a new person talking) are usually handled with a control code in the text. Doing it that way should help localization.

That's interesting. Could you elaborate on this?

I'm curious about the sort of data structure used for conversations. I was thinking that once you get the start of the conversation, the subsequent dialog strings would be part of some list. What you're suggesting sounds like it could be a different method.