Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

heeen posted:

Excellent I have been waiting for this. Now I wonder wether I should try Havok or PhysX first. Can anyone compare the two?

PhysX was bought by Nvidia. They also promise GPU support in the near future. The free version of havok doesn't have all GPU enabled stuff.

On the other hand havok's animation tool set is top notch. So I guess it depends on what you need from the physics engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

vanjalolz posted:

Which one is better development wise? Eg. easier to start with?

Do either of them have xna/c# bindings?

I think physx has XNA bindings. Havok isn't really that well supported by the amateur community yet. But if you need an animation system for your game then Havok is probably a good choice. I would say neither of the engines is overly difficult, though they both have their own quirks.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Keeping with the scripting flame war. If you guys need more performance you could stick with c++ for the majority of your program and host an instance of .NET in the program for scripting. You can use CorBindToRuntimeEx to load it and run any AI etc scripts in there. Its pretty advantageous since the scripts would be executed rather than interpreted. Plus you can use various languages (C#/Python/Lua). I was considering using it for my own game. Although I am leaning to a more complex solution now using LLVM. Actually I'm not sure what the hell I'm going to do yet. For me its quickly turning into a redesign the way games are distributed thing.

ValhallaSmith fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 22, 2008

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

ODC posted:

Thanks for the response. I'm not targeting the Zune or needing the new audio system. I'll upgrade in time, but am just looking to get going at the moment with prototyping.

You are far better off with just using c# express 2008 and XNA 3.0. 3.0 also supports C# 3.0, XBOX360 and a few other enhancements. Really, just start with the latest version since any recent community work you might use is going to be on that platform as well.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Horn posted:

Check out Unity 3D. The newest version adds support for windows. It's not free but there is a 30 day trial and an indy license is only 200 dollars.

I've been trying this out as well now that it supports authoring on windows. Its very handy for simple stand alone games and is about the only reasonable game in town for browser 3d games. Short of requiring someone to DL a plugin for each game.

ValhallaSmith fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Looks like Idea Fabrik is finally starting their Free To Play/Social Gaming platform up. If you don't know who they are, they are the company that bought Hero Engine and the associated technology from Simutronics. I got a dev environment from them recently for Idea System and its fairly neat. Basically a specialized version of Hero Engine. More focused on low bandwidth games that are light on server needs.

Only problems I have are that the documentation is kind of a mess, but I've been grinding through their wiki and doing a test area. I figure I can grind a quick test game out and see how it goes.

The price is right, no upfront cost. Once your game hits production they get 30% and supply hosting. So not that bad of a deal. Though having everything hinging on a single entity is kind of worrying.

http://www.ideafabrik.de/
http://hewiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Main_Page