Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnakeByte
Mar 20, 2004
FUCK THIS COMPANY THAT HASNT PRODUCED THE GAME IN QUESTION FOR YEARS BECAUSE THEY SUSPENDED ME FOR EXPLOITING A BUG FUCK THEM IN THE ASS I AM A MORON
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Game-Programming-Direct-9-0c/dp/1598220160/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198303208&sr=8-1

Just bought this book from Barnes & Noble. You can get it for $30 on Amazon. So far it's been an incredible read. The first three chapters went from vectors, to rays, to matrices, and it never lost me! I'm about to get into Part II (Nerdy DX Goodness.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakeByte
Mar 20, 2004
FUCK THIS COMPANY THAT HASNT PRODUCED THE GAME IN QUESTION FOR YEARS BECAUSE THEY SUSPENDED ME FOR EXPLOITING A BUG FUCK THEM IN THE ASS I AM A MORON
Don't die, Game Development Megathread! I'm taking a few game development electives this year at school. Should be interesting. Game Development / Design, and Game and Simulation Programming I. It's a community college in Texas for anyone that's interested.

SnakeByte
Mar 20, 2004
https://www.directxtutorial.com/Tutorial9/tutorials.aspx

Someone recommended this website to me. These tutorials are really well thought out, and good for those wanting to transfer their skills to DirectX. I dunno about the "professional" tutorials though.

SnakeByte
Mar 20, 2004

The Monarch posted:

Can anyone point me to a good, recent directX tutorial/website that won't make me pay for anything? I have a copy of visual c++ and the directx sdk, but a lot of the tutorials I'm finding are pretty out of date.

SnakeByte posted:

https://www.directxtutorial.com/Tutorial9/tutorials.aspx

Someone recommended this website to me. These tutorials are really well thought out, and good for those wanting to transfer their skills to DirectX. I dunno about the "professional" tutorials though.

Did you miss this? The free tutorials on this site are ace. They're recent, easy to understand, and they all compile.

SnakeByte
Mar 20, 2004

Vinlaen posted:

I still need a massive 1920x1200x32bit * (amount of screens of terrain) texture though, right? (when using 1920x1200 resolution)

The reason I keep coming back to this is because I'm going to build the visual terrain using many smaller textures, etc. I'm concerned because 1920x1200x24 * 5 screens is a massive amount of texture memory and may not work on older video cards :(

Well older video cards can't handle screens that big. But then again, older video cards won't be doing 1920x1200 either. I think I understand what you're missing here. When you create a texture, it doesn't HAVE to go to the video card. It can be kept in system memory until it is ready to be drawn. So you're video card will only have to keep enough texture information to cover one screen. There's no sense is drawing what you can't see. Does that make sense to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakeByte
Mar 20, 2004

king_kilr posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to find decent sprite images?

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=272386

Here you go. :]