Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Digital Spaghetti posted:

A little update on my game development adventure.

At the moment, I have been learning Python from scratch - so far I'm LOVING it - finding it much easier than C/C++

At the moment, I've not got much further that writing a OO Blackjack game, and some minor GUI stuff, but my next move is to look at PyGame (and possibly Soya3d) to start doing some 3D stuff.

Welcome to the cult :) We are all Guido's children :)

Pygame is an awesome little library, and its drat easy to bully around.

If you want a really basic 3D engine to play around with Panda3D is dead easy. Its very basic, and I wouldn't expect to be able to create anything remotely professional, but its a good little learning tool and its dead easy. Its a shame it doesn't seem so maintained however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ugg boots posted:

I don't see how it's so basic, I mean, it supports Cg shaders, has integrated Physics support, pretty solid model/animation support, and many other features.

You could be right. I haven't checked it in a while, and last time I looked there didn't seem a whole lot of advanced features, and didn't seem to have that active development.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Been playing with PyODE, the python wrappers for the ODE physics engine. Plays real nice with PyGame.

http://pyode.sourceforge.net/tutorials/tutorial2.html

Added a bunch of nodes and motors and poo poo to the tutorial, and just watch it flail around. Neat as hell. Putting extreme values into things makes some pretty loopy 'physics'.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Re NeHe, I taught myself GL based on his stuff, and it was fine. Although in fairness I already had a pretty spot on knowledge of trig and matrix.

Some of it is garbage however, and I'm fairly convinced his explanation of portalling was plain wrong, although the code was roughly right.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

not a dinosaur posted:

I'm driving myself crazy doing low-res pixel art graphics. Drawing sprites between pixel boundaries (ie. floating point coordinates) results in awful display artifacts, obviously- so for each sprite I maintain internal coordinates in floating point, and every time they are updated I do:

code:
display_x += int(real_x - display_x)
display_y += int(real_y - display_y)
Basically adding the integral component of any change in position to the "display coordinates." This avoids annoying problems with integer casting direction.

This worked great at first, but seems to haunt me at every corner. The biggest problem right now is if a sprite starts moving diagonally from non-integer coordinates, display_x and display_y will jump in an alternating fashion. This means instead of smooth diagonal movement, the sprite vibrates along its path.

The obvious solution is to reset the real coordinates to display coordinates whenever an object changes direction. Again, worked well for a while, until I starting implementing physics. Basically, objects can be caused to "change direction" every step of gameplay, and using the above solution means that objects never move. gently caress.

I feel pretty stuck at the moment. Am I missing something really obvious? Does anyone have any ideas at all?

I'm having a similar problem to this, although using GL, which I've found GL_NEAREST seems to solve.

Kinda. This is an iphone though, so things are a bit whacky , being GL ES and all that.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Actually now I think about it, I am having some issues... But its really sporadic. Just a rip, here and there on the sheet :(

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Whilar studying up on this Unity thing , I've come to the conclusion Boo is an incredibly fun little language, sort of like Python on drugs, really good drugs.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

TJChap2840 posted:

Any opinions on SDL?

SDLs more a compatibility and low-levelness layer. Like Direct2d or something, cept it works on lunix and macs too. You probably want to find a nice little engine that sits up a level higher on top of SDL. That said, if you like the feel of metal, sure , why the gently caress not, means i can play your game too (mac).

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

ambushsabre posted:

Let's talk cocos2d for iOS. Thoughts? I have an ~4 year old mac (one of the dual core intel ones) and plenty of iOS devices, if I sign up for the dev thing so I can test right on the device will I be able to compile and load my stuff in a timely manner? I guess this isn't a cocos2d specific question and more of a mac app dev one, but I'd like to know what you're thoughts are on the library itself.

Cocos2d is fantastic. Very easy to use, and has some nice shiny about it too.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Does anyone know how Unity 3.5 flash target works? Did these crazy fuckers actually implement a dotnet/mono stack for flash or is there something whackier going on?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

They wrote a CIL to AS3 compiler, and then compile the AS3 with ASC. Unity is already restricted to a small subset of the .NET standard library. They wrote a bunch of replacements for these.

The CIL to AS3 compiler is in \Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\flashsupport\BuildTools\cil2as\cil2as.exe.

The library is in \Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\flashsupport\UnityPlayerNative.swc.

It would be nice if they open-sourced parts of this CLI support library and the CIL to AS3 compiler, but that won't happen.

Its very frigging clever. But yeah, I definately do keep banging my head on those missing bits of dot net.

Also, it would be nice if folks could just let flash die. I'd like to see a day when I could just uninstall that loving plugin, just so my goddamn browser would stop crashing once or twice a day.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

loving around with 3D stuff, I'm really starting to see why the big 3D titles get so expensive. The codings not that big a thing, bit o matrix and some odd fruit like quarternions.

But holy poo poo are 3D models fiddly fuckers to work with. Asset creation is hard!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

It's not so much that it's hard as that the learning curve is basically a vertical wall on any decent package, and easier-to-learn packages are generally not developed with export capability in mind.

Milkshape is pretty good for prototyping, generally.

Cinema4D is pretty loving easy to use, but its bit of a wallet hit. The import/export stuff gets a bit loving wierd though. Just model it up, hit "bake object" and select single texture and normal maps and your good as gold. The Bodypaint texture/uv paint stuff is loving awesome.

Still getting my head around the animation subsystem though. Theres a few mild incompatibilities that are enough to be more than a little agravating.

The thing with 3D though, is you need a *lot* of it.

e: Also, heres some free money for anyone that wants to tackle it: Theres a lot of money to be made in decent middleware I suspect. A good locomotion system that can actually model walking/stumbling and generally animating a skeleton in a sane way without requiring baked in mocap animations would sell to indy devs like wildfire. Likewise with a good face talking + emotional face mesh deformation system. If you can get it to work with models from evolver, indy devs will loving love the poo poo out of you, especially if you have a relatively cheap version for Unity. Hell, add in A* pathing, and maybe even a decent behavior tree system, and you basically have a drop in AI system for indy 3D games.

Also low hanging fruit: A cheap and better speedtree clone.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 4, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

mewse posted:

i liked the vid where they're like "our walking man can't fall over!!!" and they hit him with like a billion impacts that would knock a real person on their rear end while robot man's legs float merrily along defying gravity

I was looking at some papers last night with my mathematician flatmate, and he summarized the problem well. "The papers on the topic combine biomechanics, computer science, physics, and a hard math problem with no guarantees your algorithm will finish if you want to model it right (I think he was refering to finding optimum IK solutions or something?). Its ugly as hell!

To the best i can figure it, if you wanted to do a convincing legs simulation, you'd do something like

using your front foot, shift your center of gravity to some value of something past your leading foot, effectively sending you off balance forward

then you pick a position in front of you to put your back foot, and quickly swing your leg forward to land there. The positon should provide enough momentum that your center of balance flips forward until its back out of balance but with the axes reversed.

repeat.

So its basically controlled falling and managing the momentum of the center of balance position as to not fall over hilariously in a qwop type manner.

Harder said than done however, since your solving multiple problems, that fight each other in a dynamic sytem , some involving IK equasions that might not have a clean solution anyway. (afak There are P-time IK algorithms, but aparently they are not optimal.) All of which has to be done in a manner that does not resemble some sort of hilarious spaz legged chicken monster (constraints!)

MEANWHILE the top half of your body is doing all sorts of top-half poo poo like flapping around being a video-game gangster.

Then just to gently caress it all up, theres hills, turning ,getting thumped and having to adjust feet position to try and counter it, jumping, etc etc etc.

Its not very easy to make it look convincing, but I'd argue one could make a good sum of cash undercutting the gently caress out of the big-name solutions, if it looked good, because animating skeletons from mocap is a giant loving pain in the arse.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 5, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

salad tong posted:

Seconding the love of Cocos2D--the only big problem with it, in my opinion, is that there are very few "experts" in the community. The general impression I've gotten is that the Cocos2D community has a vast majority of beginners, so it can be kind of confusing getting started with it if you don't understand enough to be able to delve into the Cocos2D source code and figure it out.

Also, anyone working with Cocos2D should really give Kobold2D a try: http://kobold2d.com/

It's basically an extension of Cocos2D that adds a number of convenience features and 3rd-party Cocos2D extensions. IMO the biggest improvement it brings to the table is that it provides a much better solution for capturing user input. In Cocos2D user input is handled by a number of methods baked into CCLayers, which can prove unwieldy or confusing at times, and Kobold2D instead provides a singleton (KKInput) that handles every aspect of user input, including providing a convenient interface for Apple's gesture recognizers. It's pretty handy, considering that it means that all of your input code doesn't have to be in a single place--e.g. input for moving the player character could be contained in the player character class, and UI input could be contained in the update loop of a CCLayer subclass or something.

But cocos2D inputs really easy? Is that all it provides. Lua isn't (personally) and quite possibly app-store rejection bait, and... ?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

PDP-1 posted:

If you folks don't like the crappy walking guy thing, cleanse your palette with something awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwZdXRPeYrc
It's a voxel-based RTS game demo where you build castles and will (presumably) be able to fight things that try to knock your castles down. They have fully destructible terrain and buildings, a task based AI building system, pathfinding in a voxel world, and pretty graphics/animations. This is so close in spirit to the project that I've been poking around on that I can't decide if I'm more happy for them to have gotten this far, or green with jealousy that I don't have more time to dink around with silly vidyagame projects these days.

From a programming perspective voxel engines are amazing to work with and I love to see them evolving past the Minecraft 'block world' stage. Stuff that is hard to do in other systems, like adding/removing terrain material, is trivial in a voxel system and the underlying grid system makes all kinds of new physics possible as they mesh into discrete differential equation simulations very naturally. The hard bit is incorporating other non-voxel objects like trees or solid blocks into the system (and interestingly the video does not show anything about how this is done), but if you can solve that you'd have something really cool.

Oh my god. RTS meets minecraft style big-voxel gaming. loving brilliant dude.

I will play the poo poo out of this when you finish!

Make sure you get Unity's union program aware of this. If they like it, they can deal with all the marketing/publishing/getting it ported to mobile/console/etc poo poo worked out for you.

e: Oh i see its not your project. My bad!

duck monster fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 5, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Argh... ADHD strikes me again. Now I'm intrigued as to how to implement voxel objects in something like unity efficiently

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Gordon Cole posted:

I'm sure it makes perfect sense if you know the language, I've just never seen anything like it before.

Forth is like if someone invented the most simplest , powerful and logically coherent verbal language ever, but it was so different to the way normal humans spoke that if you heard it, it sounded like TV white noise.

Forth in a sentence: Everything is stacks, you put things on a stack then you do something to the stack and put the result on the stack.

Thats it, forth explained. I should also add, that its ridiculously meta-programming-ish. Out of the box it doesn't even understand variables, you need to teach it the concept of variables, usually with a line of code. But then you can add all sorts of constructs to it like Object oritentation and it becomes more and more powerful and expressive as it goes on. And you name it, you can implement the fucker in forth.Te end result is that its the ultimate toaster-coding language, it can be assembly-language close to the metal, but you can implement some serioualy high leve l constructs in it.

I remember in the 90s being utterly mystified why Unix was implemented in C rather than forth. I guess lisp guys wondered the same (although unlike lisp, forth can be extremely fast, not that it really matters with modern lisp compiler design, but it sure did used to matter!)

The details are a bit more complex, but like lisp its all about taking a loving simple concept and using that concept to expand into something rich and powerful.

Also Forth is one of the simplest languages on the planet to write a compiler for, because its such an inherently simple language. My first forth compiler was about 10 pages of qbasic, that compiled it to Z80 code, sometime in the 90s.

Someone who is not me should do a 'Lets teach ourselves forth" thread. Its a language that when the penny drops as to how to "think" in forth, it'll cause you to look at the way you think about code in a totally new way, and your hair will blow back just a little bit.

"Its like Everything is reverse polish now, like out there is the true world, and in here is the dream". Forth won't let you gently caress a giant blue chick though.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 9, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

loving unity.

I've been coding away at an OcTree boxely voxely type thing , mainly because it seems like an interesting thing to do, and I decided to use Boo because it looks a bit like python, and python is cool yeah.

gently caress!

Boo is Mostly like python except it really loving isn't, its sort of C# with crazy rear end syntactic sugar and duck typing usually but not always.

The probelem is, boo is just poorly documented. The boo language has very poor documentation, and theres even less about how to use it in Unity, although I've pretty much been able to infer that part from reading the C#. I spent half a day banging my head on the wall trying to figure out how to pass arrays to a loving function. Something so god drat basic , but yet its not documented anywhere.

Turns out its just def blah (something as (type)):

right cool. Next cab off the rank. Appending to an array. *digs through manual* Oh :smith:

This loving thing. Unity you cunts, just give us ironpython for gently caress sake.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

PDP-1 posted:

I know next to nothing about Unity but from the one or two times I've bothered poke around at it I remember seeing warnings against using Boo. The explanation is that (a) it's not really Python and the small differences will drive Python people nuts, and (b) it's not supported on some platforms (iOS?).

But hey, since you're working on a boxely voxely type thing let me ask you this - does Unity support direct creation and manipulation of vertex/index arrays? Can you give the engine a list of vertex/index data and a custom shader and tell it to go draw the mesh? If not, what are you using to draw your voxels?

e: Can anyone recommend a book on Unity development that is written for programmers? Judging by some of the Amazon preview pages it looks like many of the books out there are written for Idea Guys and don't actually go into much depth on the technical/scripting discussions.

Yep. Its not well documented, but little in unity is!. But you definately can.

My first one just created instances of cubes. Obviously thats not the final solution, so from there I've been building a big mesh out of it.

If I wanted to do something serious with voxels, unity would not be my first choice (although I guess you could probably do something fun using the low level GL interface in unity, but..... meh. I'd like to avoid dotnet/mono exposure where possible). I'd probably just roll my own so I had more control over it, and that'd let me do some of the fancier sort of poo poo folks like John Carmac is doing with these bad boys.

I'm just loving around to see if I can understand it better.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 10, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, basic Unity question...

I'm working on a 2D platformer. Well, I'm in the planning stages right now. I'm working with 2 other people. I'm the main Unity dev (edit: still learning the basics for now, of course), plus the sound guy. I have a character artist, and a level/object artist who's familiar with Maya and 3DSMax. What would be the best way, from a technical point-of-view, for us to collaborate on level design, or for him to even design levels to begin with? Obviously, we should sketch them all out on paper first, but is it best if he just downloads Unity, makes a level, and then sends it to me? Would it make any sense for him to even make one in another program, and then have me import it?

Obviously, as this is a 2D game (with the potential for a LITTLE bit of 3D stuff, which is why I'm not using something like Flixel or Stencyl), the levels will be flat, so maybe the answer is to just stay in Unity, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

As long as your using Unity in a fairly bog-standard way, then yes, he should be using the unity editor to assemble the assets into levels. You do however want to think about how your passing stuff around and workflow. Unfortunately unity is rumored to be bit of a oval office with version control. I dunno, maybe drop box?

Or perhaps the asset serve (no idea, never used it)?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

If anyone is planning on using evolver to generate their generic programmer-art characters for stuff, I suggest you hurry up, because Autodesk if following up its aqusition of evolver by closing it down. Because AUTODESK totally isn't evil guys, honestly.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The 3D tools market is best served by fierce competition. Maya and 3DS shouldnt be "complimentary", they should be at war with each other with both trying to be so drat good it nukes the other out of the water.

But as it stands. the only real alternative to an autodesk suite for big work, is either Maxon's cinema4d which has poor third party support because its not a well known package and blender which is loving mystifying to use sometimes.

God help us all if Autodesk ever manages to aquire something like the UDK or whatever, because it'd handball autodesk way too much industry control.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Just curious if anyone has seen a complete tileset suitable for 2D RTS use? I know most everything is done in 3D these days so... I probably won't have any luck, but I thought I would ask.

Graphics is kind of a bitch I'm afraid. But maybe have a poke around Creative convention, and see if theres a thread for folks looking for commissions. Your always going to get a more original looking app if you avoid using the same frigging zelda clone sprite sheet as the other 50% of apps out there. Goons are pretty cheap considering the amount of college kids on here.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Internet Janitor posted:

The1ManMoshPit: Close. How about a VM modeled after game consoles from the 1980s, with no floating-point support? It's an entirely arbitrary limitation.

The way I'd deal with fast trig when I was making GBS threads around with assembler in the 80s trying to do wireframe 3D (hey man, battlezone was cool!) was to precompute sine + tangent tables (cosines just sine rotated around a phase), and store them so you could do something like LD A (SINEOFFSET + ANGLE) or however the gently caress the mneumonic went, and you'd get an answer in one or two clock ticks as long as you didnt give a gently caress about decimals.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

PDP-1 posted:

Welp, it looks like I'm projecting my microcontroller induced PTSD onto Internet Janitor's project so I guess I'll just shut up.

Gen Y are weak. Us C64 gen kids ate assembly for breakfast, and we LIKED IT.

Except for the fact girls wouldn't talk to us :smith:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Hey, we late Gen X'ers did that too. It was just 80x86 ASM, possibly in a C ASM block.

Mode 13h was the bomb diggity. No one even knows what copper bars are, anymore :(

My first experiences on 8086 assembly scared the hell out of me. my first x86 machine was a Wang XP "compatible" and it had this bug-gently caress crazy hard drive.

I couldn't get minix to recognize the loving thing, so ended up having to write patches for the hard drive driver after spending about 3 weeks chasing down some *very* engrishy documentation from WANG.

The patch got very forcibly rejected by Tanenbaum, who basically didnt accept patches because of some reason I dont really know.

Just the addressing mode differences between the Z80s and the 8086s where confusing enough, but x86 architecture is like layers and layers of commands just patched over the tope of earlier ones. It was messy!

But at least I could run "unix", which was :cool: as hell, at the time.

Oh, and remember Herculese graphic cards? Yeah, theres a reason you don't.

e: actually they where pretty ballin' at the time. Its just that nothing loving supported them, so minix nerds had to try and roll our own :/

duck monster fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 24, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Unormal posted:

push AX, 13h
int 10h
!!!

One thing I always wondered, is why of all errors, divide by zero error got the prestige of having its very own interupt (interupt zero, in fact)

Also fun fact: Back in the DOS days, IBM computers always had a copy of BASIC squirreled away on a ROM chip, that could only be accessed by either ripping out the hard disk or firing off interupt 18h. It was actually a pretty neat version too. Much more C64ish than lovely qbasic.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Internet Janitor posted:

Just spitballing here, I'd be interested to know if any of you folks think this sounds like an interesting idea for a game.

I like the idea of building games that are "educational" and encourage further exploration. When Spore came out I was very disappointed with the fact that the development of your critters has nothing to do with biology or evolution- they're basically Mr. Potato Heads which can have their limbs and eyeballs shuffled around whenever you please. The game certainly allows for creativity, but has no basis in reality. On the opposite end of the spectrum there have been a number of games that involve evolving populations of microorganisms or something but they tend to be very abstract and/or "hands-off" in the sense that you just sort of let things run and tweak the environment a bit and eventually breed a superbug.

The experiments with D. Melanogaster that lead to the discovery and mapping of Hox genes could be an interesting setting. These are the gene sequences in animals that control how the body forms, and small mutations tend to have significant, directly observable impacts- flies with a second thorax, legs growing where eyes should be, etc. Players would take on the role of researchers trying to win grants by isolating the genes responsible for various defects or occasionally beneficial mutations, and players can compete to accomplish other tasks like producing the heaviest adult fly, a fly with the largest number of limbs or a fly that can track down chemically tagged objects the fastest. To create the flies you use mostly realistic methods- selective breeding, irradiating eggs to encourage mutation and limited recombinant gene splicing- and gather data by running experiments, doing gel electrophoresis and writing programs to pore over the resulting data (Like some sort of lua-based simplified Matlab system). Forcing players to contend with the cost of sophisticated equipment and expensive lab techniques could heavily reward good planning and application of scientific thinking.

The idea is to present a realistic view of biological research and "genetic engineering" at the same time as creating a challenging, open-ended sandbox game. Obviously there's a lot of potential for multiplayer both competitively and cooperatively.

Thoughts?

I always thought Creatures had a much more solid basis in actual science, despite its obvious fantasy setting. Yeah Spore disapointed the hell out of me, although its more because it was divided into subgames whereas if they had got all those subsystems into a single seamless universe it would have been a loving amazing little sandbox.

But yeah , actually making the "science" plausible whilst actually putting some economy into the "science" of the sandbox sounds like a pretty neat mechanic and potentially a very educational experience.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

PoisonedV posted:

I am starting to feel reasonably proficient in Python, and development in general (for a beginner.) I'd like to use Unity, especially considering Boo is a python-influenced language, but my google forays also seemed to say that it was pretty undocumented. Is it worth it to try to learn Boo, because diving into an entirely new language at this point just as I'm feeling comfortable in Python seems scary, or are UnityScript / C# better options?

Boo is potentially a really neat language, but its undocumented nature makes it an exercise in fruturation. Your probably better off taking the plunge and working out C#. Its honestly not a bad language, despite its icky algol-family (c/c++/pascal/java) derived syntax.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

German Joey posted:

I'm working on a web engine right now for roguelikes (think Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, or as far as the map goes, any tiled game, really - think Final Fantasy IV, V or VI if it helps), and I was just wondering if anyone knows of any resources I could read about the best types of data structures for storing the map. While I'm sure I could cook up something on my own that would work just fine, I figure there's gotta be stuff out there that could save me time and headaches. My wishlist of features would be :

• 1.) Autoexplore and Autopathing
  • 2.) Fast Panning
  • 3.) Line of Sight / Fog of War
  • 4.) Modifiable terrain
  • 5.) Orthographic Elevation
  • 6.) Supports square, hexagonal, and octagonal tiles. (not strictly necessary.)
  • 7.) Fast perspective switching (e.g. the above for different characters at different locations)

It seems to me like they might be conflicting requirements. For instance, a graph structure implementing an A* search would be best for 1.), while a flat 2D array would be best for 2.) and 3.) and also make their storage in a database quite straightforward. 4.) and 7.) seem like they would be easiest via a seperate datastructure, but that would interfere with pathing. For 6.), I don't even know if it would be possible.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm not worried so much about the way to display of the above, just the backend access.

Your a pythonista right? Libtcod has most of this and a super neato console library but you can probably just ignore the console stuff and stick to the helper functions.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

Since Roguelikes have come up again in the discussion, does anyone have any thoughts on how to do stuff like FOV / Fog of War / exploration in a 3d roguelike? 3D meaning either adding a Z dimension to the map or else heightmaps where the height difference between tiles is enough to block FOV / LOS. Avoiding tons of ray-casting if possible.

Well fog of war isn't really as necessary since your dealing with it from a players, or as close to player as possible , perspective yeah? Otherwise your probably going to have to use tricks like the heightmap thing you mention to fake it out to limit the ray casting.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Mug posted:

Cross posting from the "Screenshots of stuff you're working on" thread because it's a game and its isometric which seems to be the hot thing at the moment.

Here's my "Campaign Builder" and the level I've build running in my game engine.

Are you doing this in qbasic? Because if so, that is wonderfully anachronistic and awesome.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Mug posted:

It's QB64 there, which is QuickBASIC 4.5 ported to Windows so the language is identicle. It was originally running in DOS QuickBASIC 4.5 until I ran out of RAM and got sad.

edit: you can see the development history at https://www.manfightdragon.com.au

If my grandfather was alive, he'd shake your hand. He went to the grave 5 years ago (nearly 90years old) still convinced that "All this structured and object oriented garbage" was a fad and people would return to the TRUE languages of computing, Fortran and basic (preferably on a VMS mainframe).

I believe he also said something to the effect of "Only drat queers affect a LISP" in regards to functional programming.

Yeah, dude was pretty old school, but he was still hacking away on his ancient old lovingly maintained 486 with qbasic (or was it an even older variant, I forget) right to the end. Admittedly he did think visual basic was "useful" although he grumbled that nobody could possibly ever organize their code properly without line numbers lol. Old scientists where cut from a different (read "stubborn") cloth back then.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Mug posted:

Just wrote the following line of code
IF PopupBox.AnimationProgress > 0 AND PopupBox.AnimationProgress < 1 THEN PopupBox.AnimationProgress = PopupBox.AnimationProgress + .075 ELSE IF PopupBox.AnimationProgress > 1 THEN PopupBox.AnimationProgress = 1

Channelling your granddaddy over here.

He'd probably wonder what this dot syntax nonsense about, and wheres the drat line number son.

I remember him once utterly guffawing about the folly of an article in Amstrad Action where a guy wrote a clock on the computer without a single goto, all using gosubs. "The hoops this guy went through to just bloat the drat stack! Doesnt he understand memory at all????? What if he got recursion going? Memory'd all run out and then lord knows what would happen!!!!". And then wondered out loud whether my grandmother would approve an amstrad perched beside the bed to make alarm sounds in the morning. "Nothing wrong with my alarm radio!".

e: He wasn't really as stuborn as I make it out. He was pretty useful when I was learning Pascal in high school, and for all his dislike of structured, he understood it very well, and according to one of his old workmates, the big old PDP where he worked that ran Unix, he actually coded some instrument monitoring stuff (he worked in the chemistry field) in C , apparently quite effectively. Anyway, sorry abou derailing with the grandpa chat. I just enjoy talking about the old man that first taught me to code. :) e2: And my grandma can STIll kick my rear end on galaga.

e2:

quote:

The "dot syntax" is just a TYPE, you can use TYPEs in QBasic 1.1 and above.
Well, yeah. I know that. Doesn't mean ghost of departed BASIC grandpa would aprove however! Re Amstrad. The amstrad was my second computer. Prior to that I had something called a "Dick Smith Wizzard", a rebranded funvision with 4k memory and one of the most primitive non microsoft BASIC implementations you'll encounter. Eventually my family gota 6128 (With some assistance from my grandfather of course, who got it because he felt it necessary I had a real computer) and it was a technological marvel. 128K ram (although only 64K was really available, the other 64K only useful via switchable 16k banks) , mac resolution graphics, etc, etc, etc.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 5, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The Gripper posted:

Well I was originally going to write something about the circles I frequent and the tech I see being used but figured that's probably skewed by my own preferences (I don't hang out on Unity forums), and left my opening sentence anyway without thinking about it.

All I know about Unity from my experimentation with it, is if they pulled that god drat platypus of a wierd language Boo out and replaced it with IronPython, I'd be all over that poo poo in a heart beat.

Its not that Boo is a bad language, it isn't, its just that something thats mostly almost python but not quite in key ways which the manuals dont explain well , also there is no manual, man its just an exercise in frusturation.

And since I cant stand javascript, and don't have time to master C#, meh.... I'll stick with C.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Boz0r posted:

I want to try fiddling a bit with game development. Can anyone recommend me an engine for remaking Blood?

I'm not very good at the creative aspects, so it would be cool if I could use sprites, or if the engine had a lot of free assets, until I could get some proper models. Also, particle effects for fire and a boatload of gore.

Unity's apparently becoming quite decent for 2D stuff. I'm a big fan of the Cocos2d-x (C/Javascript) and Moai options (Lua) for cross platform dev, both of which are open source.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

That's a nontrivial problem with networking too though. Witness the many many Flash games where the top 10 scores are all multiple billions scored by "fart lol", when the best real score is under 4 digits. At least if people are loving with a local file it's not visible to anyone else.

Even Apples game center is filled with this poo poo. Its beyond non-trivial, its probably non solveable, short of running a game simulation at the server side to verify whats going on in the client. Major overkill.

Although I suppose you can run heuristics over it to look for fishy scores.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

So I decided to do a double whammy and re-teach myself C++ (I've gotten really loving rusty!) and learn the cocos2dx framework while I'm at it.

So the logical choice is to use the new 3.0 branch.

Holy poo poo what a learning curve. The C++ i can cope with, to a degree. I used to do C++ a couple of decades ago and slowly the old info is re-revealing itself, although the language has changed a bit now (Did you know C++ apparently has gained an iiterator version of for loops? Neat) seemingly for the better. The hard part is they've changed the loving API beyond recognition from 2.0 meaning *ALL* the tutorials don't work, and all those blogposts dont work. And its not just that they've renamed most of the functions (Apparently they are pulling away a bit from the ObjC by dropping the prefix pseudo-namespaces and using proper C++ namespacing. I guess thats a good thing) they are straight up changing how things work.

The upside is those changes are mostly to use the standard library , which is forcing me to learn the standard library all over again. Thats also te downside.

:negative:

Learning is hard when your an old man.

With all that said, Cocos2dx loving owns bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

shrughes posted:

Man I wish I had time for gamedev :smith:

I guess I mean, I wish I cared to do some side project more than I cared to read the internet and post on SA.

I use a plugin to block all my timewasting sites (Mostly SA and facebook) on firefox when I want to focus on doing other things. Its really the only thing that will let me overcome my powerful inertia and ADHD like attention span.

It has a bad habit of making my guitar become suddenly interesting though. Thats not really a bad thing however.