Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professional Lamer
May 11, 2004

by mons al-madeen
I've been learning C++ for a while now hoping to get started writing meaningful games myself, and I think I have a good enough grasp of the language to start applying it. (I have some experience with Java, so I had a decent knowledge of OOP before I even looked at C++).

I am not interested in 3D games at all really, 2D is more my sort of thing. Are there any decent tutorials out there for using DirectX (or hell, OpenGL or some other graphics API) in a 2D context? Most of the ones I find seem to focus on 3D, and that seems like a gigantic branch of games development that I'ld rather not go near if I can help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professional Lamer
May 11, 2004

by mons al-madeen

Squido posted:

Hullo, My friend and I are both looking to make a 2d top down scrolling shooter but with 3d graphics. I am looking for advice on what programming language to use.
We are both artists with only basic programming knowledge and due to our problems in finding a programmer nearby we have decided to learn to code it ourselves. I've read the sticky and looked into Pygame, but the screenshots on their site seem to be lacking in much 3d. We are willing to learn pretty much anything, but would like it to be the most appropriate and useful to us perhaps in the future.

The game will probably have a fairly static camera the majority of the time, with the majority of objects on the screen being 3d. As per the genre there would be alot of poo poo going on, I have heard some languages are slightly slower than others, I have no idea if this would effect us though I would guess it would depend more upon the quality of programming and how resource heavy the art assets were.

Obviously I am doing my own research, but i'd like thoughts from some people who know what they're talking about, any advice is appreciated thanks!

If the camera is fairly static, have you considered having a 2D game with pre-rendered sprites (taken from 3D models) or is that not possible? It could save you a lot of trouble in the long run, but if that's not possible you could look into XNA.